New Flying Regulations

When i traveled to ohio to texas before xmas, i went thorugh without any trouble. I checked the tsa website and it said that diabetes anything is okay and doesn’t need scripts. So i held my breath while it went through, thought they might think i might use my needles as a form of attack to get the plane, but nobody said anything. Now when i traveled back home my bag got searched… i had a bottle of plumria lotion from bath and body works, they searched my whole bag and the lady asked me if she had to watch out for anything and i had to say needles… even though most of mine are properly wrapped and disposed i sometimes have a loose one around. So i told her to watch out for needles, probably freaked her out. My insulin was in my zipped bag, and everything else got looked through and then rescanned.
Almost lost my toothpaste… but instead i lost my lotion.
only people who love bath and body works as much as me can understand my pain…(and the extra pain of paying 30 dollars to put the suitcase in the back of the plan, i was trying to avoid that and did. that lady that searched my bag is probably using my lotion now…sigh)

Domo , as you said : somebody at the Airport may have liked your bod. lotion more than YOU , darn ;-( And you said tooooo much : NEEDLES …a lesson learned !

I’m getting ready to fly from NE Ohio to Orlando for a conference. I’m not worried about having limited access for a few reasons:

1. The last hour of the flight the seat belt light is typically on and you are preparing to land anyway. The new regulations just seem to be drawing more attention to this fact.

2. The problem flights will be shorter flights if they do strictly enforce this. Take Cleveland to Chicago for instance, it’s a two hour flight, so by the time you are at cruising altitude and able to get up you are about an hour away from Chicago!

3. Frankly, we all need to be responsible for ourselves and ask the flight attendant the flight time and expected arrival time. Check your blood sugar well in advance of the 1 hour deadline and treat your hyper or hypo accordingly and you will have no trouble in the final hour of your flight. It’s just an hour after all!

Sorry, don’t mean to be brash in my points but we can’t rely on others to be accountable for ourselves and we should focus on what we can do to be prepared instead of worrying about what we MIGHT not be able to do on a flight. Is our safety really worth arguing over whether or not we can get in our bags in the last hour of a flight?

Diabetes

Notify the Security Officer that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you. The following diabetes-related supplies and equipment are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened:
  • Insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products (vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, biojectors, epipens, infusers, and preloaded syringes;

• Unlimited number of unused syringes when accompanied by insulin or other injectable medication;

• lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, alcohol swabs, meter-testing solutions;

• Insulin pump and insulin pump supplies (cleaning agents, batteries, plastic tubing, infusion kit, catheter, and needle); Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin.

• Glucagon emergency kit;

• Urine ketone test strips;

• Unlimited number of used syringes when transported in Sharps disposal container or other similar hard-surface container.

• Sharps disposal containers or similar hard-surface disposal container for storing used syringes and test strips.

Insulin in any form or dispenser must be clearly identified.

If you are concerned or uncomfortable about going through the walk-through metal detector with your insulin pump, notify the Security Officer that you are wearing an insulin pump and would like a full-body pat-down and a visual inspection of your pump instead.

Advise the Security Officer that the insulin pump cannot be removed because it is inserted with a catheter (needle) under the skin.

Advise the Security Officer if you are experiencing low blood sugar and are in need of medical assistance.

You have the option of requesting a visual inspection of your insulin and diabetes associated supplies. See the Medication section below for details.

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.

We do not require that your medications be labeled.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) migraine inhalers and CO2 refills.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened.

Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

• You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.

• If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.

• Request the visual inspection and hand your medication pouch/bag to the Security Officer.

• In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection process.

• Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

I wonder if getting a note from the Doctor allowing to use the washroom would work. Drinking a lot of water on long international flights is the only way to try to prevent deep vein thrombosis unless you get a prescription blood thinner. aspirin does nothing.

I know here in Canada flying to the U.S.A has changed a few times over a period of 48 hours - and currently is still the same since Dec 26th. Any flights from Canada to other countries other then U.S.A, security is still the same. Again, as others have mentioned here, TSA is different at every airport I go to. Some seem to follow procedures, others not so much, you can just never know. With myself, I always get pulled over, it doesn’t take more then 15 minutes, it’s part of how travel is for me now with wearing a pump. The best TSA experience so far has been in Miami International (back in Dec), instead of being “felt over” (I always wish it could be a hunky guy - but they have to get a women for me - sigh - no fun). Anyway, they placed me in this big round glass container, that I believe took xrays of my body. I placed my feet in two positions. That was it - bing, bang, boom. The swabbed my pump. I was finished in under 5 minutes. I stopped to talk to them afterwards, and learned this is new, and I praised them for the efficiancy. Anything that makes my flying safer - thumbs up!!!

