Need Fast Tandem Advice

Hey all Tandem t slim users… I just filled my cartridge and I filled it with insulin before completing the prepare for cartridge step which means the pump was trying to remove air from the cartridge when there was insulin in there rather than before.

I called tandem help and although they’re usually pretty helpful this tech refused to tell me if was ok to just use that cartridge after completing all the steps. Instead he said I have to decide if I think it’s ok… wtf? isn’t that what pump tech help is supposed to do based on prior experiences? I’m just wondering if the insulin is ok now with the pump trying to remove air while there was already insulin in the new cartridge, or should I toss the whole thing and start over.

My bg is already spiked and I don’t want any more problems.

Thanks!

I was actually taught to fill the cartridge before putting it in the pump. I use the syringe to remove air, fill the cartridge, then remove the empty cartridge and replace with the new one. I’ve never had any issues doing it this way. I’ve heard older versions of the tslim did some things differently though, so maybe this was one of the changes? I would be inclined to just try a correction and retest after 30 minutes and decide then if it’s necessary to change it out again.

2 Likes

Thanks Ahenrietta, I ended up throwing out the cartridge because bg spiked to 270 and I don’t want to end up in the hospital again. I did have to do an inj to get it down too. Of course it just went back up when I had to eat, it’s just a vicious never ending cycle.

That is interesting you were told to do that. I would not want to try to remove air from my cartridge with a syringe, would that even work? I guess it must though? I feel there are way too many steps with the tandem and I wish they would improve upon this and other things such as full integration with dexcom and shutting off or lowering basal when you go too low. I will ask my pump rep about all of this- I’m meeting with her this week. I also want to know if I can update to the new software that takes into account the time of your last bolus before letting you do correction after correction.

Removing air with a syringe is how the newer firmware works… it doesn’t have the pump try to pull it out for you.

1 Like

oh no :frowning: one more crazy step I’m going to have to do when I update my pump. I really hate doing anything with syringes period. I always end up with huge air bubbles, leaking insulin and I can never see which line is which without a magnifying glass when I inj so I have to triple check I have the right dose

Thats how i do my tSlim too. I put the syringe in first still filled with insulin and withdraw the air from the cartridge. Once I have all the air removed, then i remove the syringe and get the air out of the syringe, then reinsert it and inject the insulin into the cartridge. Haven’t had any problems. Once the air has been removed and the insulin put in the cartridge, I remove the old cartridge and insert the new one.

1 Like

Thanks Kitkat2,

The rep confirmed all of this and said the reason they changed this was because people complained that it took too long to have the pump do this. I think it was a mistake because it doesn’t take that long and there is more room for error and more pain in the neck steps using a syringe. I’m not pleased I will have to do another step or two and I hate anything to do with syringes.

She gave me some tips on everything about how not to get air in your syringe so I will be making my own video about this and she said they will have an official video soon, not specifically for the removing air but a general cartridge change but it will include that too.

I will be able to eventually update to new software which takes into consideration when your last bolus was given and not just the amount before allowing more corrections and there will a be a new pump in two years prolly that is fully integrated with dexcom and which will shut off insulin when you go too low.

I can understand your hesitancy with syringes. I’m a nurse so I’m used to doing all sorts of strange transfers of medications with syringes, but it has to be something you are comfortable with doing too. It will be exciting if Tandem releases a new pump in a few years that is fully integrated. I hated CGM with Medtronic. I’m not too wild about it period, but I might be willing to decide to give it another go with Dexcom. Everything everyone says about it has been great. I did like that feature with the newest Medtronic pump that it could suspend your insulin deliver if you started trending low and didn’t do anything to intervene. Trouble is Medtronics CGM is so god awful inaccurate and all over the place its more headache than helpful.

1 Like