Monday, Nov 30 - My Participation In The Joslin Medalist Study

Anita and I will drive to Boston on Sunday, Nov 29, weather permitting. It is only a four hour trip for us. We hope to meet-up with some diabetics who live in the Boston area that evening and again Monday afternoon or evening. Four members have been in touch with me. It will be nice to meet them.

I am supposed to double my carb intake on Sat and Sun, but only for supper. Then we will be at Joslin at 7:15 AM Mon morning, after fasting over night. I will be given the glass of glucose drink at that point. This is called a “Mixed Meal Tolerance Test”, somewhat different from the standard glucose tolerance test. There will be a thorough exam of my eyes, kidneys, heart and nervous system. My C-peptide will be part of the blood testing that will be done that day. I have filled out about 20 pages of forms and my doctor has prepared a list of my A1c’s 1980-2009. You may have seen my recent thread showing that list.

All of this is being done at one of the premier diabetes centers in the world and it is all free. The JDRF is funding the study and all my testing, and the Lily company that makes so much of our insulin is paying my travel and lodging expenses.

The ultimate goal of this study is to try and determine why some Type 1 diabetics have lived so long and have no serious complications. All the participants have had Type 1 for 50 years or more. There have been almost 500 participants so far. The study will conclude in 2011 after 750 participants have been examined. Dr King, the head of the project, is hoping to find the cause of our doing so well for so long. If the cause can be found then a treatment may be developed that will enable younger Type 1’s to follow the right path and avoid serious complications.

The results of my testing will be mailed to me about a week after we return home.