Now, with the new regs since the Christmas threat, CATSA (Canadian Airport Travel Security Authority) now does not allow ANY carry on luggage on board the aircraft - and also large purses are not being allowed. I always travel with a carry on when travelling, so with US flights now, until things change, I’ll have to pay to put my luggage underneath for the security measures currently in place (I’m cheap okay?). Exceptions as usual are made for people with medical equipment. So, as always, have prescription labels, letter from endo/GP, just be prepared, and you’ll have no probs at all.

Below is the latest Temporary emergency measures include no carry-on bags to U.S.A. taken from this link.

" Effective immediately (Dec 26th), CATSA is implementing temporary emergency measures at security checkpoints under the direction of Transport Canada. These measures are in response to a failed terrorist attack on board an aircraft from Amsterdam to Detroit on December 25, 2009. These new measures will affect all flights from Canada to the United States.

U.S.A. bound passengers are permitted zero carry-on bags effective immediately and lasting for several days. Passengers travelling within Canada are still permitted two carry-on bags (although to make the screening process most efficient, fewer carry-on items is preferred).

These rules will be strictly enforced during this period. There will be no flexibility.

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as medication or medical devices, small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, a special needs item, musical instruments, or diplomatic or consular bags. "

NB: Not sure if Tudiabetes admin will allow this post to go thru’ - as this is the 2nd time I’ve posted this reply - and it’s disappeared for some reason. Being Canadian and this thread only applies to U.S.A. - maybe this is the reason for the screening. Yikes - first at airports - then on websites . Only kidding … sorta.

Mike - you are so right in all your points. One hour of not checking BG’s./correcting BG’s will not hurt you for that long. I want a safe flight to my destination that’s the main thing (oh and a cheap ticket - that’s why I fly out of either Burlington, VT or other U.S.A. airports close by).

LOL. You’re fine, Anna. Sorry the site was giving your posting some trouble.

Domo - was your Body and Bath lotion in your carry on? If it was, sadly, anything that’s over 3 oz. (or doesn’t fit into that little bag we now have to pack our liquids in) - it gets ditched. I have a friend who runs the CATSCA (like TSA) - and everything that gets removed doesn’t get used by them - it gets tossed out. I saw one women lose a bottle of expensive perfume one time here at Montreal - into the bin - gone.
BTW - I love Bath and Body Works products - we don’t have it here in Canada - but when I go to the U.S.A. and I’m feeling flush with $$$‘s (tho’ our dollars are pretty well at par now - whoo! whoo!) - I like to buy a few goodies from there. Just place those in your luggage that goes UNDERNEATH the airplane, and put into a gallon zip lock bag - as sometimes the baggage handlers toss our luggage like it’s junk (but the thing is - it’s my junk with good stuff in it - e.g. BBW products, alcohol, etc.).

When my carry on has been searched - twice last year - the TSA do it in front of you - while you stand behind the glass screened in compartment. You are not allowed to touch anything until they are finished. The first time was not pleasant, as they were looking for something, and I couldn’t hear them thru’ the glass enclosure, and I was allowed to come out, but by accident I almost touched my bag, and got yelled at. It’s not a fun job for them, you have to remember that. Imagine, having to go thru’ a weeks worth of dirty knickers - ugh - nope - not a job I’d like to do!

I actually was supposed to be doing a short stint on Radio Noon today here in Montreal - on the latest developments for travel to U.S.A. from Canada. We now are going to have full body scanners, which I’ve had experience with in your country. Alot of people very angry with this latest development of security at airports. Silly ones say - they won’t travel to U.S.A. by air. Still think the best route is like El Al and human interaction with passengers as they go through security. I go thru’ this when crossing the border to U.S.A. by car, they know if you are lying, they’ve been trained. As others say, machine help, but still we humans know best if we are trained.

everybody should be able to have a bag of some sorts to put there immediate stuff. I boarded alot of tiny planes, and on one of them i had to put my carry on far away from my seat because there was no room near by me. But i did have my backpack with me, something easy to kick underneath your seat. You should have seen people trying to stuff backpacks into the tiny space, there bacpacks were filled past there max! My luggage (i choose not to stow underneath the plane cuz it cost more) almost didn’t fit. maybe it is easier just to bring a purse/backpack on the plane, only.

