Giving up artificial sweetener

I am getting married in 8 months and we are hoping to start a family soon after that. With that in mind I have reduced my intake of caffeine to one cup a day and recently (5 days ago) gave up all artificial sweetener. I even put a piece of sugar free gum in my mouth the other day and spit it out as soon as I realized what I had done! I started using 2 teaspoons of agave in my tea/coffee in the morning instead of Splenda. My blood sugars have been running really well in the mornings, when I take a unit of insulin for the agave it does not spike my sugar at all. Anyone else doing anything like this? Or have suggestions?

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

I use stevia & really like it. It’s a natural sweetener from a plant, zero carbs & has no effect on BG. Stevia is super sweet, so you only use a tiny bit. If you try it, read the label because some brands adding bulking agents to make it similar to a quantity of sugar, which does add carbs. The kind I use has none. Stevia can be used in anything.

Thanks!

I’ve tried Stevia, but I really don’t like the taste…it’s a little too bitter for me. I was staying at a friend’s house a few weeks ago and my only choices for sweetener were sugar or Stevia. I used about 1/2 packet of Stevia in my coffee (I used to use 2 splenda) and it was still too sweet/bitter…

Some brands are kind of bitter. I haven’t tried it, but liquid stevia (with no alcohol) is supposed to have less of an aftertaste.

I use stevia mostly for baking so maybe the taste isn’t as strong as it would be coffee & I use a tiny bit.

Try Xylosweet. I get it at Whole Foods. Its granulated like sugar and to me is a perfect replacement. Good luck on your upcoming nuptials.

Does Xylosweet have a laxative effect like those others? Too bad it has carbs because it sounds great.

Maple syrup is low on the glycemic index. I use a small amount in coffee and other things that need sweetening.

Am I missing something here? What precisely is wrong with sugar-free gum, either in the context of pregnancy or otherwise?

In general, artificial sweetener may not be that great for your body…even though I have been using them since I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 4! But, when I am pregnant, everything I put in my mouth will have an impact on my growing child, so I want to make sure that what I put into my body is as pure as possible. So, instead of needing to give it up cold turkey when I will also be focusing on a whole host of other things, I decided to work on giving it up now and getting used to not putting certain things in my body. This is definitely a personal decision…I was just putting it out there to see what other people do!

I use agave, too. I use it to sweeten tea. It doesn’t spike my sugar, either, unless I measure wrong (which I sometimes do, believe it or not!). I wish they sold it in packets. When I’m out, I just end up drinking my teas without any sweetener at all. Took some getting used to, and it’s not so bad now!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Thanks so much for this…I will have to look for xylitol at the store!

I gave up putting artifical sweetners in my coffee or tea years ago, other than what’s added to drinks I don’t use sweetners.

Unlike other sugar substitutes xylitol does have carbs, but not as much as sugar. It can also have a laxative effect on some people just like manitol & sorbitol.

Di-check this out-just found it tonight on Amazon. It seems Stash is the only company doing this-each stick of agave is one teaspoon…its a little pricey-but seems well worth it for me! I found it being sold by some other websites but it was cheapest on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Stash-Premium-Nectar-Sticks-20-Count/dp/B001EQ5O6Y

has anyone tried ‘just like sugar’? I found it at whole foods… it looks interesting.

Michelle

For me, no not at all…

I am a Stevia and Splenda fanatic. We have NO other sugars in our house. As for sugar alcohols, you can have them. If I use them amd I am on the “throne” for hours.

My bf bought the Xylitol and said it supposed to better than things like Splenda etc.It says it is made specifcally for diabetics but I haven’t checked the package for carbs yet. I don’t like the aftertaste of Stevia but I’ll have to try different forms of it. I don’t like the idea of using artificial things either. I don’t care if things are super sweet or anything so I might just leave it out of things.

I also cut down on artificial sweeteners for similar reasons as you. I’ve been using Truvia in my morning coffee. It’s not nearly as sweet as Splenda, but I think it’s the best choice so far. I’ve tried agave but the after taste really grosses me out.

I did not notice an after taste when using Truvia. My husband (who really can’t stand the after taste inherent with artificial sweeteners) did not notice an after taste either.