New genetic findings could lead to greater understanding of type 2 diabetes

Australian researchers identified 42 new genetic variants associated with the development of type 2 diabetes using a new technique based on a statistical tool. The researchers, who reported their findings in Nature Communications, said the findings could lead to new opportunities for drugs to treat the disease.

2 Likes

I[quote=“Mila, post:1, topic:69972”]
New genetic findings could lead to greater understanding of type 2 diabetes
[/quote]

These genetic studies also may definitively prove the onset of T2D happens first, followed by weight gain in many people. Then we can put to rest that toxic blame and shame game that much of our culture has mistakenly embraced.

Separately, I found this note interesting at the bottom of the linked Diabetes UK site.

Editor’s note: Our Low Carb Program has already demonstrated some amazing results in helping people with prediabetes avoid type 2 diabetes. So far more than 340,000 people have registered and those who have completed it achieve an average HbA1c reduction of 13 mmol/mol (1.2 per cent) and also lose seven per cent of their body weight.

What are the ADA and the medical professional associations waiting for? Their head in the sand attitude can now be viewed as deliberately doing harm to public health. This continuing attitude violates the first rule of medicine: First, do no harm.

3 Likes

They are great supporters of the LC diet! And makes you wonder about ADA and others. :thinking:

1 Like

With the experience of 340,000 participants, the ADA and the doctor’s associations can no longer hide behind a claim of ignorance! Carb limitations work in managing diabetes and to deny this fact is medical malfeasance.

2 Likes

We’ve been around this block a gazillion times, haven’t we, Terry? All I can think is that it comes back to all the money pharma makes off of us when we need their meds.

Now, of course, many of us literally would lead short, not-sweet lives without medicinal assistance—including me. But, as we have said for soo many years: “It’s the Carbs, stupid.” At the very least, it should be obvious that even if you need meds, you’ll need fewer meds if you moderate your carb intake.

Sigh…That’s Judith in Portland, Ye Olde Broken Record checking in.

3 Likes

It is always great to see you around! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m always nearby, dearheart. But after almost dying last fall followed by 5 weeks recovering in a nursing facility and now getting ready to move for the first time in a couple decades, I spend more time than I like feeling sort of looney tunes. So I am especially glad when I see you in a thread, lest I suddenly declare that the sun is the moon and we should all get naked to worship it when it is full…Sigh…xx000

2 Likes

We need to keep in mind that there’s always new people being added to our diabetes ranks. And within our cohort, some are just starting to wake up and think, “Maybe it really is the carbs!”

I’m starting to do some reading on heart disease as that’s a huge adversary of most of us here. I’m seeing more and more references to “hyperinsulinemia” in the literature. They suggest that it is an over-reacting pancreas and too much insulin that drives cardio-vascular disease.

Some have even suggested that people with hyperinsulinemia are simply people who don’t know yet that they are diabetic. This school of thought believes that hyperinsulinemia is the classic marker of diabetes not hyperglycemia.

1 Like

The prevention key would be to stop the cascade that starts the hyperinsulinemia – And, yes, too many carbs could be one of the potential triggers. Symptoms, though, there are: weight gain. Rather than check the glucose/BP/cholesterol of people who have become or are becoming overweight for signs of “trouble” - an assay of insulin and c-peptide (two, really: fasting and post-parandial) should be ordered.