Minimed CGM or Dexcom 7 Plus...Still undecided!

Hello all,

I am new to posting, but not new the the site. I have been a Type 1 diabetic for over 12 years (I am currently 25). I was recently married and my new wife is very insistent on trying a CGM to prevent nighttime lows. I do not blame her - I've had a handful middle-of-the-night experiences in the past and never wish that experience on anyone - even those on my enemy's list.

The problem is I am due for a new pump and am currently debating the options. I currently have a Minimed 715, so I feel most comfortable with their technology. However, I've read nothing favorable to their CGM. While having everything in once device is appealing, the reports in inaccuracies, pain and blood, bulkiness, and the need for adhesive tape are very unappealing. I can get a new Minimed Revel for about $700, after insurance pays their part.

I've also read into the Animas One Touch Ping, because I hear they are integrating with the Dexcom 7 Plus in the future. However, I use too much insulin to accept a smaller reservoir (only 200 units versus 300 in the Minimed). I can get the Ping for about $500, after insurance.

NOW, the question is what do I choose? I think I am set on the Minimed Revel Pump, but keep going back and forth on the CGM unit. Do I stay with one unit and purchase the Minimed CGM? Or do I carry a separate unit, the Dexcom 7 Plus? I've read from numerous blogs that people prefer the Dexcom 7.

Please, anyone with thoughts on this issue or have experienced the same thing, share your advice!

Specifically, is their anyone who uses (or used in the past) a Minimed Pump but also tracked their glucose with the Dexcom 7? I do not think I'll mind carrying a separate device if it is accurate. Buying and using a device that does not accurately report glucose levels (so I've heard the Minimed CGM) is a waste of time, money, energy, emotion, and anything else you can throw at it.

Thanks!!

I am scheduled for a 5 day CGM test in October. Have you considered asking your Endo for this test? I requested to use Dex even though I use Paradigm for its larger reservoir also. I am not sure what this test is called but it is used, in my case, as a way to get more specific info on how my BGs do around the clock and with various lifestyle activities and foods.
I too would not get the MM CGM based on all the online reports, in all chat sites.
It will also give me a chance to see if I can tolerate the extra activity involved in pump + CGM. My endo and NP insist, however, that with the Dex7 you only need to do 2 calibrations a day. Some folks do them much more than that. My endo himself uses a MM pump and a Dex7 as he is T1. He also only does a meter test when he gives himself a bolus and for the calibrations. Not saying this is right for you. Just more info for you.

I have used both the MM CGM and now the Dex 7. I used MM when I had a 722. I switched to an OmniPod pump (200unit reservoir again, sorry) and kept my MM sensor (using the pump as just a receiver basically). I got tired of having to restart my sensor after three days. I could NOT get the darn transmitter to stick to me. I could not comfortably get the sensor inserted into my stomach (one of the best places for accurate readings). [All of these issues were present when I had the 722 also. I just thought I could stick it out for a bit/I didn’t know anything else existed for sensors] I could not stand having the MM pump clipped to me when one of the reasons why I switched to an oPod was to get away from waist-band annoyances.

I am on my 7th day with one of my Dexcom sensors. I can be away from my receiver for 2 hours (dance class, didn’t really want to wear the receiver), and come back, start getting accurate numbers within five minutes, and not have a ‘lost sensor’, recalibrate type-deal. I have worn my sensor for about 14 days, others get 21 days out of theirs. For the most part, the longer I have worn the sensor, the more accurate it has gotten.

I will simplify what I like about Dex and what I disliked about MM (please note this is my experience and not everyones’. I understand some people are satisfied with their MM. I was not)
Dex:
smaller needle
sits flatter to skin
more adhesive
7+ day wear time
larger transmitter-to-receiver range
more accurate

MM:
large needle
transmitter was awkward and hard to get taped down (I pulled out multiple sensors because the transmitter got caught on things)
very small adhesive pad
every 3 days, interruption period for restarting sensor
I never could get more than 6 days out of a sensor
small transmitter-to-receiver distance
quite unaccurate

I also invite you to join/take a look at the dexcom users and the CGM group. Good info there too. Best of luck!

~a.willie

Right now I am a DexCom fanboy. Standalone CGM upgrade cycles are 1 year compared to 4 years for a pump. I would not want to commit to DexCom or any other company for 4 years. CGM technology is changing very fast.

Go Dexcom and you won’t regret it. Just remember - A CGM isn’t the answer for everything. It’s just one more tool. It takes time and effort to use it well. think trends, not absolute numbers.

Animas Ping does not integrate with the Ping - and the plans to make an integrated Animas Dexcom were greatly delayed - per some sources. Pings are big and have features I found useless. I refuse to carry around ANOTHER device just to control my pump.

I’m 4 years on a Dexcom and love it.

I used the Minimed in tha past,have swithced to the Dexcom. It is MUCH more confortable (insertion, wear and only changing 4 times a month instead of ten). I have serious adhesive allerigies. With the minimed I had to IV300 under and over. With the dex I only have to put a half a piece of IV300 on about day 5 to one edge, it would probably hold till day 7…but it irritating to me so I cover it.

The Dex so far has been more acurate than the minimed ever was. I find I actually don’t mind two devices. And even when they are integrated–you hacve to choose whether to pair your meter-remote or the CGM–so either way you will have two. I love the meter-remote, so I will be keeping the CGM separate. I also find it is easier to put the CGM on the treadmill…than the pump when using the mininmed…

Just my opinion from using both…I think nI would go with the ping even f I had to change resevoirs every other day (I have to do this when sick-or overly stresses and insuling besomes more like waer to my system)

The whole calibration thing is also MKUCH easier with the dex

I use the Dexcom. From the research and reviews I read, it seemed like it was the best option. I am also using the OmniPod and that will be integrated with the Dexcom in the near future. My experience with the Dexcom has been very positive. Inserting the sensor is a piece of cake and is not very painful at all. I’ve not had any bleeding with insertion, but I have the feeling that is just the luck of placement. The alarms on the Dex help a lot. I’ve been awoken with low BG several times and have been able to keep my glucose pretty level. The accuracy of the CGM is pretty good. It asks for a calibration blood test twice a day.

Iv actually heard of people being able to trial the MM CGM…don’t know if this is avalible for you…

I didn’t get the option of trying either, plus I really could only afford the Dexcom… They will basically give you a 2-3 month finacing on the starter kit AND send it out before its paid for (once the promise note is signed)… And they discount the sensors as well…

As an aside. Tylenol DOES affect the minimed, but only slightly, meaning the numbers can still be used. but they will be off some… This is not true of the Dex. Dex will think your skyrocketed high untill the acetaminophen gets out of your system…

Ideally I would have probably gone with the Navigator but Abotts had some issues right about now and the initial cost is twice as much as the starter kit for Dexcom…

A response from Canada , where Dexcom is not available : I have been wearing a MM pump since 2001 and always updated the pump , as it became available and wear presently a 522 model . For well over 2 1/2 years I have been using the CGMS with a " shelf life" (meaning body… ) of close to 9 days : second 3 days , I tell the sensor " new sensor “, interruption period very short ;for the next 3 days I remove the IV3000 tape , place the Transmitter on the Charger till green light goes off and place back , incl . tape ; after that the numbers on the sensor and finger pokes become too different …time to replace the sensor ! The system is a tool to reveal trends ( maybe someone mentioned this already ) …still need to poke . I don’t have pain , while inserting the needle ; always pull the skin taught and remove the needle straight out; don’t wiggle ( the way it went into the bod…45 degrees with the help of the serter ) …if blood , just press with a tissue …this happens occasionally . With hot weather( as we have here right now ) refrigerate boxed sensors and leave in packaging as not to damage the sensors .
I like the CareLink ; am off to the Diabetes Center on Tuesday and reports are coming along …will e-mail them to my Team as well .
I was " real stubborn” during last night’s sleep and did not want to " wake up " , as I had alarms , knew I would not be LOW ; was HI ,when I finally tested …possibly an air bubble in my tubing ?? Not the system"s fault , but MINE completely .
My transmitter almost 2 years of age and in steady use .I have been using my legs during the past 6 months .
Good luck in making your decision !

Unfortunately, I chose the Minimed CGM. I wish I had chosen the Dexcom. The Minimed CGM was wildly inaccurate for me, very difficult to get calibrated, etc. I don’t wear it anymore, and am anxiously awaiting the Animas/Dexcom combined system.

I would like to say that i use the MM with good results. I cant really compare to the Dex7+ or anything, but its worked for its intended purposes. The needle is big (I totally agree) but it has helped me squash some big issues I wasnt even aware of. If you like the idea of total integration between pump and sensor, the MM is the way to go. The CareLink is very good software. The only thing is the needle. Did I already mention that lol?!?!

I have been using the Minimed CGMS for the last 4 years and think it’s great. I don’t loose connections because I keep my pump connected except when in the shower, and I clip the pump to a towel outside the shower door so it’s still in contact with my sensor. My current transmitter has lasted for 3 years, since they’ve been on the market. I’ve never tried any other systems, but I have looked at them, and I prefer the integrated approach. I just got my Revel pump upgrade a couple of weeks ago, it has new software for the CGMS, not used to the new “Predictive Alarms” but I guess that works. I started using the MM CGM sensor for only 3 days, but now use it for 6-7 days. Sometimes that 7th day not accurate, sometimes it’s fine. Thing to be careful about is when you calibrate. If you are in the “normal” range and holding steady when you calibrate, the GCMS will be extremely accurate in the normal range, and warn you if you start to go low. If you then go very high, it will no longer be extremely accurate, but if you see 200, you know you’re too high, does it really matter if your REAL blood sugar is 250? If you calibrate and you are not in the normal range, or you are not holding steady, you can calibrate again to get better results, or you can “pretend to start over” by entering a “New Sensor” command. I only do that after 3 days, when it’s time to recalibrate. Most days I only do 2-3 blood tests/day (minimum required to keep it calibrated), some days I do lots of blood tests. But even when I do lots of blood tests the CGMS tells me if I am going up/down/or holding steady.

Dexcom. I use a MM 522 as well, and I chose accuracy, ease of use, and less pain over integration. I actually like having it as a separate device more than integrated. (I used MM CGMS for almost a year)

Wow, I love all this feedback! All of you have been so helpful! I should be getting my Revel this week but will need to create a 30 log of blood sugars for the CGM. I will be going with the Dexcom, after reading all of your stories. I know Minimed will improve their system, so hopefully after my year with the Dexcom I can switch to one unit.

Thanks!

I use the Dexcom. I don’t know if the MM has a standalone version, but one big issue for me would be the little tiny screen on the MM pump.

I like the Dexcom for all the reasons already mentioned, but there is one issue that I would love not to have to deal with. Dexcom says the range of the receiver is 5’. I kind of doubt that for my receiver anyway. If I want nightly readings, I literally have to sleep with it laying next to me in bed. It’s not even 5’ from my nightstand to any part of my bed except the opposite foot of the bed, which I doubt the transmitter ever sees. Still, if I leave the receiver on the nightstand, I’ll get huge gaps in my nightime readings while I sleep.

Interesting. I have read that it should be kept within 5 feet. Have any other users experienced this same thing? Has anyone had trouble staying within range of the Dexcom receiver? Thanks!

I am very happy this exercise was helpful roxylove …you are the final decision maker in attending to your health as I am in mine …congrats !! maybe the odd up date , please ??

I’m a MM user. If you switch pump companies, then I’d go with Dexcom, it’s a lot more user-friendly. But if you do stick with MM, then you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons. The MM has a learning curve, but I’ll say that since the first two months I have had very few issues. I’m extremely happy with its accuracy and enjoy having it integrated into the pump.

The MM sensor could have been designed A LOT better. If you can find a way to get a trial then you should be able to figure out pretty quickly whether its something you can work with. I prefer to use my thighs for sensors and pump, I just find that they stick better there…

There are times when it seems to loose signal for no reason, but there are also times when I leave the receiver way across the room, further than 5 feet and it doesn’t lose signal. I think it may have something to do with other things in the way, possibly cell phones or other things like that? Who knows. But overall, no problems with being out of range for any period of time and not being able to get the signal back.

This is an old article but explains a bit about how Dexcom and MM are playing semantics.

http://medicalconnectivity.com/2006/03/03/fcc-deals-with-mics-vendors-help-and-hinder/

(Dexcom, Medtronics, others use the MICS band)