No Endo; Really Bad Medical Advice

This reminds me of how I had to fight for Lantus on my last hospital stay after a surgery. Hopefully they'll really let you keep your pump on. I had to agree to a half dose but it was fine.

I'm having another surgery next wed so hoping for the best on not having lantus issues this time, it should be outpatient but ya never know.

There is no reason to have to disconnect from the pump at all -- Zoe is right. Before surgery I even had a nurse show me I could feed it through and put it in the pocket in the front of the hospital gown so they could really see it before the procedure and keep an eye on it. They even debated letting me keep my Dexcom with me -- that I nixed myself and gave to my husband to hold because I didn't want to lose the thing. And perhaps I'm just a stubborn and bad patient. If I thought they were going to make me disconnect, I would wear it as long as I could and then hand it off to a family member. I would then immediately rehook it after the surgery. They won't even know you did it.

I remembering "discussing" the policy about "surrender" your pump with the Endo who wrote it. His strong doubts that a person with type 1 can manage their own diabetes while in hospital was insulting and frustrating. Sometimes I think "medical people" think that once we are Dx'd with diabetes we lose a majority of our active brain cells. His main argument was the hospital RN;s couldn't handle using the pump. I tried it out on some nurse friends. I had them do a fingerstick and bolus for me using the pump. They found it a lot easier than trying to do the math for a correction and/or number of carbs. And besides think of those sophisticated machines they deal with every day all day. Unfortunately, my health plan has it's own hospital and I can't go elsewhere.

I had gallbladder surgery too...that's interesting. I only was getting deprived of the lantus because the nurse thought I'd go into a coma........ okay nurse , you act like you know me when I know how my body works, that's fine.

That's crazy though, they told me half dose at the very least. Before I got transferred to the post op recovery floor I was getting like just 2 units less than normal and while I was waking up in the 40's I'd come back up FAST with any sort of treatment and I CONSTANTLY wonder if the hospital's meter was wrong because I felt fine at 41 mg/dL and while I have a bit of hypo insensitivity I've never been in the 40's before I think I would of felt like I was hit by a truck going 1000 mph.

Had my surgery yesterday morning. Checked in with BG at 115 after surgery BG 131. My pump stayed hooked up to me during surgery. I was so stressed out the morning of surgery that when I checked in and they checked my BP it was 200/95. after I found out they were leaving me on my pump then it went down in the normal range. I arrived at the hospital 0600 and was out of there at 1030. All I have to do now is heal up and then I can get back to swimming and unicycling.

That's great news! Congrats for getting through it all with the pump.

Congratulations, well done and I hope you heal quickly.