New here, feeling very alone

Hi all, this is Rachel, thank you for advising me to go to th hospital. I was quickly diagnosed with heart failure. Which is best caught early. I’m having trouble reading the pages by phone, but will get back to you as soon as I get out of the hospital. Thank you again so much.

Rachel, I’m very sorry to hear about the heart failure diagnosis, but extremely happy you can now get the treatment you need!! Please keep us posted.

Rachel,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I can only add my voice to the others in saying that I’m sorry you have serious health concerns, but glad you have found them out and will be getting treatment. I encourage you to look for emotional support to those people…friends and family…in your life who are there for you and will support and encourage you to get the help you need. You might also consider a therapist because you have so much going on emotionally as well as physically right now. Don’t hesitate to contact me privately.

Rachel I am so glad you went to the ER. At least now you know what is wrong. I know that most of the time going to the hospital really messes with diabetes, but hopefully while in tne hospital you will get the D under some sembalance of control. Your still in my prayers.

i’m so sorry to hear about your troubles. I really hope that everything works out for you. Please keep us posted on how everything goes.

I wish you the best, and your D gets better treatment in the future! Amazing what online forums can do for us, catch things before they get worse, right?

Dear Rachel,

Reading the stuff you are going thru is really tearing my heart out, both of the health and husband. Look girl, I’m a survivor of 31 years of abuse and there in no way should you ever be treated the way your husband treats you. The man that I’m with is far more than I’ve ever expected. At 31, I met my husband. It took alot of me to let this man treat me good. I had always took care of everything work, the 4 kids, the cleaning, the cooking, getting on the bus to take care of things when I didn’t have a car, protecting the family from the ones who harmed us and the list goes on.

Now my husband, and I have been together for over 9 years. He has never put a hand on me and never ever put me down. He and I are both the breadwinners in the house and the cleaners, the cooks, and the ones who cares for the grandchildren.

The time will come and you will know what to do. If not, you have a friend here that will travel to were you are. I’m an advocate against all forms of abuse. I’ve rescued abused children, and fought off abusive people, and put them in prison by testifying. I’m not scared to protect God’s children, we even thou we are older are still God’s children.

Sorry this letter is long but this blog of yours really got to my heart were it hurts, do keep in touch. We are really worried about you.

Welcome Rachel! Hope you get well soon. I am T2 and as far as meds go I take Lantus in the evening 46 units and it does not matter what my BG is I take this amount at night all the time. My Metformin I take 1000 mg in the morning and another 1000 mg in the evening. I also now am taking Humalog before meals and how much I take does depend on my BG. I was probably taking the amount you were of the Metformin but when I finally got in to see an endo (I too first was going to a family physician) I was told that amount was to much and anything over 2000 mg per day does not help. I also felt really bad at first (for probably the first year) because I think I was seeing the wrong doctor once I got in to see the endo, educator, and nutritionist things got much better. Now I feel great more times then I feel bad. This is a frustrating time for you hang in there get in to see the right people and things will start to get better.

Rachel, I hope the ER experience puts you back on track toward feeling better soon. Diabetes can be a lonely condition, misunderstood by the most well-meaning doctors and family members.

I hope your brush with heart failure makes your husband re-evaluate his treatment of you. He’s being neglectful of your health, if nothing else, and that in and of itself is a kind of abuse.

I agree with others here who say a Type 2 should never be dealing with DKA. It sounds like you may need a different treatment regimen to bring you back to health. Please go see someone who specializes in Endocrinology as soon as humanly possible and ask for those tests others have mentioned.

We’re all here for you. Test with us tomorrow for the 14K test day! :slight_smile:

Dear Rachel.

Do you take metformin AKA glucophage. I get very sick on it. You can try and stop for a few days and se if you are better. 180 is not good. Are you on your feet a lot to cause swelling of the ankles? If so compression socks will help.

First and foremost Rachel, you need to take care of yourself. I am so sorry that you are having such a very rough time, and wish we could snap our fingers and make you better. I am thinking that it’s time for a second opinion. Maybe it’s depression over all that is going on in your life, but then you would know what’s bothering you. Typically, stress and depression and the like, causes higher BG’s…and maybe that’s why yours are higher. But I’m not a doc, and you might need to see someone else, just to make sure. If your doc is any professional at all, he/she won’t mind you asking for another opinion. Advocating for yourself and your health is one of the first things we learn as diabetics…the docs get about a month of medical schooling on diabetes, and we are much better at teaching them than them teaching us…call for that second opinion…and please keep in touch! Cathy J

Rachel, thank God you went and they found out what the health problem is. Maybe you’ll get a little rest there too without the demands at home, and you will find some help for dealing with your marriage as well. If it’s any kind of place they will automatically ask you if you are in danger at home. You are, if you are being kicked, so tell them that.

Rachel,

Praying for you and hoping that you’re getting the help you need in the hospital.

Rachel! Tina here, from Sonoma. I just emailed you privately. Listen – we need to get together right now! The only trouble is, I’m leaving for the airport in less than an hour … I’m going to call you when I get back (on Sunday) and find a time to visit. I can also help you find a local endo or new doctor if you need that – I have several older diabetic friends in the area who’ve been through the whole list and are always happy to make recommendations. Re. your husband … hoo boy. We can talk about that too. In the meantime, I’m so glad to see you’re reaching out to the TuDiabetes community – there’s so much love and support here, and lots of experience and good suggestions. You can also call me any time you need to talk – I just put my cell number on my Facebook for you. Take care and I will see you soon.

Hi Rachel - All this information and suggestions are surely overwhelming. But it goes to show you how supportive the D community is. I hope you are feeling and doing better ( and I hope your husband feels like a jerk).

All the advice you’ve been give is all very sound, and hopefully you can find a Dr. to lead you down the right path to health and happiness. D can feel like a lonely road at times, and everyone here has been down that road at least once. Here’s my little suggestion, in addition to what already has been posted. Find a good support group, and surround yourself with positive people. There is power in being positive (although it’s not always easy to be positive).

Please keep us posted. We are all very concerned on many levels.

Moby

Rachel, like many others on the forum, I’ve been following this discussion. I didn’t have anything constructive to add so didn’t post earlier. Heart failure is frightening. Please let us know how you are when you can. You have great support here. PS - You clearly don’t have that support at home and totally deserve it. So, demand nothing less! I know you would be there for your husband if he were the one plagued by illness. Take care!

Hey there honey, hope that they’re getting your health sorted, that’s so scary, I am glad you took the advice to go to the ER and I seriously hope that you are feeling a million times better.

Re; your husband kicking you in the back OMG!! I just want to give you a big hug, ‘cyber’ hugs will have to do. x x x

Hi everyone, I am very grateful to all of you. Thank you Sareln for saying my symptoms were troubling to you. That’s why I got up and took action. I am eternally grateful.

I got home late yesterday and my diagnosis is that I’ve got congestive heart failure due to a very leaky valve (hence all the swelling) I took phen-fen (some will remember it) back in my early 20’s, and it did a lot of damage. I was on it 6-8 months. I thought that wasn’t a long time, but the dr says that was a eternity. I am hugely relieved to know WHY I haven’t been functioning well or at all, I am running on a little over 40% heart function! So that’s why my house is a mess!

Anyway, I have a nice cardiologist, and he actually completely changed my diabetes med regimen around in the hospital. Boy does it feel good to have tightly controlled blood sugar! Anyway, I will post again soon. I wanted to make sure I showed my gratitude to all of you at Tudiabetes. I feel ready to be very proactive about my health! Thank you so much again. Rachel

i’m so glad that you’re ok sweetie. take care.