Nearly a week since diagnosis

What @Lorraine said! When you need a break (and you do or will), you need somebody to help you. My wife and I went through something similar, when all of our friends said how lucky our son was to have parents like us, and then wouldn’t let our son go to their house because they didn’t want the responsibility. At the time we felt so overwhelmed by the whole thing.

My recommendation is that as soon as you can, develop a simple caregiver’s instruction manual (i.e. check bg at the following times), when bg is above a threshold do the following…And then train someone to help you, so you can get a break from time to time. Even if all it says, is when bg is above a threshold to call you, that is better than nothing.

2 Likes

Thank you all I just feel like when she was healthy and well nobody really bothered to really help and now all that comments are just so isolating.

When I had children I didn’t think it would be so lonely and now my daughter is ill I feel like it’s even more lonely but we are slowly getting there and have hope for th future.
Her diabetic team all seem lovely, straightforward and helpful so I am sure I can talk to them to point us in some sort of direction. Thank you

6 Likes

No one knows it all. We never will at least for the time being so don’t beat yourself up about it. A lot of us just have to grow into thick skin on top of all the other challenges and anxieties life throws our way. It’s a tough start but your daughter and you will find a way it just takes some adjustments in life is all. The main part I would say is take your time with the information download because it is a lot. Take the time to lover each other and never let her see that its a burden on you at her age. But eventually you will have to let her do everything on her own and grow into a strong woman. I wish you both the best of luck. You can always ask this site for questions. Tu helped me a lot when I was diagnosed. Emotionally and mentally.

4 Likes

Thank you that’s amazing. She’s giving me strength slowly we will get there.:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

2 Likes

Hi Osob- you are now officially your daughter’s pancreas, a job nobody would choose willingly but one that has been thrust upon you. You are lucky in one sense - there are many communities online that are full of kind people in your situation who will happily help and share. In 35 years as a t1 I never really met or spoke to a single fellow diabetic. I was fine because it was me and not my child, and I have no doubt that being a parent of a t1 is MUCH harder than being one yourself. On Facebook there are many fabulous closed groups, and even ones just for mothers like yourself. The one I frequent the most is called typeonegrit and I have met so many incredibly knowledgable people there. Another thing you might want to do is check out the YouTube channel called Diabetes University. There hours and hours worth of videos an A parent like yourself like yourself even put together a playlist for parents of newly diagnosed children. Everything there offers a somewhat alternative view to what the Ada espouses, but it is chocked full of useful info to add to your quickly growing arsenal of diabetes related knowledge.
Best of luck, you can definitely do this!

3 Likes

I’m so sorry Osob. You caught it early…that’s a blessing, and YES…you have each other.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. It’s never easy to be a parent, especially to a child with a serious chronic condition. As you know already, it’s day by day, and at times moment by moment.
Love and baskets of hugs…linda :heart:

4 Likes

@Linda_G! So nice to see you!!! (Sorry - don’t mean to hijack the thread, just excited to see ya!)

1 Like

first off BREATHE. I am 31 my daughter is 5 she was diagnosed at 3. Im a single parent her dad isnt around at all. I have grandparents and they are 86 and 88 so they cant help much. I have an uncle and his wife but my daughter barely goes over there. Its not going to be easy but research research research. Thats what i did i knew nothing about type 1. Set a routine that can help in some way . Trust me everything will calm down but please research its made my and my daughter life easier

1 Like

Very helpful and kind words, Timbeak48.
I will venture to say, helpful for all readers on this forum.
Thank you

To Halvdan,
Great advice and you are quite right about becoming your child’s pancreas. This is exactly what it’s like with a very young child with Type 1.
Thank you

This is a challenge, Osob and you are right to come here for support. Once she gets to school age,I believe that school nurses are far better educated about Type 1 than they used to be. Right now, you need some “respite” care and wonder if your physician’s office could advise you about qualified people .

1 Like

What about having someone watch your child and you stay home in an area of the house where you can have alone time or have a friend over while someone cares for her. You will be close by and can be there if something seems like it’s not quite right with your child. Maybe you could install a camera so you could see what is happening yet enjoy your own time!

2 Likes

My mother diagnosed me when I was 4 years old. I am now 55 and have a 17 year old and a 13 year old. My mom did have help from my father, however mainly she raised me to know I needed to learn and she would help me. All while she was learning and worried about what it would mean for me. The judgement that you are faced with is hard! You will need to be strong to remind yourself and your daughter that not everybody understands diabetes and its care. Over the years I have heard all sorts of things. I have to let some go in one ear and out the other. I now typically thank the person for their concern and continue on. Keep looking for others that can offer some support and/or a friendly non-judgmental ear.

Osob , does your diabetes support team have a diabetes support GROUP–parents of diabetic children who can share their experiences with their child and with reluctant family and friends? Ask them. Might give them an opportunity to start one!

1 Like

Thank you are spot on there are so many groups, it’s amazing. I have found that I think something and someone else is thinking the same and posting it on the groups.
I have felt alone and isolated before I found tudiabetes.
People might go on about the negatives when it comes to the internet but for people like us it’s a God send to be honest. :kiss::kiss::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

1 Like

I don’t know but will ask them about it. When I was younger they used to do day outs where we get to meet others with diabetes. It was amazing but I think lack of funds has thrown that out.
:kiss::kiss::kiss:

7 posts were split to a new topic: Mis Post

T1 is an auto immune disease. A person’s diet or consumption of carbs DOESN’T cause or even trigger T1D. That theory was debunked long ago. There is a genetic component that causes the body to attack and kill off the beta cells in the pancreas because our immune system mistakes it for a disease. Siblings of T1Ds are at the greatest risk, but children of T1Ds are still at increased risk over the general population.
Drinking straight sugar-water doesn’t cause or trigger T1D! It would rot out all the teeth in your head but you wouldn’t get T1D!!!

2 Likes

I am very confused right now but thank you everyone for posting, a good debate doesn’t hurt anyone and knowing limits is very important in not hurting others.

I am sure professionals make mistakes in diagnosing patients and misdiagnosis also happens meaning people end up in all sorts of situations.

I am a long time diabetic and have always felt supported and encouraged on tudiabetes and I am glad to say I am still feeling the same. If Maria getting diabetes was due to unhealthy eating I wouldn’t agree as I have always tried to give her a healthy diet, we have no added sugar juices and lots of water lying around for her to drink. A healthy diet and the occasional treat same as everyone in the family.
I do wish it was a mistake and that she’s not diabetic
but I have come to terms with it, I checked her sugar levels a lot before I actually took her to the hospital because I was certain of the fact she is type 1 just as I was diagnosed at the exact same age as her. She had all the symptoms.

5 Likes

All I can say is, it gets easier with time.Be positive!!!