November is Recipe Share Month!

Continuing the discussion from October is Poetry Month on TuDiabetes!:

Here comes the holiday season! Let’s prepare here on TuDiabetes by sharing our favorite D-friendly recipes, for special holiday meals and daily dining as well. Do you know how to make a delicious, low sugar pumpkin pie? Matzoball soup that goes easy on the BG? Great D-friendly everyday favorites? Share your secrets in the thread below!

1 Like

Here is my first contribution. It celebrates what I just prepared this morning.

##Brian’s Easy Low Carb Competition Style Chili

2 pounds of hamburger
2 pounds ground sausage
1 14 oz cans of dice tomatoes
1 14 oz can of whole peeled plum tomatoes each cut in half
5 cloves of garlic chopped
2 cups of chicken or beef broth
4 onions chopped
1 cup of chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne (use more or less depending on taste)
2 tbs cumin
2 tbs masa flour

Brown meat and drain. Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker except for 1/2 cup chili powder and masa flour. Place cooker on high heat for 4-6 hours. 1 hour before serving add last 1/2 cup of chili powder. Mix masa flower with 1/4 cup water and mix into chili. Let rest and cool for 1/2 hour before serving.

This makes about 16 good servings and for each serving contains 400 calories, 22g of fat, 19g of carbs, 5 g fiber and 30 g of protein.

2 Likes

1 cup of chili powder sounds like a lot, can you tell us what brand you used? my preference is Penzey’s Medium

1 Like

I use McCormicks which I get at Costco in a 20oz container. There is a lot of variation in chili powder and McCormicks is on the mild side. Also the slow cooker causes many flavors to dull over time which happens with many chili spices. This is why the chili powder is split into two. Competition chili recipes have two, three or even four sequences where you add spices through the cooking. And of course it is also true that I like my food on the spicy side. Despite that, my wife and son are hoping I didn’t overspice the chili.

Soon I’ll add my ice cream recipe so that anyone having overheating problems with my chili have something to cool them off.

2 Likes

oh I forgot about the slow cooker mellowing out spices over time, so it makes sense. here’s my chili recipe, which came in second last year at the NJ State Fair

I only use one can of kidney beans to save carbs

1 Like

You didn’t tell us you were a chili competition superstar. The recipe you gave was certainly lighter on chili powder but there was a lot of crushed red pepper. I imagine that gives a different flavor profile.

ps. And true competition chili doesn’t have beans.

1 Like

I don’t eat meat now but I used to, and from my meat-eating days this looks delicious :yum:

Thank you so much for starting a new recipe share! I’m looking for inspiration!

Best wishes to all!

marty1492

1 Like

Here are several of my faves that I had posted elsewhere. Need to find my holiday stuffing recipe, though—'Tis the season, after all!..These exchanges are always fun…

3 Likes

Showing this to my sweetie who loves a good chili recipe. He calls my old family recipe for chili “Minnesota Chili”----bland from the 50s. But at least it doesn’t incorporate cream of mushroom soup, miracle whip, velveeta or spam—those other Midwestern staples from the 50s!—LOL

2 Likes

Chicken Soup for the Soul

Carcase from roast chicken or turkey, or wings or drumsticks
cover with water and bring to boil, simmer slowly for about an hour and a half.
Turn heat off and fish out bones, sometimes it is best to strain this to make sure you have all the bones.
Add onion, carrot, celery sticks, capsicum, tomatoes, herbs, whatever other vegetables you like to eat to the stock and simmer for about half an hour until vegetables are cooked. Add seasoning. You can serve as is or put through your blender to disguise the vegetable content. Strip any meat off the bones, cut into neat pieces and add to the soup.

This is a very rough and ready old fashioned recipe which is still delicious. I am going to miss this soup in the warmer months ahead here in Australia.

In case you get tired of turkey I have a really good stuffed chicken recipe that is very popular on my blog. It’s pretty much carb less so not really any BG impact.

You need:
1 Chicken breast
1 oz. (28 g) Low-fat mozzarella
1 Artichoke heart (canned)
1 tsp. Chopped sundried tomato
5 Large basil leaves
1 Garlic clove
Pepper
Garlic powder
Curry powder
Paprika
Toothpicks

Full recipe, pictures and instructions here:

1 Like

I wrote up a blog last week about a low carb dish using spaghetti squash … called Low Carb Alfredo Carbonara (without the pasta) - you can find it at this link - or if you object to my posting my blog link - I will remove this post - and just put down the recipe without my silly words that go with it (sorry I forget what the rules are here at Tudiabetes … been away for abit … so don’t want to step on anyone’s toes and rock the boat) - The Roller Coaster Ride of Diabetes!!!: Low Carb Alfredo Carbonara

1 Like

In celebration of the very important Jewish holiday of Hanukkah I am giving you you my recipe for Cheese Latkes. Latkes are a traditional Jewish food served during both Hanukkah and Passover. You don’t have to be Jewish to enjoy them. I would note that most recipes for Latkes are synonymous with potato pancakes and are pretty darn high carb. It is my position that since potatoes are a new world food, truly traditional latkes must be made from cheese. My recipe is is based on one from Tory Avey.

