New pod failures

Very curious to see how my 4 boxes work..oh wait..im not allowed to use them :)

Jim: I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, as a former Systems Analyst, I'd try to make a case for all variables: insulin temp, how close to the PDM (new or old) is the POD (new or old), are they literally touching ? I can only relate that, as a newbie with a new PDM and POD (s), I have not had any occulsions or failures in the 5 weeks I have been using the system (my first pump). Present the facts to Insulet to help them determine if it is a failure of manufacturing, shipping, or implementation. I have had 'failure to communicate' when the POD/PDM were not touching, moved them closer and the problem resolved.
Suzanne

The smaller size is nice, but in the one pod that I have worn until expiration, it wasn't that big a difference. I had that one on the back of my upper arm, and I just kind of forget about them there anyway. I felt it a few times, and while it does feel smaller, I can't say it felt a whole lot different. On my stomach, I'm sure it would have been a little less obtrusive than the original size. The smaller form might also open up some new territory for me, like maybe my back.

I had another go at a new pod last night and yet another priming failure. I had this one touching the PDM, room temperature insulin, etc. I called Insulet today. The support person suggested I leave the pod in the tray while filling and priming, with the tray to the right of the PDM. I guess I'll try this next time (I went back to an old pod after the failure). I don't know if this was one of the original box that I have been using or a replacement they sent because I threw the replacements into the same box. I think it was a replacement, but I'll have to check the lot number to be certain.

Are you on the new pods or the old?

I always have left it in the tray....thought that was the process from the beginning....

FWIW and from a person who uses the old pods, my reps held a training class a month or so ago and said that the new pods not only have to stay in the tray (like the old ones should), but they have to prime to the right of the pdm and have to touch it.

thats kind of a bummer about having to be to the right and touch...I always leave my pdm in my case..so the LEFT would have been easier to deal with .. haha..guess im just picking on things...i'll worry when/if I get my new PDM

Whew!

I mean, I already do all of that (Really!) with the old pods. I set down my PDM on a level surface (I made sure it's level using an actual level), open the new pod adhesive side up, making sure that even when I'm opening the package I keep it as level as possible. I set the opened pod down on the levelled surface on the right side of the PDM with the plastic tray touching the PDM. I carefully remove the syringe without disturbing the pod, then go through the pod changing process.

I've just kinda settled on this routine through trial and mishap. I haven't lost a single pod to priming issues since settling on the final routine.

Glad I won't to change too much once I get the new pods.

FHS...I have to ask...why? Some have blogged about holding the pod at different angles to 'let the air out', but this is the first I have heard about always keeping the pod level. Did you eliminate 'screamers'? Does this help with the air bubbles and/or pod change highs? Did you hear this procedure from customer support? Can I ask...why? :-)

Nevada - I can't answer for FHS, but I also keep it level and in it's tray and try not to disturb the pod much before it's actually primed. That's how I was trained. I've had 2 screamers during priming in the 2.5 years I've been on the pod. Not sure if there is a correlation or not? :)

I leave my pod in the tray until primed as well. Have had ZERO screamers in the past 6 months

Wow, I've never done it that way. I always take the pod out, hold it in my hand to fill and then set it back down to prime. I don't think I ever had a priming failure with the old pods. When I got these new pods from Edgepark, no one told me there was any procedural difference between the two. I have lifted every new pod out of the tray for filling and set them back on the counter to prime. I'll try leaving the next one in the tray. Maybe that will solve my issues.

Yeah I only lift up the pod out of the tray to get the syringe...but I fill it IN the tray and let it prime in the tray as well. Not sure it makes a huge difference..just has always worked for me.

With the new PDM and pods..I think its pretty annoying that they have to TOUCH and the pod has to be to the right of the PDM. I leave my PDM in the case when changing pods..so...left would have been better for that purpose.

Anyways..Guess i'll post in December or so when I come up with $1000 (or 660 through a distributor) to buy my PDM since its obvious its not going to come in the next month while im under warranty

Why? Hmmmm. I can't really answer exactly why in terms of pod mechanics, but my routine is just an amalgamation of everything I've read and have read about here and was told by my trainer, and some amount of superstition as well, I imagine.

Using the pod is one long learning experience and it all started with simply being able to get one up and functioning on a site. I had any number of screamers, priming errors, occlusions, you name it, over the first few months, to the tune of about a 20% failure rate.

Whether or not having the pod plastic touching the PDM, or holding the pod as level as I can during the changing process (but not during any other part of storage or portage) really make a difference, and why, is kind of irrelevant at this point because making that small change during the changing process at some time in the past was followed by a successful application, so it became part of my routine.

I'm just glad I tried all these other things before I went ahead and sacrificed that live chicken.

I fill mine outside the tray but do keep it level and untouched for priming purposes.
Here is one possible location why people do that (and why people touch the two together)...per the PDM manual: http://www.myomnipodtraining.com/pdf/OmniPod-User-Guide-UST400.pdf

Check page 49, Step 12, the bolded section.

Thanks everyone for all of the tips! I will be more diligent. Must be a new manual, because I saw some new info! I have a lot of post-pod change highs, so I found this interesting (also mentioned today on the blog).

1804-check.GIF (8.28 KB)

I got the new pods two Wednesdays ago and have had trouble. 5 problems. Two technical failures and three user failures (CS says). That is half the pods that I have tried. One occlusion, two auto shut downs, two fell off my body after only a few minutes wear. This is unacceptable since I have been on pumps since 1991 and have had very few problems with any pump. I went back to my old pump after three failures in a row this morning. Calling Dr. tomorrow to see what I can do about changing pumps. Now I need to start the search over again. The pod is great when it works, but I cannot afford (time and money) the frustration of this many failures.

Still very anxious to see what happens on my 4 boxes I received 2 fridays ago..

Still missing my new PDM due to insulet's incompetence

I still have not received the new pods. I keep getting told different times that I will receive them and getting very irritated by this. I'm actually looking at a different pump that does micro dosing as this one if I adjust it just a tiny amount it sends me too high or too low.