Anyone eat Oatmeal?

Does anyone do ok with oatmeal? I read that it was a good food item for diabetics. I’ve been eating a 1/2 cup (28 carbs) each morning (not the instant kind (yuck)) and it sends my bs up near 300. Although, most things do these days (the honeymoon may be over).

As with most things, it varies tremendously from one individual to the next. Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods but I almost never eat it nowadays. According to my meter, I might just as well sit down and eat a bowl of sugar. For you, it may be the same or quite different.

Not much help, I know. Diabetes is like that . . . . :sunglasses:

1 Like

What about steel cuts?

1 Like

Those are actually the ones I’m referring to.

1 Like

A friend of mine mentioned steel cut oats to me also. I’ve never tried them but I think I will.

As I stated on another topic, breakfast is a real MF for which to dose without (inevitably many would say) experiencing a post-prandial spike. Oatmeal is, in and of itself, a real MF for which to dose. Period. You are not doing anything wrong, Becca, and I am doubting whether you could be doing something differently in order to avoid a post-oatmeal spike. I used to love oatmeal (the more instant, the better!) Now I hate it for the MF that it truly is…

1 Like

No doubt oatmeal is relatively healthy stuff but the nature of the carbs makes it impossible for me for breakfast. Unfortunately I never warmed up to the idea (or taste) of having it for lunch or later.

2 Likes

If you walk for 20-30 minutes after having your oatmeal you will reduce your bgs.

1 Like

This is likely a YDMV thing. My daughter could pre-bolus a century in advance and run a marathon after eating a small bowl of oatmeal, but a brisk 20- to 30-minute walk ain’t gonna touch her 300+ MF’ing oatmeal spike… :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

It is absolutely a YDMV thing. As I mentioned, steel cut oats—which I absolutely love—will send me through the ceiling just as though I had drunk a half gallon of regular Coke. And yes, I can do things to counter it, but I could do those same things to counter the Coke. Generally my best course is just not to go there.

What does “YDMV” mean? :blush:

LOL, sorry. “Your Diabetes May Vary”. Based on the old advertising tag line, “your mileage may vary”. Just a shorthand way of saying that each case of diabetes is individual; what works perfectly for me may not work for you, and vice versa, because each of our physiologies is distinct. Effective management of your diabetes has to be based on your own empirical experience, i.e., what works for you.

1 Like

Your Diabetes May Vary.

And I am sorry, I should have said walking may lower your bgs.

1 Like

Speaking for myself, no apology necessary, Pastelpainter! :relaxed:

2 Likes

I actually have discovered that I can eat oatmeal just fine - I do add protein and fat to it. It’s not a problem for me.

If you are craving oatmeal but it doesn’t work for you, you could try a similar preparation with quinoa. For some reason, I hardly react to quinoa at all - but as everybody has said YDMV! In fact, if I dose for quinoa the way I do with oatmeal (same number of carbs, mind you!) I end up way low.

Maybe worth a shot. It’s quite yummy as a breakfast cereal!

1 Like

It really depends on the brand for me. There was one I used to eat that I found at target that had flax seeds in it that I was able to eat ok with minimal problems. Quaker I tend to run a little higher after eating.

1 Like

There’s a mix from Trader Joe’s that’s the only one that works for me - I guess it’s not plain oatmeal, now that I look at it! It’s oats, rye, and barley.

1 Like

I’d be willing to bet it was touted as “good for diabetics” simply because of the fact that it’s advertised to reduce cholesterol (just because it has fiber, I believe) and high cholesterol is commonly associated with diabetes.

Personally, I’m in the no-carbs-for-breakfast club, also. I used to have a 1/4 cup of sweet potato with my scrambled eggs, but I do much better without even that. But I doubt my blood sugar could tolerate oatmeal at dinner, when I’m more carb tolerant, anyway.

1 Like

it works out fine for me. I just bolus for it like everything else

1 Like

Pancakes (especially the very low-carb cream cheese + eggs pancake recipe that was posted on this Forum) for dinner are a yummy and let’s-mix-it-up-for-the-sheer-hell-of-it treat. But oatmeal for dinner??? There should be a law against it… :wink:

1 Like