My friend

A local T1 Looper friend of mine just texted me and said that she registered for covid vacc, but that the only high risk medical condition listed was T2. I thought this changed a month ago, but CDC still lists T1 as “possible high risk.”

Anybody have any info on this? She’s gonna ask her Doc tomorrow.

Here is CDC list (yet unchanged from months ago): People with Certain Medical Conditions | CDC

These guys say T1 got classified as high risk: Diabetes & the COVID-19 Vaccine - YouTube

1 Like

I called ADA. They say its a bit of a mess. They are working with a bunch of other orgs to have this officially changed at the Federal level and they have submitted data to support their position, but until the Feds update the website (which they hope will be soon), T2 are the only ones classified as ‘high risk.’

Some states have chose to vacc T1s and some have not. So, its confusing.

3 Likes

Massachusetts, only T2 is considered as a co-morbidity. Not that it really matters as I have all the requirements which are now over age 65 with 2 comorbidities but they don’t have enough vaccine for the next several weeks for our entire group so near impossible to get an appointment until sometime in March.

I had heard they took T1’s off the list. But they are fighting to get us put back on. I guess we are not back on yet. If it takes long enough, it won’t matter.

1 Like

Oh, lol. Is that what happened? We were put on and then taken off?
See, I was confused because I thought that we were on there for a bit.

I see. We are listed under 'Limited evidence," with HIV.
Its confusing because me and my buddy with HIV keep thinking we are in the same vacc group, trying to figure out scheduling. He just got an email saying he should be prepared to get an email to schedule vacc. So, he told me to check and I didn’t see anything, so I was just checking. This is very confusing.

I am guessing that ‘limited evidence’ means small data sets - smaller patient population. I don’t think of us as small patient populations, but we are, apparently.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/evidence-table.html

1 Like

So I get from this, if you smoke, you are moved into the top group of strongest evidence that needs one.
Sorry guys that smoke, but…
That sure feels like a reward for smoking…

Illinois current vaccine phase just says diabetes and doesn’t specify type.

1 Like

In New Mexico, they have check boxes for the “primary risks”, including T2 and then a second set for the “secondary risks”, including T1. However, it is unclear what, if anything, is being done with that information. It appears as if age, congregate living, and front line workers are the criteria that are being used thus far … and age-wise they are one of the few 75+ states.

In California, age and high risk occupations are virtually the only considerations. Health risk, however they decide on that doesn’t start until 3/15.

Of course, in CA, there is the “loophole du jour”. Yesterday we learned that many folks who dispense medical marijuana self-defined as front-line medical workers. Today, we learned the employees in gyms and fitness centers have jumped the line as “health workers” …

However, I am lucky to be old (71) in a 65+ state: I got Moderna first dose at CVS (the federally-sponsored pharmacy partner in CA) … and medical conditions weren’t even considered.

Stay safe! And good luck getting vaccinated soon. If the supply line goes up by 2X, 3X, 5X or more, prioritization becomes less of an issue.

John

3 Likes

DC is doing bartenders as frontline workers. @Marie20, I’ve been telling all T1’s that they now smoke cigarettes. But, that doesn’t actually appear on the checkbox list that I have seen. In MN, we have a T2 diabetic checkbox. @John_S2 , Yeah, I think there is still time to sort out who is in ‘high risk’ group before phase 1c starts.

I dunno what to tell employers. They all want me to come in and work onsite. Perhaps I can make that commitment if vaccination is coming in the next 6 weeks (because perhaps I can squeak by), but I’ve been in hiding so long. I hate to throw everything away (and perhaps my entire future) for a few weeks of work. On the other hand, If I need to hold out until July, I need to change strategies dramatically in order to keep paying health insurance premiums. I’m not sure what I can do to accommodate that. I could go off pump to save $. Maybe I need to do that.

1 Like

This is inaccurate. Here is a link to DC’s situational report. Vaccinations open to people with diabetes (type 1 or 2) on March 1st. Smokers are excluded from the list of those eligible on March 1st- unless they qualify through a medical condition of course.

I took a screenshot of the populations currebtly being vaccinated- see below.

