MM CGM coming soon. Need advice

I am hypoglycemic unaware. My last bad daytime incident convinced me to try a GCM. In the car (not driving) after walking around shopping. In the middle of the day. Had no idea I was going low. Checked blood sugar. It was 25. Started having hallucinations and paranoia. Never had that happen before. I'm giving the MiniMed CGM a try since I wear a MM Paradigm 722.

I have been reading the threads and I'm worried. Why do you need numbing cream? I thought it would be as easy as inserting my infusion set. What all is involved?

I've been reading about the MM GCM not correctly reading your sugars. I really need it to read mine correctly. What is calibration? What is "wet"?

I know I'm full of questions, but I really want to have a successful experience.

I have never used numbing cream but I admit it took me some time before I could insert the sensor in a reasonably quick manner. I found out it is best to be standing up when inserting the sensor into the stomach which has helped. I use the Sen-Serter.

When you get the sensor, somebody will train you which will help so don't get overwhelmed all at once. It just takes time to figure everything out.

I have an acquaintance who had the same problem you did and the sensor has saved him! He wears his faithfully ever since going into a coma from low blood sugar and suffering side effects afterward. I am trying to wear the sensor consistently and notice a big improvement in my blood sugars.

The MM sensor needs to be calibrated six hours after it first starts "reading" your blood sugar. After that, it needs to be calibrated every twelve hours. Starting it out is the trickiest part. One thing that works really well is to insert the needle sensor before bed, put a piece of soft tape over it so it doesn't come out and connect the plastic paddle sensor in the morning. Don't even tell the pump you're starting a sensor until the morning when it has been in your body overnight. In the morning, you can cover the entire thing with a big Tegaderm so it's all enclosed. (The term "wet" means the sensor has been in your body long enough to give the green light on the plastic paddle and to start reading your blood sugars and sending them to your pump.)

The *most* important--and sometimes hardest--thing to do is to *only* calibrate when your blood sugar is stable! This means it is not going up or going down! That's why if you calibrate in the morning after waking up, it's usually a good time and before bed is good most of the time too. Otherwise, the readings are not very close to what your actual blood glucose is. If my blood sugar is going up or down I do not calibrate--I just wait 2-4 hours until my blood sugar is stable--even though the sensor alarms are a bother. That way I know there is accuracy!

You will understand more of this as you start wearing it and you can ask us later.

I have learned--over time--to appreciate what the sensor has done for me in showing when I'm dropping or going high.

Andrea

Could not have said it better.

I was in the same boat as Sadaka 4 months ago.

Gary

I found the biggest thing is just inserting the sensor. The needle is a little intimidating at first but i have found that if I watch real close where i put it into the side of my abdomen, I can limit the amount of blood that comes out under the sensor by avoiding any veins . I use ice to numb the area i am going to insert it before hand that helps too.

One thing i would say would be to watch the angle you insert it so you know the angle you pull out the needle. it will be less painful and not as much blood. After a short time you will become a pro and think what did you do without it.. if you are hypo-unaware this will help..

BTW, my pump just went off its time to go refill!!

Take care

speaking of the angle of insertion, I was told--contrary to the printed instructions--to insert it between a 60-90 degree angle and this seems to be working.