Newly pregnant, sick with bronchitis, panicking about highs: am I over-reacting?

Thank you so so much, info like this is so helpful. I’m not sure what my future holds but i’m going to try and stick to the tips and do my best. I am going to try and see an MFM as well.

Also if you don’t mind me asking, how many carbs a day were you eating in the beginning? I’m around 120-130 and my dr is pushing for more.

I was told to eat 175 a day but in the beginning, I don’t think I was eating nearly as much since doing that would have increased the bg level well beyond the target. I remember eating about 15 g of carbs in the morning, 30 for lunch and dinner and 15 for snacks (2x a day) in the beginning before I was allowed to increase my insulin dose. After increased dose, I was able to eat 30 for breakfast, 45 each for lunch and dinner, and 15g carbs of snacks in between. If your long-acting insulin is not sufficient to reach the target, you may want to ask for a bolus one, too. And see a dietitian!

1 Like

Oh and I highly recommend walking. Walking is really a great way to reduce your post meal bg. You don’t have to go on a long walk. Just remember to go on walks ~15 min after finishing your meal. I used to go on 20 min+ walk after lunch and dinner. Interestingly, walking after dinner not only improved my post meal numbers, it improved my fasting number, too.

1 Like

First off, take a deep breath! You’ve got this! You have a great medical team, and at your next check in, these questions should be talked about. They work for you and need to help with your fears. And every mother has fears!
I also wigged out whenever I had a high and beat myself up about it. Not good and not smart. Being pregnant is enough of a worry, adding blood sugar ups and downs, just didn’t help.
Ok, here is where that deep breath comes in. I don’t talk much about this as it still hurts and yes I still feel guilty. I did lose a baby between my two due to a neural tube defect. At 24 weeks, I had an ultrasound which showed out baby’s brain was growing outside the head. We were devastated. And I blamed myself because I had diabetes. Even after talking with all the doctors and genetic counselors, I still blamed myself. It took a very long time to take what they were saying to heart. Bad things happen even when you do everything right. My blood sugar control was great, so that wasn’t the problem. There was nothing I did that caused it. It just ended up that way.
I will say I was using a different team due to insurance changes so I wasn’t watched as closely as I was with the first. And it sounds like your team is much better than the one I had with my second.
After a few years of beating myself up and suffering from loads of guilt, we decided to try again. Thankfully was able to go back to my first team and with all the tests and control, we had another beautiful baby. I call my son, my miracle baby because I probably would not have had him if we had completed that second pregnancy. So as bad as it was, I have my little girl and my little boy and an horrible experience that has given me a different outlook on life.
So, please don’t take this as another worry. A blood sugar that is out of range for a few hours or even a day or so, is not a major issue. Just do your best to bring it back into line. I mean think of those brave women who had beautiful babies before there was blood testing, or pumps or CGMS.
You’ve got this and keep the lines of communication open with your medical team.
I know I am a little out of touch with the more up to date dealings with diabetes and pregnancy, but ask away with any questions or concerns!:heart:

2 Likes

Thank you SO MUCH for this response…it’s really reassuring even with the scary story (and I’m sorry you experienced that loss!)