Brian’s Low Carb Cheese Latkes

1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
4 eggs
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter and/or vegetable oil for frying (I clarify the butter and use a butter/oil mixture)

Mix cheese, eggs, flour, melted butter, sugar and vanilla in a food processor

In a heavy griddle, heat oil (or butter) and cook the latkes similar to how you would cook pancakes, usually about 4-5 minutes

The estimated carb content for the entire batch is 85g, about 35g of which comes from the flour. You could readily substitute for the flour and get it even lower, but as written, this ends up with about 10g carbs for 2-3 latkes. Also, you could substitute for the sugar, but actually I found that the sugar made a big difference in how well the latkes fried, becoming caramelized and forming a crispy crust, hence I keep the sugar. If you really want low carb, substitute almond meal for the flour and splenda for the sugar.

Early Chag Sameach

1 Like

##Brian’s Mediterranean Cucumber, Onion and Tomato Salad

1 Large English hothouse cucumbers peeled and sliced thinly
1/2 yellow or red onion sliced thinly
1 large tomato cut into ½ inch cubes
1/2 cup assorted olives (or olives du jour, I like Kalamata)
3-4 ounces package feta crumbled or ¼ inch cubes
3 tbs white balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar)
3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbs parseley cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
2 tbs lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Slice cucumber and onion (I use a food processor with the thin blade). Combine all ingredients together and chill in refrigerator for ½ to 1 hour before serving. Salt to taste when placing on the table.

This is a great summer salad but also can be a refreshing side dish for a meal that has a heavy or spicy entree.

2 Likes

Yes I know that you have all been waiting for this. Of course all the ice cream at the store is “fake.” Real ice cream should be made from “cream.” Instead almost across the board companies drop the cream and use milk or yogurt or some fake substance. This on is the real thing.

##BSC’s Real Ice Cream

4 eggs
2 c full cream
1/2 c splenda (not baking splenda)
2 tsp vanilla extract

On a stove, slowly heat cream until it just begins to simmer, remove from heat. Beat eggs and add slowly to cream whisking to mix it in. Put back on low heat and bring up temperature until it reaches about 165-180 deg F. This should thicken and make a rich custard. Don’t overheat or overcook. If it boils, it is hosed.

Remove from heat, add any flavorings and splenda.

Put custard in refrigerator until it is totally cooled down (sometimes I rush it in the freezer). Please the custard in your ice cream maker and let it crank.

Makes 4, 1/2c servings, 11g fat, 4 g carbs, 6.5 g protein

1 Like

If you have not tried the low carb tortillas such as those from “La Tortilla” or from “Mission” I would urge you to try them. The ones from La Tortilla are 10g carbs, 7 g fiber and the ones from Mission are 13g carbs, 10g fiber. Although I generally make a more elaborate version, here is my enchilada recipe

BSC’s Beef, Cheese and Onion Enchiladas

2 lbs hamburger
2 packs taco seasoning
10 8" low carb tortillas
1/2 c water
1/2 lb cheddar cheese
2 large onions, diced
1 28 oz can low carb enchilada sauce (almost all are low carb)
Seasoning to taste

Brown and drain crumbled hamburger, add taco seasoning and recommended water (check the taco seasoning pack). Cook according to seasoning directions. Grate cheese into a large bowl. Coat 9x14" pan with a layer of olive oil. Fill each tortilla with a generous helping of beef, onions and cheese and place tightly back to back in pan. Try to use about 2/3 of the cheese, leaving a generous amount for topping. I’ll often use more than a 1/2 lb. Make sure the ends of the enchiladas are snug. Pour and spread enchilada sauce on top. Add additional seasoning if you wish (ie. chili powder) and then spread the remaining cheese on top. Bake at 325 degrees for a half hour. It should be bubbling. Serve immediately.

Total (for 2 enchiladas) 38 g carbs, 18 g fiber (making your own taco seasoning can drop it down to 14 g net carbs).

I love Peanut Sauce, and have tried a lot of recipes for it. This is based on one I found for a Cole Slaw and is easy and uncooked. I use my mini food processor to make it. If you don’t have one, mince the garlic and ginger finely and whisk everything together. I use it on chicken sate, salads and grilled vegetables. It can be made one day ahead, refrigerated.

Asian Peanut Sauce
6 Tbl unflavored Rice Vinegar
4 Tbl. Vegetable Oil
1 Tbl Sesame Oil
5 Tbl Creamy Peanut Butter
1 tsp Asian Chili Paste or 1/2 tsp Cayenne
3 Tbl Soy Sauce
2 Tbl. Brown Sugar
2 Tbl Minced Fresh Ginger
1 1/2 Tbl minced Garlic

the entire recipe would be about 25 grams carb,

2 Likes

In our house we LOVE pizza. And frankly, it’s quite difficult to convince a 15 year old growing boy to eat anything other than the original carby pizza we all love. But, then I realized he loves mushrooms. So I then combined several portabella pizza recipes and came up with this family favorite. Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless.

Portabella Pizza

4 portabella mushroom caps wiped with a damp cloth
1 Cup low carb pizza sauce (I make my own to control the sugar and sodium)
1/4 Cup softened cream cheese
1/4 Cup grated parm
1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Tbl Italian seasoning
Pepperoni
Sausage
1/2 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese

On a jelly roll pan, spray two circles, about 3 inches in diameter, and place mushroom caps on top of the circles, stem side up.
Spoon 1/2 cup of the pizza sauce into each cup (use more or less as you desire).
In a small bowl, blend together the cream cheese and parmesan. Add seasoning and mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
Carefully stuff each cup with half of the cheese mixture.
Place 4 pepperoni slices on each cup, on top of the cheese.
Spoon italian sausage on top of the pepperoni.
Top with additional mozzarella cheese.
Carefully press down on each “pizza” to secure the toppings.
Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is lightly browned.

Enjoy!

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes