My Diabetes Art Day Sculpture

for more pics and the movie, please visit my blog Don’t Fear Diabetes

Diabetes Art Day 2010

2010 September 1
by sisiay

As you can see from this photograph, I chose to do a sculpture for Diabetes Art Day 2010. I did this for a few different reasons:

1. I wanted my piece to be 3 dimensional, since there are so many different sides to diabetes.

2. I wanted it to be complex.

3. I wanted it to be dynamic- since diabetes (even for each of us individually) is always changing, I wanted to make something whose form was not completely fixed but could change over time and in relation to various actions.

4. I wanted it to be something you could interact with.

5. [Most importantly] I have been saving all of my used diabetes supplies for a several months and needed to SOMETHING with them.

I am going to post some detailed shots of the sculpture below so you can see how it was made, as well as a video at the end so you can see it in motion. Most of it is made of test strips…a few hundred or so that I punched holes in, and then put in either wire or jewelry findings. There are also some pen needle caps, syringe plunger covers, pens needle foil tabs, a test strip jar, and some Dexcom insertion devices and plastic parts. You can click on any picture to see it larger. I hope you like it, I had a great time making it. Big thanks again to Lee Ann Thill for coming up with a Diabetes Art Day. Make sure to check out some of the other works around the web.

see more pictures

This is pretty awesome! Might be the first and only I’ve seen so far that’s three dimensional like that! Love the reasons you outlined, and couldn’t agree more. Can’t wait to see the more detailed shots and the video of it in action! Thank you so much for sharing your art work!

WOW! It’s fantastic! I love your piece & the philosophy behind it. Diabetes sure isn’t a static diease. Great music with your video. Looking forward to more of your sculptures.

LOVE it! That would be a great art show… recycled, awareness, and a message.

Outstanding, I love it…

Thanks all for the comments. It’s nice to know someone besides me looked at it. The saying goes one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, but why not let that man’s rah be his own treasure once in a while??? (and I mean diabetes and the supplies)

I just love this sculpture! Very nicely constructed, and inspiring for anyone who wants to try their hand at recycling their diabetes trash into something fabulous :slight_smile: