First Year of College

Hi guys! I am 18 years old I have been a type 1 diabetic for seven years now. This fall I am going to the University of Vermont to major in nursing. I am super excited and scared and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on dealing with diabetes in college. I was also wondering how you can connect with other diabetics, because I never got that chance throughout high school. It would be awesome to be able to talk to someone about all the struggles we have to go through!

Hi! Sadly, I don't have any advice for you, but I am an 18 year old with type 1 who will be attending college this fall! So, we can share experiences with each other. I haven't had diabetes for very long (almost 2 months!) so any one else's advices would definitely be welcome as diabetes and college are both new to me.

Hey! First off congrats on getting into university for nursing. Uni life is honestly the most fun I've had. I'm personally heading into my final year but I've had diabetes through it all.
If you're living with roommates in rez (which I assume you are) the best thing to do is just explain everything you feel they need to know within the first week. Most people know someone who is diabetic but its rare for people to know what it truly involves. Your roommates will be around you more than anyone else so they may as well be educated about diabetes.
If you want to meet others at your school with diabetes just search facebook for interest groups, or use the schools student association to help you out.
Other than that, good luck and have fun!

Oh yeah and also its a good idea to set up exam accomodations so that you're allowed your glucometer and snack breaks as you need them.
My school just has me write my exams in a smaller room so I won't distract an entire exam hall if I had to stop for a juice box. Its also probably wayyy less awkward.

Yes that would be great! I am so sorry that you have to go through the stress being a newly diagnosed diabetic and going to college this fall :(. What college are you going to??

Thank you so much for the advice! :) haha but what is Uni life??

It would! Yeah, being newly diagnosed on top of all of the excitement/stress of going to college this fall isn't the greatest. I'm going to Christopher Newport University… a small(ish) school along the Southeastern coast of Virginia. By the way, that's awesome that you're going to school for nursing! I don't know what I'm going to major in yet but I'm thinking about something with languages or communications.

University life, lol.

Oh wow that's awesome, I love Virginia!! Again I am so sorry you have to go through that all, I can't even imagine what you have gone through. If you need anyone to talk to don't hesitate to message me!

hahaha wow that was a stupid question sorry!