Oldest patient living with diabetes and treated by Dr. Banting passed away in UK

Sheila Thorn, who was born in Kamloops, B.C., and spent the first seven years of her life in this country, was described by the British health advocacy group Diabetes U.K. as "the longest surviving insulin-dependent person with diabetes in the world."
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Early+patient+insulin+discoverer+Banting+dies/6344366/story.html

That's a great story, Nell. Thanks for posting this!

I must differ with Sheila Thorn's last bit of advice, though: "do exactly what your diabetes physician tells you to do." As we can see, again and again on this forum, too many physicians don't have up to date advice for their diabetic patients. It's important for us to know as much as possible about our condition and how to manage it to maintain healthy BG levels and avoid complications.

Thanks Nel, great story.

Hi Ann , yesterday at our local coffee shop , while reading the Vancouver Sun, Hubby noticed the article first...Kamloops her place of birth only aout 100 k from here :) . I think the lady did remarkably well till age 81 ; glad to read, that support system Mr. Thorn was mentioned too. Rest in Peace Dear Lady .

I do wonder about the Media reporting : re her Physician for instance ...and then I recall my Mom( borne in 1904 ) looking up to our family Doc. and accepting most everything as gospel , while I, 36 younger than her questioned his gospel . So it may be an age thing ?
Glass syringes available till late 2000 as in having to boil them and re-use ?? ...I should google ?? Quote " I continued to use these same old-fashioned syringes up until about five years ago."...
I am learning !
jrtpup...Thank you too for your comment !
Has anyone one else , esp across the Pond read anything ???