Newly Diagnosed

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in April. I was put into the hospital with keto acidosis. . My blood sugar was 388 going into the ICU. Now I am on lantus and humalog. I am 23 years old with depression and anxiety too. I have an amazing family but dealing with this is very hard. I graduated from college but barely. I missed two or three weeks of classes and fell behind in my senior seminar class and took an F in my other class. I also was doing an internship at the state capital and was not able to complete it. I will not get my diploma until I finish my paper. Before being diagnosed, I had every single symptom. I had lost 45 pounds during the last 8 months. Dry mouth and excessive water drinking was also a problem. I also had two major infections.

I wanted to connect with other young people who also have type one. So that is my story!

Yikes! I am not by any means a “young people” however it’s nice to meet you. Sorry to hear about your travails w/ school but I’m glad you’ll be able to graduate when you finish your paper!!

i was diagnosed in feb. in keto acidosis and my bg way 597 putting me in ICU for 5 days. it was my freshman year of college with my toughest classes on my plate to get into nursing school and had to withdrawl for the semester and i start summer school tomorrow morning to try and catch back up. i am just now getting the hang of everything so being a newbie too im know how you feel and i can try and help you as much as i can though i dont know as much as most people on here! im 19 now turning 20 in november!!

I don’t know anyone on here. We have similar stories. I feel we can help each other. I am turning 24 in November!

Not a youngen. not as old as some (cough acidrock). My T-1 DX messed up my school plans last year, but I am going back. I can sympathize with what you are going through and have dealt with depression,anxiety plus a few other issues over the years. If you need anything let me know. Was Dxed last Aug in the high 500s 3 days in the ICU. Stay strong drop me a line or drop a line to others on here we have many great listeners

Thank you so much. That means a lot.

Hi, and welcome! You’ll find many supportive people here.

I’m also a Type 1 diabetic, 25 years old. My diagnosis story isn’t like yours however, as I was diagnosed when I was 6 years old (quite a difference in terms of outlook and prior life experiences, etc!)

First of all ((HUGS)) second of all hang in there. I’m sorry you had to take the bad grade. I was in middle school when diagnosed, with a blood sugar of 984 but I’ve had a lot of high blood sugars to where it’s affected school to the point have having to take a bad grade because of the illness. Is there a way you can make up with it? If you present a 504, you can show medical problems, and your school/internship should honor this. I do believe that is something they have to follow. You can’t help being diagnosed with Diabetes. Hang in there! People are so helpful on this website and it will be a great tool for you.

Hi Susan,

You’re not the only person who is trying to connect with others around them who might have similar stories. Most of us here at TuD are here because we were looking for someone, anyone, who could sympathize and know what is happening in our lives. I’m sure you’ll find some people here who know exactly what you’re going through.

I to was diagnosed in college, but during my sophomore year. Fortunately, It was during the summer, so I was only taking one class at the time, but it messed up my work schedule and internship that I was doing.

I’m now a professor at the same university that I graduated from with my bachelor’s degree (after picking up a few other degrees from other institutions). I’ve worked with students who have gone through major life changes, crisis, illness, and other stuff that has thrown them off track. It sounds like you are working with your profs to get finished up, but if you haven’t already, make sure and tell them what is happening so that they can help you. If you were a good student in their courses before diagnosis, they will probably work with you to figure out something that lets you finish up without killing yourself in the process. Students don’t just go from high performers to failing classes without something major happening, and your professors should recognize that fact.

If there’s anything I can do to help you out as you finish up school, please feel free to let me know.

Brett

Why young people?? I was dx’ed aug./08 in ICU, DKA, bs of 672 and had all the good stuuf before also. LOLGood stuff if you call peeing like a horse every hour. Of couse now they changes my dx. to Type 1.5 and took me off insulin. Sorry I forgot, that time in ICU I was 52 !!!
Welcome to Tudiabetes also try Juvenation.org it’s a type 1 website like this one. I think you’ll like it

Hi Susan! I am also new to the site and to Diabetes (Type 1). I just turned 25 and I have a similar story. It’s been quite the rollercoaster these past couple of months as I’m sure you’re going through also. I was diagnosed in December and have been trying to stay positive about everything. I know what you mean about your family, mine have been very supportive also however I kept thinking it would be nice to have someone to talk to that has been going through the same thing as me.

I feel the same way.

i feel the same way! we will definantly help eachother out!! when is your birthday??

November 15th!

Hi Stephanie,

I don’t have Type 1 but my son does. He was 18 months old at diagnosis, just a baby. Can’t say I know how you feel but I sure as heck recognize that it’s a tough road you’re traveling. Be good to yourself – let go of the scholastic issues because right now, what matters is taking care of yourself and learning how to live with diabetes (which is far and away THE WORST ROOMMATE anyone ever had) and learning how to be healthy again. I’m not downplaying the value of your education but at this time, you have a different set of “classes” and “tests” to get through. If you haven’t already, explain the situation to your profs and school administrators, and don’t downplay it – this is a life-threatening emergency you’ve just been through, and you’ll need some time to TRULY recover (and learn to manage your D well) before you try to pick up your academics again. You can’t expect to offer up your best work if you’re in the middle of a diabetic crisis! Hopefully they’ll be understanding. I encourage you to check in with this site often so you can get tips & tricks & advice & support.

What were you studying, if I may ask?

Thanks for the support,and hearing about little ones being diagnosed breaks my heart. But I was taking my basics but the tougher ones being A&P2 chemistry history and psych and I am just taking chemistry over the summer to see how I do back in school my prof is very nice and is working with me pretty much letting me pick up where i left off when I got sick so we will see how it goes this summer before I plan my fall sechdule

Welcome to the D-OC!

You’ll find plenty of support here. Diabetes definitely plays a huge role in depression, so we understand how you feel. Just have to live day to day and dont be afraid to share how you feel.