Natural Sweetener Any one here try this. What you think

Natural Sweetener

Instead of Chemical Sweeteners available in the market, a Natural Sweetener derived from natural sources is good for diabetics.

Stevia is believed to be by far the best sweetener for diabetics. It is derieved from a herb Stevia rebaudiana native to subtropical and tropical South America and Central America. It is commonly known as sweetleaf, sweet leaf or sugarleaf. Its extracts are 300 times sweeter than sugar. It is 100% natural and perfectly safe for diabetics. It is as low on calories as all the artificial sweeteners. It is also stable for cooking and baking. It is consumed as natural sweetener by diabetics in Japan, France and different Asian and European countries.

However the FDA has not yet approved Stevia as a Sweetener and Food Additive due to political controversies. It is said that if Stevia is approved by the FDA as a Sweetener, it will not only put a full stop on all the chemical sweeteners but also adversely affect the refined sugar industry. This why it is approved only as a Dietary Supplement.

Ads by Google

Free Diabetes

Yes, I use it and it has zero carbs. It is natural and good stuff.

Good, I hope those horrible artifical ones get pulled esp. aspartame. That stuff causes cancer in mice. ew.

oops. Did you get the memo? FDA has reversed their position. They only did that when the big food and sweetener conglomerates put pressure on them, leading to things like Truvia. But now, the flood gates are open, any supplier can apply to the FDA and sell stevia as a sweetener.

And yes, I routinely use stevia.

Hey bsc what store carries it I can’t find it . Cann you tall me what store you found it and how much you paid.

I saw it at Walmart the other day! They have the “Stevia in the Raw” brand which is made by the same people who make “Sugar in The Raw” (which was my favorite sugar before D - tastes like rock candy!). The Stevia in the Raw was like 7$ for I think 500 packages (you can get loose too). This was the powdered form.

But there are lots of different brands. You can get it at any health food store. Whole Foods has it. I do not think I have seen it at Trader Joes. I didn’t see it at my local chain grocery store. Vitamin Shoppe has there own brand of it now too.

You can get it in powder form or a liquid extract (the liquid extracts often come in flavors like Root beer too - but check the carbs too)

About 2 weeks ago, my neighbor made some zucchini bread and she made some of it with Stevia. She gave some of it to me and that was the first time I ever had it. She said the first batch did not come out and her daughter told her how to alter her recipe to get it to come out. I can’t remember what she said she did though - I want to say just put a little more water in but who knows! I thought it was pretty good.

If you look at the label many artificial sweeteners are cut with things like dextrose, a sugar. Be wary of anything that ends in “ose”. It’s a tiny amount but in the morning when I sometimes battle dawn phenomena it seems to give me problems. I found a brand, SweetLeaf All Natural Zero Calories SteviaPlus, that is cut with fiber so thats what I use. I know Dr. Bernstein for one says to watch out for these hidden sugars.

Since I live in a rural area I have found it easier to order online, Amazon for one caries it. The liquid forms are another choice if you are concerned with this.

Stevia is very potent so only a tiny amount is needed to replace a teaspoon of sugar. If you use too much it gets very bitter.

I use the liquid flavored ones in water for a nice tasting drink. They are also available online if you can’t find them locally. The Sweet Leaf brand is what I have tried. It’s fairly pricey but lasts forever, since you dispense it with an eyedropper.

I’m looking for a store that carries it .Someone help please

If you can’t find stevia locally, www.vitaminshoppe.com carries powdered stevia with fiber as the bulking agent. It’s their Vitamin Shoppe brand. It’s zero carbs, zero calories. As mentioned, Truvia & some others add dextrose.

Some stevia has a bitter after taste, so try a few brands to find one you like. I only use the powdered form because the lquid is more processed.

If you cook with stevia, add a bit more than you think you’ll need because some of the sweetness cooks out with heat.

I do know that my local Giant carries Truvia. Giant is the same chain as Stop and Shop which is in NJ. Why don’t you give that a try?

Hey Gerri I’m using it to make your muffins,Hope I do it right thanks. bsc stop and shop didn;t have it
Going to whole foods

Nothing you can do wrong with muffins. Hope you enjoy them!

Check labels. Not all stevia is the same. You can find a conversion chart on-line to know how much to use.

ok your the BEST thanks lots of hugs

Hugs back, D.

D,

If you find powdered erythritol at Whole Foods, buy some. If they have granular, you can powder it easily in a blender. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol, but it doesn’t have the gastric upset problems or BG raising properties of other sugar alcohols. It’s very close to sugar in recipes. Combined with stevia, it works great to cut the stevia bitterness. I’ve been using it & love it.

In case you missed my post above, Walmart has it. Stevia in the Raw and had no carbs and was cheap. Depending on the size of your Whole Foods - they might just have the Truvia. Get the pure stuff and no carbs. I think the Truvia had carbs in it. Hope you find a good brand.

I was actually surprised to find Truvia at CVS a couple weeks ago in the aisle where they carry food items.But every grocery store I go to carries Truvia and a couple others now.