No bolus

okk. well. i think i can deff help you with this cause im 14.
sometimes i dont bolus cause well i honestly forget. and my parents always say its an excuse and its rlly not! like i honestly forget. when no on else around you is doing it its just kinda slips your mind. and then being mad. haha that happens to me all the time. just leave me the hell alone!! like i dont wanna have to deal with this. i wanna go on the computer talk about guys and normal stuff i dont wanna write down numbers or worry about carb counting. and you can tell me to “take charge” but i dont want to! i have enuff stress already. believe it or not, 13 year old have stress. and idk what kinda relationship you have with your daughter but my mom doesnt kno about half my stress and why i dont wanna do it. and i think you just have to ask yourself, if i was 13 would i want to do this. and I KNO your first instinct would be like i would step up and take this crap and deal with it. and no you prolly wouldnt. youd want to do what everyone else is doing.

honestly you could talk to any counsler; but unless they had diabetes and remember 13 they arent gunna get it. so honestly its a phase. im starting to grow out of it. i can see a change in patterns.
so just hang in there cause she’ll out grow it.
hope i helped. [didnt mean to sound mean or anything im just trtying to tell it from my point of view]

peaceeeeee =]

All I can add is to make sure you are really praising her for any and every little thing. I was diagnosed in January and I’m 20, but I know that when my doctor told me how good I was doing, it was a great feeling and really encouraged me to keep working. When I was diagnosed I went into the hospital with an A1c of 12+. I sent my BG’s into my doctor every 2 weeks for the first 2 months and then went back after 3 months and was at 5.6. My last A1c was 5.5. I know I have my doctor to thank for this, he is always so, so encouraging and enthusiastic about me doing well. It’s just a great feeling to hear that praise.

Praise is key with diabetes.

She’s been doing a LOT better lately. I think it’s because I have been trying hard to not fuss at her about it and just talk to her about how she’s feeling. She’s starting to connect feeling good and being in proud of herself with checking her blood sugar, bolusing at meals/snacks as well as doing well in school and having fun with her friends.

Thanks, Erin. It helps to see a teen’s perspective. I cannot imagine what she’s dealing with (even without diabetes). Life is so different now for kids than it was when I was her age (26 years ago).

Peyton and Karen, I agree. Praise is so important.

Hi,
My son Zach is 11 1/2 diagnosed with Type 1 10 months ago. He ‘embraced’ his new reality and was diligent about glucose testing, covering and correcting up until around 2 weeks ago. I just discovered he has been lying about checking his BG, then applying his judgement as to how much insulin to use to correct and/or cover. I just went to download his numbers onto paper last night and discovered the ugly truth about his lying. He insisted he had been testing and the monitor must be broken. Not quite believing this, I set up a brand new meter to do testing with.
At 3:00 am he woke us to say he was low and self reported a reading of 69. So we gave him a quick sugar, carb/protein and returned to bed. This morning when I asked what his reading was he said 102. I went to the monitor to take a look and found that the reading was not 102, but 302. Further Q&A led to finding out he hadn’t tested a low in the middle of the night, had just felt symptoms of a low and made up the number of 69. Well, at least it is understandable why his waking BG number would be high as essentially we treated a low that may or may not have been present.

I am saddened and confused by his deception about his diabetes numbers and treatment. His father and I are actively involved with his treatment, but encourage his independence also. I now feel that he cannot be trusted and must be managed a lot closer. He wants to know what he can do to regain our trust. I don’t know that I will ever really trust him again on this subject. The discussions have been had about the reality of non/mis-treatment of the disease. He insists he understands the severity and seriousness of it all…however, his actions don’t support the words.

Any advice from parents of kids in this age range with fairly recent diagnoses?
This is Suzanne, the Mom posting under my husband’s (Joel) sign-up

Hi Suzanne,
My 12 yr old daughter was dx almost 2 yrs ago (December 18, 2006). It’s a challenge. I know the kids want to be like everyone else and not have to worry about their blood sugar and insulin all the time… and it’s not fair… it just is what it is.

I’m learning to let this be J’s disease, to treat her with respect when she makes poor choices, love her and support her while encouraging her to make good choices. Ultimately, as hard as it is, I have to let go because it’s not my disease, not my choice, not my life. I’m hoping that J. will continue to talk to me (well, most of the time, at least… she is a pre-teen after all), that she will continue to want to feel good and to learn from poor choices.

It’s hard to learn to trust after “deceit” from a child, especially when we know how it could impact their body in the future, isn’t it? I learned from many here who have had type I diabetes for many years that fussing, yelling, worrying constantly or trying to control my child’s choices is not the answer to helping her learn to manage her disease.