Need help parents! - Type 1 infant with flu

We’ve got a 1 year old with type 1 up here in cowtown, she was diagnosed at 8 months. We’ve been able to avoid illness until this week when she got the stomach flu. Vomiting and diarrhea were the main offenders but we also had plummeting sugars and frantic attempts to keep it up.

We’ve had to resort to squirting maple syrup in her mouth through a syringe while forcing her mouth open to get her out a few 2.3’s and 2.8’s over the last 2 days.

Tried tonight: cake icing, sugar, fruit bars, bananna, frozen yogurt, popsicle, sprite, maple syrup, glucose tab. All failed except forced cake icing and maple syrup.

So, now to the questions:

1. Does anyone with a diabetic infant/child have any quick sugar alternatives for a baby that doesn’t like sweet things? Do they make a quick acting/dissolving sugar tablet?

2. Can diluted insulin (she’s on u-50 Humalog) strengthen or seperate over time? We gave her .035 units of humalog and she went from 17.1 to 2.8 in the span of 90 minutes.

thanks for any help, support, guidance.

brad.

have you tried insta-glucose gel? we had to rub it on our son’s gums once. he didn’t like it, but it absorbed very quickly.

i’ll have a look for this, first time we’ve heard of it actually.

thanks!
b.

We just went through this with our son last week, he is 3. you have to cut way back on the insulin, we went from give 7 units of NPH (long lasting ) in the morning to 3 units and we cut out the nova rapid altogether no matter what he ate. we stayed with that until he was better, which was monday. We ended up using small doses of glucagon, one unit for every year of his age to bring his sugar up and check sugar level every 15 minutesfor 1 hour, after a half hour if level wasnt over 8 we gave 2 units for every year of his age. it was enough to bring him up to around the 12’s. not sure if you’ve heard of it but definitely ask your doctor or endo about it and how to use it correctly for your child. it is also important to try to keep your child hydrated, we gave our son pedialyte, and gatorade. but your best advice is to speak to a doctor and ask them. this is what our sons endo told us to do. we couldnt keep our son higher than 3. and it is scary as hell.
please let me know how things work for you.

We also had our son admitted to our local hospital which was a struggle believe or not. i had to yell at them to get him into the er and fight to get him on an iv. after he was hooked up to an iv to help him replenish his fluids and bring his sugars up a little after almost 24 hrs he was doing much better as it helped to flush his body and help with the diarrhea. i hope all goes well for you and your child gets better fast.

dave

I went through this after Thanksgiving with my 3 year old. We had one REALLY scary day when I was about to take her to the ER because it took me almost 4 hours to get her sugar up to a normal level. I alos spoke with my Endo’s office, and they suggested giving her some Glucagon. The nurse also told me that when they have been sick like that for a while their liver has run out of it’s usual stores of sugar and that is why it is so hard to keep their numbers up.

I hope your little one is feeling better now.