2 Likes

Not trying to pass judgment on who gets vacc-ed, just trying to calculate when we are up and see what other states are doing. Some of those occupational groups are easy numbers to come by. (I was going off these reports from early in the year: Washington, D.C., Sets Date to Vaccinate Restaurant Workers)

I think we have a fight going on about the Teachers getting vacc-ed. I know that schools here have been shipped some limited vaccine. But, they ran out. Teachers are one of the largest professional groups and they have very powerful unions. So, I think what is happening is the gov is saying, “we don’t have enough vacine to do you all,” and they are saying, “we wont go back to work until we are vacc-ed.” And, that’s that’s the big road block now.

Maybe there is no means of scheduling estimates moving forward until teachers are vacc-ed.

We’ve been talking about this a lot lately because my buddy with HIV works tech at a college across the country. We kinda think he will get vacced as an essential worker, working for the college there before he gets vacced as a high priority medical condition here. So, should he move out there? We don’t know.

It’s an ever evolving situation. I wouldn’t make moving decisions based off of potential vaccination priority orders in a different state.

In January, states expected to receive many more vaccines than was possible. Articles from that time are likely to be wrong.

All teachers (kindergarten -12) that are residents of DC have been offered the vaccine. I don’t know about other states. I think it is appropriate to prioritize teachers.

2 Likes

It might be helpful to ask about their strategies for reducing risk of exposure to the virus.

My husband has been going into work 2 days a week since the fall. His employer has spaced out employees Monday-Saturday, so that only 25% or less of the workforce is in the building on a given day. The building has a top notch ventilation system and masks are required unless you’re in a personal office.

He has not been infected yet. He has upgraded to a n95 when walking through the lobby because there is more traffic there, and then he switches to a surgical mask in an office so he can work more comfortably during the day. He upgraded to the n95 because of the higher transmissible variants.

It’s a difficult decision. I wish you the best!

2 Likes

@mohe0001 I would not move based on the order you are supposed to get vaccinations. The states change what they actually do constantly. Our state is being weird. They still haven’t finished the over 75, but the 25 year old teacher that isn’t even going into a classroom got one because the teachers union pushed for all teachers to get one. All childcare personnel were able to get one but they stopped doing caregivers to the elderly, because they ran shorter than they expected of supply. All care homes and personnel did get one first at least. Now they have announced they are going to give college students shots and legislative/lawmakers people and staff and they still haven’t finished all the over 75 year olds…

Our list, doesn’t really seem to be a list lol…the states, the vaccination places, all change constantly. Whoever screeches (teachers union), self interest (lawmakers) make for a changing list.

1 Like

@mohe0001:

I agree with @katers87 … I don’t think that I’d move across country based on the prospect of getting the vaccine sooner. It seems as if things are different each day. That would be particularly true if that cross-country destination was California. While I am retired now, I spent my career working for a university in California and, as a result, still get some of their email messages. Literally yesterday they sent out a message indicating that “essential” educational workers were likely to get vaccinated at a higher priority. However, before that happens, they need to try to figure out who in a large, multi-faceted academic institution is actually essential. Making decisions like that will not happen quickly in the institution with which I was affiliated. Plus, if your friend has successfully worked remotely for an institution for months or years, that would seem to be an indication that that job function is not “essential” in the close-contact, face-to-face sense. It would be a shame, I think, to move cross-country only to learn that your vaccine priority was not higher because your institution determined that a particular job function could continue to be done effectively on a remote basis.

I certainly think that a number of medical conditions should be given a higher priority than they currently have … but nobody is likely to ask me.

Stay safe!

John

1 Like

They vacc-ed all the remote tech workers in our hospitals.

I’m encouraging him to stay put until he’s vacc’ed locally, but he’s jumpy because this job is important to him. If they put the slightest pressure on him, he’ll jump. I find that there are a surprising number of people who will totally risk death to keep a job. I’m trying to be sensitive to those concerns. But, it’s a tough line to walk for our medically sensitive populations. I just keep reminding them that if they get covid and have a stroke, they may never work again.

I just hate sounding like the reaper all the time to everyone.
This is mohe all day, everyday:

Missouri is now vaccinating those over age 65 and also those under 65 with a qualifying medical condition. Type II is listed as a medical condition and I was thankfully able to get vaccinated today. Type I is not officially listed, but I think others are contesting this. With that said, no one actually asks to see any documentation of health conditions whatsoever, you just have to check off a box asserting that you fit the medical criteria, some of which are open to judgment, so it’s not very tightly controlled.

2 Likes

In Colorado they placed food workers as essential, meaning the 20 year old pizza guy is ahead of diabetics, cancer sufferers, etc.