OLE Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb Tortilla Wraps

Anybody tried the OLE Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb Tortilla Wraps?? (lol long name!)
I feed them to my little boy who loves cheese quesadillas and I would love to actually eat a burrito but I am unsure of how to bolus for something like this…
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Tortilla (45g)

Amount per Serving
Calories 71 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 234mg 10%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
Sugars 0g
Protein 8g 16%
Vitamin A0%
Vitamin C0%
Calcium6%
Iron4%

Anybody tried these? I would love to use these for my burritos but how in the world would you bolus for them? I’m afraid of overbolusing because they are only 5 carbs but have 12g of fiber.

Ingredients:
Water, whole wheat flour, enriched bleached flour, virgin olive oil, oat fiber, soy protein, cellulose fiber, wheat gluten, baking powder, fumaric acid, sodium acid, pyrophosphate, salt, monocalcium phosphate, modified wheat protein, yeast, cmc, gum, mono and diglycerides, lecithinm sorbic acid, enzymes.

Wait, something must be wrong? Total carb can’t be lower than fiber?

I use Joseph’s tortillas, probably similar. I usually only bolus for non-fiber carbs, plus the other carbs (probably 25-40) in the meal and protein. So far that’s worked for me. I don’t know if the answer from a true low carber would be different…

haven’t tried them but this site says it’s 12G carbs and 12G fiber

http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=1182281

let me know how it goes cause i love quesidilla and burritos but tortilla give a huge spike

Sounds like these things suck the glucose right out of the bloodstream. If you ate too many, you would probably go hypo. I’ve not used these, but I use similar. I bet the total carbs is in error and it really is net carbs (total - fiber).

And just cause you are so nice, here is my recipe using a similar 8" low carb tortillas

Man Size Beef, Cheese and Onion Enchiladas

2 lbs hamburger

2 packs taco seasoning

8 10" low carb tortillas

1/2 c water

1/2 lb cheddar cheese

2 large onions, diced

1 can low carb enchilada sauce (almost all are low carb)

Seasoning to taste

Brown and drain crumbled hamburger, add taco seasoning and recommended water (check the taco seasoning pack). Cook according to seasoning directions. Grate cheese into a large bowl. Fill each tortilla with a generous helping of beef, onions and cheese. Try to use about 2/3 of the cheese, leaving a generous amount for topping. I’ll often use more than a 1/2 lb. Wrap tightly and pack into 9x14 pan. Make sure the ends of the enchiladas are snug. Eight man sized enchilladas fit snugly in my pan. Pour and spread enchilada sauce on top. Add additional seasoning if you wish (ie. chili powder) and then spread the remainin cheese on top. Bake at 325 degrees for a half hour. Serve immediately.

By my count, each enchilada has like 22g of carbs, 12 g of fiber and 38 g of protein.

ps. My 16 year old son can eat two.
pps. Oops, did I forget the fat. Yes there is fat in them thar enchiladas, but I won’t say how much.

There are a few different ones…but the one I’m talking about have 5g carbs and 12g fiber
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/ole-mexican-foods/extreme-wellness-high-fiber-low-carb/
I would let you know but I am unsure of how to bolus for them so I can actually eat them lol

YUM!! Sounds delicious BCS! I’ll def have to give em a try, thanks for the recipe!!

I know, thats what I said!! Thats why I was askin if anyone has tried em!
Oh okay so if theres a lot of fiber in the carb you do not bolus for them??

I use these almost daily. I was hesitant as well, at first. I have found that, at least for me, I can eliminate all 12g of fiber and only have to bolus for the other 5g of net carbs.

These are packaged in Mexico, I believe, and don’t label their products in the same way we do. Most other countries do not include fiber as a carbohydrate!

Really!? Awesome! Thanks Kari! So you only bolus for 5 carbs per tortilla right??
With the high fiber content do you bolus for these then wait 15 minutes, eat right away or bolus when you are done eating??

I bolus and then eat. But I usually have other carby things in my meal too, so I’m not hitting a low because of the fiber slowing things down too much. If you are not eating many other carbs in the meal, you might want to eat then bolus. That fiber is certainly going to slow things down quite a bit.

If you’re worried about going low, I would try using the 5g (assuming it might the net carbs) then test afterwards in increments to see the effect. Depending on the number you can adjust the insulin. Personally, I would would inject and then eat (assuming you’re not eating it plain) since while the fiber (plus fat/protein) might slow digestion, insulin absorption is not that fast either.

Gotcha it’s the only carbs I will be eating so I will prob bolus after, Thanks Kari!

True, Thanks for the reply!

So that means the 5g is the net carb?? What does that mean for us Americans? haha

I will be making a taco salad instead and testing these babies out on a weekend when I can eat it for lunch and just do a correction bolus if needed later in the day, I’ll let ya know how it goes…hope they workout well because they are huge and very yummy (I’ve eaten them in past)

Since we were told to subtract anything over 5 grams of fiber, you are going into the negatives here :). give him 1 and a half and don’t bolus anything. Are you sure these are the “total” carbs and not the “net” carbs? Re net carbs, Type 1s are supposed to bolus for the TOTAL grams of carbs minus the fiber. Ignore the “net” label. Still, I would watch carefully after bolusing because of this claim. But I know there are some very low carb tortillas out there somewhere. Let me know how these taste, cause if they are good, I’ll make tortilla chips out of em… Can’t get better than zero grams :slight_smile:

I recently made homemade (super thin crust) pizzas with these! Soooo yummy and easy and super super low carb. Still had to use an extended bolus, because of the fat and protein in the cheese and pepperoni. But considering the whole pizza was about 15g of carbs (crust and sauce), it was worth it!

Uhhh that sounds DELICIOUS!!! What a great idea! Did you put a few of them together for the crust or use just one? Just wonderin how you got to 15 carbs as pizza sauce is usually only about 5. How many carbs do you count the tortillas as?

These are very tasty and I believe the 5 may be the net carbs because as someone on here said they are made in Mexico so they do not have the same FDA guidelines for listing nutrition info and to assume the 5 carbs as net. Try them and let me know how it goes!