Mistakes at work from lows

If you are low at work, and make a mistake because of it, do you tell your boss it was because you were low? or do you just act as if it were a ‘normal’ mistake?

As a result of my being low, I made a number of miscalculations that amount to several hundred dollars in wasted materials/labour.

I decided not to tell my boss that the mistakes were rooted in hypoglycemia, because;
a) I'd never hear the end of it from the rest of the boys,
b) I don't want my boss thinking that my having D makes me any less of a competent worker, and
c) blaming D would sound like i'm trying to shirk responsibility.

I have to admit though, I feel kinda guilty about it, I feel like a bad diabetic for not being open and honest about it, and I guess it just sucks to know that I was responsible for the waste of time and money. I should probably mention that I've made more expensive mistakes before that were completely non D related, as have every one of my colleagues, bespoke cabinetry, time constraints and screw ups go hand in hand, but all the same...

so what would you have done? what do you do when you make a mistake at work because you were high or low?

I say I made a mistake without details. My reasons are that I don’t want to be treated differently than other employee who screws up & I don’t want to appear that I’m using anything as an excuse. Own up to an error & move on, is how I feel. Everyone makes mistakes.

Never thought this is dishonest since I assume responsibility for what happened. Does a supervisor really want to hear a reason or excuse anyway?

This is a difficult topic, but I think that if you don’t want to tell your boss the reasons for you mistake, then don’t. (I can think of a lot of other personal reasons to make a mistake, none of which I would tell my boss about. A bad breakup for example.) It doesn’t sound like it would accomplish anything. And there is no reason to feel like a bad diabetic. You don’t owe it to other diabetics to share every little thing and educate everybody. It’s up to you to decide how open you want to be about your D, because it’s your life and you will have to live with the repercussions, should your boss really think less of you, because of it.

Anyway, that’s just my 2 cent.

Personally I would admit to the mistake. However, I will not disclose the reason why. An unintentional miscalculation happens to anybody (diabetic or not). It will be more detrimental if they trace it back to me anyway. So the fact that I admit it will at least give them the impression that Im doing it in good faith. But I will try my hardest to try to prevent it from happenening again.
My family runs a restaurant and employed 2 cashiers with diabetes. Since I know what they go through… I have already talked with them that mistakes are inevitable (diabetes related or not)…that they just inform me so I can make the necessary adjustments…and they also agree that they will try their best to be more careful next time (in fact…they have been)…A win win situation.

I’m never expected to give a reason for a mistake, whatever the situation, but I do think it is a bit of a messy topic. On the one hand, in a theoretical debate i’m 100% for diabetics being given special concession when it comes to dealing with lows and highs and their impact on work. Diabetes is a disease, and one we can’t get rid of, one not of our choosing, and one we can never manage perfectly 100% of the time (or more like any of the time). In practice however, i despise the idea that we should be treated differently than anyone else, i don’t want to be treated like I’m somehow weaker, or less capable.

It’s a bit of a catch 22 situation really, normally I would have gone back and checked over my work once I had realised that I had been low, but I’m already about 2 weeks behind schedule, and the boss is pressuring me to get it done, but by not checking I wasted time anyway…

I guess I feel a bit like a bad diabetic by my own standards. Ask me and i’ll tell you that I’ll never hide my diabetes, that I am who I am, and if someone has a problem with it it’s not my worry, it’s theirs. But at the same time I know that within the next 6 months or so, due to technological advancements in our workshop there is likely to be at least one or two employees made redundant. So i really don’t want to make myself seem somehow second rate.

does that make me realistic about my disease, or a coward?(rhetoric, i know i have to answer that myself)