New Freestyle Libre

While trending BG info is better than no BG info, I want reasonable accuracy and precision, too. I wouldn’t want to wear a sensor that just provides trending data.

the “use for trending info” is such a cop out! That’s exactly the narrative that MM pushed for years on end, with regard to the inaccuracy of the Sof Sensors and the Enlites, both of which I used. I got a refund on the former due to it never working for me with a darn. I wasted tons of my time dealing with Enlite issues also, but no refund because it came with my pump. Who the heck wants to wear something just for “trending info”, ESPECIALLY WHEN SAID TRENDING INFO ISN’T EVEN ACCURATE?? what a crock! Do I really want to see TOTALLY FALSE trending info for my overnight bg’s, telling me I’m “below 40” all night, thanks to the technology of the Enlites (and Sof Sensors) that caused false lows when I’m lying down? What is the point?

1 Like

Well said. I have been looking forward to fewer finger sticks and an easier means of tracking my blood glucose during activities like biking and skiing. I’m now where without accuracy! Libre promises “no finger sticks” and customer satisfaction, but it was very difficult to get just one replacement sensor.

1 Like

Umm, we do not all need or want the same things and we do not all have the financial means to have a Dex or Medtronic sensors. I would love trending info, and so would other folks My basal dose is low, i have very little warning of occlusions and many times I cannot tell if my BG is going up or down. i also do not get sick from high BG, so I really cannot tell when the occlusion or bad set is happening. I would just love being able to have a little bit of an idea what path I am heading down. Btw, I liked the review from Gary Scheiner at Integrated Diabetes Services on the Libre. Very balanced and covers all sides.

2 Likes

I’ll check out Gary Scheiner’s review. Thank you.

Here’s the Gary Scheiner Libre review link. I’m off to read it now!

3 Likes

Thanks

But but but what good is trending if the trending is wrong? I had to endure more than a year of trending numbers that were completely and utterly wrong. If the data is wrong why does the buzzword “trending” somehow make up for that major deficiency?

Since I have never used anything related to trending info, I can’t say exactly how much I would trust it. I just do not have anything to go on.

Wil Dubois at DiabetesMine reviewed the Libre today. His review is mixed but he still holds out hope for the Libre’s future.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

The review Wil Dubois gave is pretty consistent with what I am experiencing with the Libre so far. my consensus; it just is not accurate enough to be a useful tool for managing Type 1. I was so excited when I first got mine, and for the first day it seemed to be working just fine. About 10% off from my meter at any given time and with trending arrows accurate. The accuracy got worse and worse each and every day I wore it until on day 5 it was consistently 70 points off! Called Abbott and got a new sensor and a brand new reader. On day one of the new supplies and this morning everything seemed great. Accuracy was within 2-15 points from my meter and was basically spot on if I gave time for the reader to catch up to my blood BG samples. Skip ahead a few hours… No mealtime insulin on board, fully hydrated and the Libre says 168, check my meter and it says 114! Eat a meal, take insulin, and two hours later check the Libre… 214. Check my meter and its 167! Ugg! this is not even close enough to be of any use to me or my doctor. I’m checking it against both my Omnipod’s built in meter and my extra Freestyle Lite meter which are both very accurate and consistent. It also has odd quirks. For instance every time I take a shower the Libre “raises my BG” 30-40 points and wont go down for a couple of hours. Bizarre. Very hard to establish trends with this lack of accurate data. I’ll wear it for a couple more days and see how it pans out, but my initial impression of the Libre is that it is a flop! Such a huge disappointment as I really needed this to work and I cannot afford the alternatives :disappointed:

1 Like

I really think it’s one of those things that depends on the person and the sensor site. Ive been using it for around 2 months now after using the Dexcom G4 and G5. I would say it over-reports highs but if you wait it will shortly come back down to where your blood sugar actually is. While I think the Dexcom was more accurate overall, I did find it missed spikes sometimes for me and would show my blood sugar being much lower than it was overnight. Overall I think it is accurate enough for a type 1 to use as a cheaper alternative to Dexcom, though for some it may not be.

1 Like

For me the only thing that is accurate enough is something that is accurate.

2 Likes

Well, for sure, but there is always a cost-benefit analysis that comes into play unless you have insurance coverage. The government will cover pumps for everyone where I live, which is sensible and fantastic, but will not cover CGMs yet.

Also, I would say that it is pretty accurate overall. I rely on it for bolusing and corrections, and rarely test unless I feel something is very off.

Well, read the Diabetes Mine and Gary Scheiner reviews on the Libre, (thank you for the links), and started a new sensor day before yesterday. This morning, 90 minutes after breakfast, the finger stick and sensor analysis were 79 points off. 30 minutes later, only 39 points off. Flat arrow on the sensor in both cases. I cannot possibly manage treatment decisions with such unreliable data. Sensor is properly placed on the back of my arm. So disappointed. Going to ask Abbot for a replacement reader, although I am skeptical anything will change.

1 Like

sounds a bit risky, Scott, but it’s your welfare, not mine. :slight_smile: Hope you don’t have an serious repercussions from relying on it for bolusing/corrrections. I’ve had two instances when using my Dexcom that it was off enough that I regretted bolusing off of it. Any device less accurate than the Dexcom would scare the bejesus out of me if I was always relying on it in lieu of periodic finger sticks.

I get what you’re saying, you have to know your body. I relied on the Dexcom G4 for dosing, only tested when it needed a calibration, and never got in serious trouble. The Libre is accurate enough that if it says I’m 6 mmol/L for example, I know I’m likely somewhere between 5 and 7, so I’m comfortable enough dosing off of it. Also I tolerate hypos well for whatever reason, I’m extremely aware of them but they don’t significantly impair me no matter how low I am, so I’m always able to treat myself right away and they aren’t a big deal. If this wasn’t the case I’d definitely be more hesitant relying on this technology!

2 Likes

This is the same problem and the same kind of discrepancy I am having using a One Touch meter and my two Roche meters. Same issue, same kinds of readings. I’m doing much better on the Roche…

As far as Roche, I used their heavy, huge, motorized Accucheck Compact Plus for several years…until I finally realized (no idea why it took me so long) that when I’d get a bit high, the readings were always higher than they should be, and if I got into the 200’s they were seriously reading WAY too high. I would do corrections off of those readings and wondered why I’d crash so much, so often. At some point I began checking them against some of the other meters I had laying around and noticed that the Compact Pluse’s (i had at least 4 of them) would always read much higher in the high range, than every other meter. I’m so glad at some point I switched to another brand and that solved that problem. I can’t remember if I switched to the Contour Next or another meter, but things improved. I do remember for sure that I began using the Contour Next Link when I got my latest pump in Dec of 2014. Contour Next models (I have 3 different models) all give apparently accurate readings no matter how high or low my bg’s are. Giving how great the correlation is between the G5 and my Contours, I’d say their accuracy is given a bit of extra authentication by those independent readings.

1 Like