Pump and surgery

Does anyone know where I can find research about keeping insulin pump on during surgery? I am trying to find research to take into my orthopedist so that I can keep my pump on during my surgery. I am tired of them never having insulin protocol on me on hand and tired of fighting high blood sugars after surgery and the nurses not doing anything in the recovery room.

Can you talk with your endo about this? Is there any way he/she can discuss this with the orthopedist?

Unfortunately I do not have an Endo as the closest one is almost 2 hours away. My GP takes care of my diabetes and he is the one that put me on the pump. He admits I know more about diabetes than he does. I have found info on Mayo and Joslin’s clinics websites I am going to print out. My CDE suggested I go to ADA’s website to see if they have any research on the subject. My CDE says she doesn’t see where there should be a problem with keeping it on. It is already biomedical certified and I am willing to write down all instructions on how to use it.

I’ve had two surgeries since I’ve been on the pump. I don’t know if they had protocol or not. I just told them I was wearing it, and I wore it. They checked my BG before I went in, and I’m sure during and before I woke up. It never got low that I knew of, but if it had, I’m sure they would have just given me a little IV glucose since I was already hooked up. If your basal rates are good, it’s unlikely you’d have any wild fluctuations needing correction, especially since it will have been hours since you last ate.

My sugars are stable without eating on my basal rates so I am not worried about that but I do know that the stress of the surgery sky rockets my sugar after.

You might let them know this and then tell them that YOU will take care of the high blood sugars upon waking up. I know it sucks to have the highs, but they most of the time DON’T know what they are doing, and if it were me, I’d rather run high for a while and take care of it when I was able.

I wore mine when I had my tonsils out a few years ago. I just discussed it with the ENT and he was fine with it. I would ask what medications you will be on and maybe be able to find out how those may affect your blood sugars.

Agreed.

I think what I am going to do is sit down this weekend and write out complete instructions on how to run the pump, how to tell what my blood sugar is doing with the CGMS. How much insulin to give me starting at what numbers as well as have a statement from my CDE and my doctor about my ability to control my blood sugar and why it is important for me to have the pump on during surgery. I am also going to set up an appointment to meet anesthia before surgery and hand them the information and basically give them no choice with me keeping it on.

Have they told you you can’t wear it or given you a hard time? I also wore my CGM during my last surgery. No one said anything about it either way. Maybe I’m lucky that no one has ever given me grief or questioned my ability to manage my own BG’s? I was concerned about my BG’s during the surgeries I had back when I was on injections, but not so much when I was pumping.

I have only had one surgery since I got my pump and they let me wear the pump up until the pre op room and then took it off. Afterwards my sugar was 350 and the nurses refused to give me insulin or my pump back. Of course I am going to have surgery at a different hospital this time, but I want to cover all my bases and be able to keep it on. The medical professionals in my area are morons when it comes to insulin pump and diabetes. I am actually the only person in my city on the CGMS.

That last experience sounds infuriating. I can’t stand it when nurses think they know better than those of us who live with this. It’s usually nurses who don’t deal with diabetes on a regular basis too. All medical facilities should have better protocols and training for working with us to do what’s best, not working against us. I really hope you don’t encounter any issues like that at this other facility.

Hey! Cody, I just had planter faclitis. foot surgery. I just talked it over with cde and confirm with endo. Did not eat after 1200pm. Kept checking till i went in.Also when you go for pre testing ask to talk to ansiogist. Every thing was fine. Last time last year i was on mdis. things went well. When are you supposed to go? What are you having done? Take care you will be fine.

I have to have a bone spur removed off my toe on my left foot. It is going to be done Friday at Parkway Medical. The same hospital that let me go into a coma from a low blood sugar due to not listening to me. The other hospital in town just lets me quit breathing after surgery so it is damned if I do, damned if I don’t. That surgery is being done outpatient under iv sedation. My podiatrist said as far as he was concerned pump and cgms could stay on, but it is the anesthiologist decision. I have talked to the hospital and they don’t have any scheduled for any pre-op labs so I am going to call this week and tell them I need to meet with anesthia, to discuss my diabetic care. The surgery on my right foot has to be done by my orthopedist. I have a bone spur underneath my achilles tendon so they have to go in detach the tendon, and clean out the spur and then reattach it. This surgeon normally does outpatient surgery at an outpatient surgery center here locally. I have had 3 surgeries there and have had no problems other than blood sugar. They always have pre op labs ordered for me so I will ask them if I can meet with anesthia as well and discuss my pump with them. I am doing everything I can to fight to keep my pump on this time.