Mission Trips and Insulin Pumps - what are your thoughts/experiences?

I am interested in going on missions trip in the future. I am a type 1 pump user.

I was wondering if anyone in this group has done overseas missions trips. I have not done any, mainly because I worry about pumping and pump supplies in remote areas with limited medical resources. I realize there are plenty of mission trip opportunities in the US and other developed countries (which I will probably start with), but I was curious to know if you or someone you know has done mission work as a diabetic in 3rd world countries/remote areas. How did they handle the situation?

Thanks for any and all input.

1 Like

I have been on a few trips to third world country’s. One to Nicaragua for a month. I will say, keep all your supplies in your carry on bag and with you until you get to your destination. Have the original stickers on all supplies. Get a doctors note saying what you take and why you take them. Take anti-malarial pills before you leave and while your there. You want to avoid illness while your there. Find someone who knows someone who lives in the country and have that person find you a doctor that specializes in diabetes. Or go on line your self and contact a doctor that may be able to see you in an emergency. If you can keep the last 3 month’s medical files, or them on a jump drive. In an emergency this information will be needed. Appoint someone that will be there and around you 80% of the time, give them a chart that says what the symptoms of high BS and low BS looks like, and teach that person to help you get either sugar or a glucagon shot if needed.

Since I have been on the pump, I spent a year of mission service in Ukraine. The children that I worked with were very curious about my pump, but I just explained to them that it gave me medicine that I need and then they just got used to it and even explained to others in the community that it is not a cell phone. I brought all my supplies with me (about twice as much as I thought I would need). My only concern was if my pump failed. I would have needed to switch back to injections until I could get it replaced.

I brought all my insulin, test strips, … everything. If I had an emergency, I could have gotten insulin and test strips from near by, but my supplies were enough and I had no pump failure that year.

If you are going on short term mission trips, then you can either request a loaner pump from your pump company to take with you in the case of pump failure OR just be sure to bring some long acting (basal) insulin with you so that you can easily switch to injections if you need to.

Hope that you will have great experiences of service!

I haven’t been on an extended mission but I do know that my denomination does not hire full time missionaries who have chronic health conditions such as insulin dependent diabetes, advanced cancer, etc. The reasoning given is that overseas areas that need to be filled usually do not have access to full range of medical care, and even refrigeration is a problem. However, once hired, if a missionary develops a chronic health condition, he/she may be called in stateside only if the country that the missionary is in cannot meet the particular health need. He/she may be reassigned to a different country if possible.

Times have changed. Temporary mission stints of two week to a month will take just about anyone, including 95 years old.

Hello:)

I also have the same concerns as you. I would love to do missions trips...but I'm afraid that I'll struggle to have the supplies I need to take care of my diabetes.

Recently I've come to the conclusion that mission trips are totally possible for type 1 pump users! We can do anything! It may be harder. We have to be prepared BUT diabetes can't stop us from joining a mission trip.

Two years ago I moved to a third world country from the USA. I now live and work in the Philippines. Before moving here I made absolutely certain that I could go to the pharmacy in my city and get whatever supplies I needed. I can. I can't get pump supplies, but I just order a ton of supplies in advance (something you have to work out with insurance, which can be a hassle...but is doable) and bring them over in my suitcase. It's not always possible to know someone in a country before you move there, but if you do they can go to the pharmacy and ask for whatever supplies you think you'll need.

I don't want to repeat what the first person wrote...but I'll add a couple things to it. First, get a Frio. They are amazing. If you're traveling somewhere without a fridge (or you're not 100% positive they have a fridge...really, you never know in another country). All you have to do is run them under cold water and these little beads swell. You can keep your insulin inside for days and just add more cold water when the beads start to shrink. You could keep insulin in there for months or more as long as you keep adding cold water. Second, if you're creative...a lot can be figured out. For example, I traveled from the Philippines to Bali for a one week vacation. I really wanted to go white water river rafting...but the experience lasted over 2 hours. I didn't want to leave my pump behind and risk it being stolen AND didn't want to get sick from such a high BG. I wrapped it up in multiple mostly sealed (except for where the cord had to go through) plastic bags. Put it in a sock and put it in my bra. Not the most beautiful creation, but it worked. I didn't jump into the water and I tried really hard not to fall out. Another example is when I went on a day trip. I'd left my insulin at the hostel (in my Frio) and brought only my meter, pump, and extra carbs. I also brought a one syringe. That way if my pump failed or more likely, my site fell out due to excessive sweating in the hot humid Philippines, I could use that needle to extract insulin from the tube in my pump and take injections until I returned to the hostel that night. Also, I'm sure you know, but there is special tape you can buy to help your site stay on in hotter, wetter climates (or if you're really athletic).

I've gained a lot of confidence in my diabetic traveling skills. Sometimes it takes baby steps. You learn a little more on each trip. Someday I'd like to try a mission trip. I think I could pack all my diabetes supplies in carry-ons (and extra in checked luggage) and would be fine. Just always make sure you have back up plans for back up plans. Having one contact who can help you in your new country or figuring out a way that a spare pump could be shipped to you before you leave always is nice. That way, if something happens, you have plans.

It's harder but it's possible. Diabetics are tough. We can do it!

PS- Feel free to ask further questions! :) Great topic!

1 Like