Nuretin as an eye supplement?

Had my annual ophthalmologist appt yesterday. I’m a T1D since 1991 and although well-controlled, have some mild retinopathy at the edges of both retinas. (This has been going on for a while, it wasn’t new news yesterday.) Anyway, Eye Doc recommended I look into Nuretin (Nuretin Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD), an OTC high-dose Omega-3 supplement, as a way to slow my retinopathy progression (“But talk with your diabetes team about it, in some people it can act as a blood thinner, they might advise against it…”)

I’ve been googling around tonight for some info on this drug, but it mostly comes back with promotion/sales-y pieces on different eye docs’ pages, or Amazon (which I don’t trust for medical advice) OR academic info related to T2. I will be reaching out to my diabetes team but thought I’d also post here. Any T1s take Nuretin to slow retinopathy? If so, good/bad experiences? Would you recommend?

Nuretin contains 2 Omega 3 fatty acids, 1,000mg of DHA & 200mg of EPA. Both have shown to improve and protect retina function.

I have been taking another Omega 3 prescription drug called icosapent ethyl (Vascepa) with 4g of EPA.

I had a bit of retinopathy in my right eye before my cardiologist put me on icosapent ethyl to decrease high triglycerides. Over time the retinopathy decreased to nearly invisible. I did not make any correlation to the EPA until reading the following paper this morning, Omega-3 fatty acids in prevention of diabetic retinopathy | Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology | Oxford Academic

I thought my going on MDI/Tandem pump with better control was responsible when maybe it was the EPA or maybe both.

3 Likes

Another note is your sugars might improve with the Omega 3 as well. I find I am slightly more insulin sensitive when it’s on board.

1 Like