Domo - I just know for Canadian travellers coming to the USA - if you have a medical condition that requires you to carry meds with you (like we PWD’s do) - we’re allowed to bring them on board. Provided you have the packages showing our names, etc. on the prescription label (it’s always been this way even before what happened on December 25th for air travel). I’m like you tho’ - hate to pay to put my luggage underneath - that’s why I’ve always traveled with a carry on, but that’s not possible anymore when flying to your country. The same applies to backpacks - sigh. At least Americans flying within their own country can still bring a backpack onto their flight (envy here), but who knows, that may change. All we can do is just take everything in stride one day at a time.

BTW, I eventually got to do my radio stint yesterday :). We had more time on the afternoon show (Home Run on CBC radio from 4-6 p.m.). Many people here in Canada are having issues with the full body scanners that are coming to Canada in the Spring time. I told listeners I’d rather do that then the regular hand pat down. Much faster, less evasive, and yes, your picture is taken of your body. Just try to think of it as if you are wearing a bikini in the summer time with the x-ray pics - and then it’s not so bad (tho’ I haven’t worn a bikini since … ). Supposedly, if you are clean (you aren’t a threat) - the pictures are deleted toot sweet! It’s funny tho’ at the time I was being scanned, I wasn’t thinking about what I looked like, I just thought "this is neat - feels like I’m in 2001: A Space Odyssey movie ". I know, I so friggin’ naive aren’t I?

Regardless US friends …stay tuned : hubby and I are flying after I carry the Olympic Torch , to your country on Jan . 29 …we will be prepared :slight_smile: and bring " summer cloths " …whoopy …tonight minus 10 degrees Celcius …equals 14 F ?? Great pay-off .

Can you pack me in your bag Nel? I promise to be quiet as a mouse.

I come from a long line of “red-heads” of direct Scottish decent. Strapping any one of my relatives, diabetic or not, to a seat for an hour at the end of a long flight is definitely going to be trouble. Good luck to them !!!
Sheila

I was once questioned for two hours, asked to give part of the presentation I was there to give to security, and my business associates called at home when trying to fly out of Israel on El Al.

They ended up almost causing me to miss my plane notwithstanding arriving hours early, and then drove me out to the plane on my own cart after it was already on the runway. (Where it was sitting next to Air Force One… and I had been kicked out of the Jerusalem Hilton for Clinton & crew, staying in the room next to the Presidential Suite…)

We just flew in last night from Venezuela where we spent a time with family and friends. To be fair, the entire process, from check-in, security, travel, etc. was one of the best experiences we’ve had in a long time. This was particularly surprising, considering that we flew American Airlines (an airline that I had long decided not to fly with).

So, at least for the time being, it seems that not much has changed, at least in terms of flights from Venezuela. We’ll see…

The new regulations, which are really old regulations, don’t have anything to do with our safety, so I have to call you on your words. “Is our safety really worth arguing over whether or not we can get in our bags in the last hour of a flight”

Our safety is not the concern of the TSA, so the question does not apply to real life. If you have deluded yourself into thinking TSA can keep us safe by strip searching gramma, and making OUR lives miserable because they refuse to profile the obvious passengers, maybe there really is no hope to regaining our freedoms in this country.

John

I wonder about that myself…last year I few to China…and had no problems at all…I even went through body scanners …not a real problem…I was happy to take the efforts to try and make me safe…3 Years ago Mexico was my biggest problem, they actually wanted me to pull out the site …I told them NO WAY… I said I would die if I did and they let me on the plane…!
I always carry a prescription to carry my supplies and I had it laminated… so I am ready to go!
Now I wonder beause this Jerk had a syringe and I carry back up syringes in the event of failure. The funny thing that the FDA does not allow remote control devices on flights…but the ultra link meter does just that!!! The world of flying is in constant change…who knows what next I guess…

“Advise the Security Officer if you are experiencing low blood sugar and are in need of medical assistance.”

I would just like to comment on this particular statement. I flew Continental Airlines two years ago from Newark to London. I was meeting my son and daughter (adults) in the boarding area. I waited so long to go through the security check and tried explaining about my pump and showing my letter from my endo. I was running low. I simply told the TSA that I had diabetes and did not feel well. She told me to sit down and proceeded to ignore me - I could have sat there for hours. She completely ignored me. I would like to re-iterate that we are NOT the responsibiity of the TSA and do not count on being helped if you need it. I rumaged through my back-pac and got some raisins. I would definitely not even go through the security on my own anymore. Do not count on getting assistance.
Sheila