Newly Diagnosed

Last month I was diagnosed with type 2 and also osteoporosis. I was put on Metformin and Altace and told to check my blood before breakfast and 2 hours after dinner. I went to a program at the local hospital run by the Joslin Clinic that was very helpful. This is the first time in my 63 years that I have been on medication and it is frightening. I have an appointment with an Endo next week. Is there anything else I could or should do?

Hi, Mia,
Welcome to tudiabetes! The first thing that you need to know is that if you keep your blood sugar below 140 at all times, you will drastically reduce your risk of developing complications. What kind of numbers are you getting now? If your numbers are higher than 140, you can either increase your medication or change your diet and level of exercise. I personally eat a lower carbohydrate diet because that helps me keep my blood glucose in the normal range. I would also recommend that you check your blood glucose more frequently than twice a day, at least at first, because many people have higher BG after breakfast than after dinner and if you don’t ever check, you might not find out. I also sometimes check mine one hour after eating, just to see how certain foods affect me. Good luck with the endo visit and let us know how things are going.

My morning fastings range from 100 to 124, 2 hours after dinner have gone up as high as 214 but mostly between 125 and 160. The dietician told me to have 45 gms. of carbs at each meal and 1 snack at 15. My problem is I have no appetite (so why am I 35 lbs. overweight?) As far as exercise, I have a fractured ankle so it’s hard for me to get out and walk. I will ask the endo about the medication, I may need more than 500 mg. per day. I must have found the right place for me, my daughter’s name is Libby. This was meant to be. Thank you.

My dietician told me to eat 45g carbs per meal but I found I couldn’t do that and still keep my blood sugar normal. You might want to experiment with less carbohydrate and see how that affects your 2 hour BG. (Blood glucose) If you reduce your carbohydrates, you might find that you will lose a few pounds as well as be better able to keep your BG in the right range, without upping your medication. Keep us posted!

Hi Libby and Lindsay!
I will try cutting my carbs down more. I have lost about 9 lbs. since I started taking classes at the hospital.
Our local hospital has a support group but it is at night, I will call and find out if there is anything during the day. I quess I will be in the “experimental” stage for a little while longer. Thanks for all your help.

Take care.
Mia