Moderate carb eating

I eat moderate carb ,below 150. I measure food and test bs. I eat salads,nuts,seeds,vegetables. I love oatmeal and have told everyone I won’t give it up. I eat pasta, once a month. I avoid pizza,etc. I have a garden and am looking forward to fresh produce. This is the balance I need. Thanks,Nancy

1 Like

Glad it works for you :slight_smile:
I wish I could eat 150 carbs a day but I couldnt afford the insulin I would need to or the weight gain. I have a 1 day a month going out to eat I may come close to it so its more of a treat. I would love to have a bowl of steel cut oats but it sends me to straight to 300 and takes forever to get it back down.

2 Likes

After I eat I swim ,so it is successful. 200 down to 70. Exercise works well for me.

Nancy Matulis
ACB Maine member
ACBDA member,Membership Awareness Committee

I, too, follow a moderate carb diet, consuming between 120 and 150 grams carbohydrate most days. One of the reasons I feel that I can get away with it is because I was age 70 before I became diabetic. While I suppose it is possible that I might live to be 97 like my great-grandmother, in all probability I don’t have the same level of concern about complications likely to occur in the long term as those of you who have a life expectancy of decades ahead of you.

In spite of my carb allowance I’ve been able to keep my A1c between 5.5 and 6.1 on MDI ever since I started insulin four years ago. I don’t have a CGM but test enough to know that my BG variability is greater than I’d prefer, but I have developed a few tricks to temper it somewhat. One is to split the carbs in my “meals” into a main meal and a snack about two hours later, but bolus for the full amount previous to the meal. That allows time for my BG to drop after the main meal before I consume the rest of the carbs. If I didn’t do that and consumed the full amount at once, I’d likely be hitting a BG of 180 or more after almost every meal.

One thing I don’t eat is oatmeal. The first several years I continued to make my own homemade rye bread, but could only have half a slice at breakfast since I’m twice as insulin resistant in the morning as later in the day. After I was diagnosed with osteoporosis a couple of years ago, though, I decided that I needed to add more dairy in my diet. So I had to give up my beloved homemade bread to allow for the carbs in milk. I do still eat pasta in limited serving sizes, though. It is so slow digesting that I can much more easily get away with pasta than with bread or potatoes.

3 Likes

I was diagnosed at 70 too, Uff_Da, and I too am less strict with carb counting than I should be. Like you I feel complications will not have time to catch up with me, although my A1C is in the 6s, I don’t go mad.
I find a walk after a high carb meal helps, or maybe some gardening. This way I can still have muesli for breakfast and then take the dog for a walk and all is ok again.

I’m liking your way of dosing for a post-meal snack along with the meal. I too stick to between 100 & 150g of carbs a day. Most evenings I’ll have a 15g portion of fruit about 2 hours after dinner. Think I’ll try your technique and see how it goes. I’m on CGM and MDI and skipping another injection would be brilliant.