Nooo my pump

Just got out of the doc she blames my infection and is giving me a z pack and something else it will possibly help im hoping it does

Good luck. I hope it works. Z pack is a fairly short course so you should find out pretty quick if this is the problem. Make sure to test a whole lot and drink tons of water.

Let us know how this turns out.

Good, hope it works!

We are having the same issue. The basal is fine, but the insulin sometimes takes forever to hit the bloodstream. I was told that it may be where we have the inset - on the butt. I guess the site is important to the speed of absorption.

Andrew, Animas just recalled some reservoirs. Lot #s are B201575, B201576, B201581, B201582 and B201583. Maybe this is your problem?

Again??? I dont see any new recalls, just ones from March?

I posted this in general discussions yesterday.

(Fromthis page.)

Important Message: Animas Corporation has announced that some of the 2 mL insulin cartridges shipped between November 30, 2010 and January 4, 2011 can leak insulin, resulting in the delivery of less insulin than intended.

If the cartridge has a leak the pump may not alarm if there is an occlusion in the infusion set.

The manufacturer is asking distributors to check supplies immediately and report affected cartridges to Animas Corporation because under-delivery of insulin can cause serious injury or death. Animas will notify customers directly and provide them with a free replacement supply of new cartridges as well as instructions for returning their affected supply.

The lot numbers affected by this recall are:

B201575
B201576
B201581
B201582
B201583
The lot number can be found on the side panel of the cartridge box and on the packaging of each individual cartridge next to the symbol LOT.

There is not a problem with the pump. Leaking of insulin from the cartridge will not damage the pump.

That is the old announcement from March no???
There isnt a new recall that I can see.

Not sure if it’s the same one Laura, that’s why I posted it.

I’m pretty sure it is, as I dont see any new info or press releases.
It is a good reminder however.

mine were shipped in april if i remember right and my numbers are alot better now it seems the antibiotic really helped though i still notice highs on my days off when i have a profile with higher basals it still likes to run high even if i dont eat alot

You know Andrew, this really does seem to be a site issue and a sensitivity issue. I know you’ve changed out the inset a few times but I’m curious to know if you’re using a different part of your body. When I went from shots to the pump my sensitivity when WAY DOWN I started to use far less insulin because the absorption rate had changed. So now every time I change my inset I rotate sites and have even considered using my back and legs are possible future sites. I used to have to take Metformin as well as my insulin because my resistance was so high. There were times I had to go to the ER because nothing I could do at home would get my blood sugar down. I’d climb into the 500’s and take A LOT of insulin and still nothing. It’s frustrating when that happens and to be honest scary. But each time it had to do with my resistance being a factor, mostly from stress, illness or just because I was over weight. So perhaps those are a few things you might want to check out before you blame the poor pump.
Praying For You,
Blessed Diabetic

Yea well i work up to a 286 and usually when i do a correction bolus it takes 4-5 hours and alot of times stays high but i took a injection of 8 units which is what it called for because i had 60 units for breakfast and in less then 90 minutes it was beeping low and thats why i think its the pump because when im sitting around at home im on my home profile which has a much bigger increased basal and it still tends to wanna run high so i just dont know

Andrew, 60 units for breakfast? What did you eat? What is your I:C ratio?

greek yogurt and a small bowl of puffed wheat it varies but it was 1 unit for 17 carbs

Maybe it IS the pump? Usually if the piston of the pump has a problem the pump will shut down so I am doubtful, but you never know. With these types of issues and considering an injection helps where the pump will not I really think infusion sets. Maybe you are have some kind of reaction where the cannula is (inside you) that makes the absorption poor and it isn’t apparant on the outside where you could see it. You might see if you can try the metal infusion sets and see if they help?

i never had an issue with it until lately once again why im thinking it might be the pump but the animas lady said theres nothing wrong with it but im not entirely sure

So just to clarify… you took 60u of insulin for greek yogurt and puffed wheat at 1:17?

Math doesn’t work out. I thought he said he took 8 units of insulin for 60 units(which I believe he meant carbs). Even if I’m right, dividing 60 by 17 doesn’t equal 8 units. 8 units at 1:17 would mean he ate 136 gm of carbs…right?