New restrictions for BCBS michigan

Has anyone experienced BCBS now restricting the test strips to 7.05 times per day. I can only get 12 boxes every 85 days, I use 10 per day. I used to be able to send a letter from my Doctor and a log showing I test 10 times per day and getting approval for this. I’m now being told that doesn’t matter what, who or how I send information, they will NOT, under any circumstance, provide for testing over this amount.
I was told by one person that going through our employers HR, BCBS rep and getting her to send a letter for pre approval will work but three others don’t have a clue about this.
Has anyone come across this and have you been able to get approval for testing more than their approved amount?
This is how I see it: Breakfast - test before and 2 hours after
Lunch-test before and two hours after
Exercise - test before and after
Feel like and afternoon snack?-test
Dinner-test before and two hours after
Heaven forbid, an evening snack! - test
Bedtime -test
Let’s see… this doesn’t include
feeling low middle of the night- test
not feeling right - test
Not sure and having to drive-test
sick and having extreme highs - test, test test
So on a good, normal day it comes to… hmmmm 10!
And since I can never feel my lows I HAVE to test.

1 Like

The following is from a July 2014 position statement published by the American Diabetes Association in Diabetes Care. Their recommendation for blood glucose testing frequency for adults appears on pages 2045-2046:

Patients with type 1 diabetes should perform SMBG [self monitoring of blood glucose] prior to meals and snacks, at a minimum, and at other times, including postprandially to assess insulin-to-carbohydrate ratios; at bed-time; midsleep; prior to, during, and/or after exercise; when they suspect low blood glucose; after treating low blood glucose until they have restored normo-glycemia; when correcting a high blood glucose level; prior to critical tasks such as driving; and at more frequent intervals during illness or stress.

Individuals with type 1 diabetes need to have unimpeded access to glucose test strips for blood glucose testing. Regardless of age, individuals may require 10 or more strips daily to monitor for hypoglycemia, assess insulin needs prior to eating, and determine if their blood glucose level is safe enough for overnight sleeping.

The report is entitled Type 1 Diabetes Through the Life Span: A Position Statement of the American Diabetes Association

Diabetes Care 2014;37:2034–2054 | DOI: 10.2337/dc14-1140
Jane L. Chiang,1 M. Sue Kirkman,2
34 LoriM.B.Laffel, andAnneL.Peters, on
behalf of the Type 1 Diabetes Sourcebook Authors*

I would ask BCBS why they will not cover the standard of care as published by the American Diabetes Association.

I showed this citation to my doctor when she wrote my prescription for Medicare to cover testing 14 times/day. Medicare policy for type I diabetics is for testing four times/day. Medicare now pays for 14 strips/day for me. These policies are insane!

1 Like

Wow, great info,thanks!
I will send this on to our bcbs rep and see what happens. She is amazing but changing insurance carrier policy isn’t that easy, that’s fantastic that you are able to get medicare to cover!! I’m not too far off and have been terrified about losing my omnipod and dexcom and wondered about the test strips. Healthcare DME providers want their money so they won’t just send you something without a guarantee that someone will pay for it!

Barbraann, I’m so sorry you are going through this. I’m growing tired of insurance companies interfering with health care. If you haven’t already done it, have your doctor contact them. Good luck.