Misconceptions with teachers!

Hi everyone!

I wanted to post this because I really need advice on how to del with a little something that goes like this

“Gabriella you miss so much of my class because your blood sugars are out of range. Why are you not mangaing your Diabetes?”

Gabriella “I heard you were low again 2nd period what are you doing wrong?”

“Gabriella you need a pass to go to the nurse” (BG 50 at the time of this statement"

Gabriella “You have the most severe Diabetes I have ever seen!”

I can’t take it anymore I need it to stop! My A1C is 6.5 I am taking amazing care of myself the best that I possibly can! I have the best pump on the market and an amazing CGM. I try so hard day in day out. I want the teachers to stop it! They say to me all the time “Oh I have so many students with diabetes none are like you”

Well might I mention I am testing at least 10 times a day Wearing 2 needles 24 hours a day 7 days a week. My A1C is 6.5! Unlike the other students I refuse to walk around school with a BG above 2-300 all day! I like to see the beautiful earth I live on I like to listen to christian music I don’t have time for dialysis I don’t feel like loosing my fingers and toes! THAT"S WHY I TEST IN CLASS THAT"S WHY I TAKE CARE OF MYSELF!!! Teacher’s at my school think they know everything I want them to stop thinking they know everything and get some real education! I would like to see them handle TYPE ONE DIABETES for a single class period them self let alone all their life!

HELP I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

Good for you for taking control of you D. Unfortunately lack of understanding from others is a lifelong problem for PWD. I think you said it so well why you are trying so hard. You might want to write your reasons down and give them to your teachers.

I am a little concerned that you are going low so often. Good control is a happy medium, not too high and not too low. Lows are just as much a problem as highs and they have such immediate consequences.

This sounds tough, but I doubt your instructors are aware that thier comments are embarising or signaling you out. I would bet that education of T1D is a big problem here.

At first I would not even meet with your teachers, instead meet with your principal or other senior administrator and possibly have a parent with you. Be polite, but let them know that this is difficult for you. Explain some of the comments to them, how you feel about them, how hard you work to control your T1. Say something like I work hard to stay healthy and am doing a great job of it, comments that I have the "most severe" diabetes are innaccurate and very hurtful.

I would also print out a few copies of T1 brochures to provide to your principal. Something like this: http://web.diabetes.org/wizdom/download/DiabetesSchoolLaw.PDF. Hopefully when your principal discusses this with your teachers he can provide this to them and educate them a little bit.

I would also consider briefly mentioning the American with Disabilities Act. Possibly saying that the ADA allows me to take care of my health at school and I hope we can reach a reasonable agreement.

Another idea is to amend or create a 504 plan that might meet your needs a little better. For example, I think it is in your best interest to have hypo treatment in your possession at all times. A 50 mg/dl needs urgent treatment, not a discussion and then a trip to the nurses office.

I would also let your teachers know (if you can) after they make a hurtful comment. A quick "that hurts my feelings" and then leave it alone after they say something can let them know imediatley what is too much and will likely change behaviors.

Gabby, the teachers are only voicing their own feelings of insecurity about diabetes and those with diabetes. It has nothing to do with you. They want to sound in control like they usually are in front of students. But they don't know how.
When I have pulled out a chart showing how many grams of carbohydrate move the blood sugar up how far by body weight, and suggested that they make a chart of their own carb intake for a day and what their own blood glucose would be doing if they didn't have working beta cells, they have become awe-struck. They change totally to another way of thinking. I have had to give them a sheet of usual foods and their carb content in order to help them do it.
Try for a scientific approach to them. They need knowledge. It may change their viewpoint.

When I was in school, I just carried a purse and treated as needed during class. I carried glucose tabs and snacks with my meter and insulin and never left class to do anything. Is this something you do? Its part of my life, so I'm not going to go in another room to test or to eat something.. everyone just got used to it and that was it.

Do you have a 504 plan? A 504 plan is a plan you work out with the school and your parents. It basically says how you are going to deal with diabetes throughout your school day. Maybe worth a look?

Gabby test away and keep taking care of yourself! They won't stop, there will always be people who think they know more. Are you still in high school? Just keep on doing what you are doing and survive, and try try try to ignore their ignorant comments because they do not know as much about the condition as you do. I too wish for once these teachers could have to go through what you are going through and see how its really like!

Sharon (just the wife of a diabetic for yrs)

Taking bull by the horns is hard enough for adults, but those of us diagnosed at a younger age know that you are working very hard to take control of your Type 1 and you are amazing. Keep up the good work on that front.

All of the suggestions above are good. Would a guidance counslor help you? Also, if possible, involving your parents could be the most helpful. If they could just get across to the principal how hard you work to be where you are, what it means to the rest of your life to have good control, maybe he could then have discussions with your teachers.

I, too, am concerned about the number of lows you are having. Especially with a 6.5 A1C. It is a very good result, but diabetics with a lot of lows like you described above usually have A1Cs in the 5-6 range. Are you able to flat line on your CGM or are you experiencing hills and valleys? I would put effort in working towards flatlining with basal adjustments, etc. That would remove the need to leave class frequently.