Omnipod question

Hi!
Looking into “untethered” pumping. Even though I know the dash is tubeless, that’s the only term I’ve read to describe the idea. Anyone have any advice for omnipod dash + MDI Tresiba?

Currently MDI (Tresiba & Fiasp) & G6 Dex

My reason: to insure that I have background insulin if pod fails. As someone who has only been MDI, I believe that is a common concern when switching to a pump, especially after reading about the many pod failures.

To clarify- I would give MDI Tresiba, and use the pod for food bolus. I like to micro bolus with my pens. So I’m just tired of sticking myself 10 + times a day and I often only need half doses to correct and I’m having (well it think it is) absorption problems.

I use fiasp in my inpen now, so I’m guessing I would use fiasp in the pod. From what I’ve read you can set 0 temp basil in the dash.

Any insight would be helpful.

Also, can I loop w the dash? Need to the whole idea. I just know I want tubeless. I live in the US, if that helps.

Thank you🤙

@Laurie_S, I am on the OmniPod for 12 years now. Injecting long lasting insulin as a safety net never crossed my mind. Dexcom is my safety net. If you don’t have a CGM yet, I highly recommend one.

2 Likes

Hi! @Helmut! Thank you.
I do have the G6, just worry about the pod failures, and trying a pump. With my pens, I know they are always reliable.

@Laurie_S, pods are definitely not 100% reliable. I always have a backup plan in mind. If I leave overnight, I always take spare pods with me even if the current pod will not expire before I expect to return. If I can make it home in 6 hours, then I just take the risk. My plan is to not eat anything after a pod failure. I used to always take a couple of syringes and an insulin vial with me. I have just gotten complacent since I never had a problem away from home. It all depends on your lifestyle. I am close to home almost all the time.

2 Likes

@Laurie_S, I was very hesitant to switch from MDI to a pump. My wife helped me to get over the hump. She said: “You don’t have to stay with the pump if you don’t like it.” Realizing that trying OmniPod was not tied to any commitment was key for me.

2 Likes

If you do that, I would suggest reducing your Tresiba to only a portion of your basal needs. That way you can still have some ability to adjust basal.

For example, if you took 50% of your basal from Tresiba, you could then adjust your total basal from the pod’s to be anything from 50% all the way up to whatever higher percentage you needed.

You’d always have 1/2 of your basal in the background as a safety net, but you’d still have the ability to adjust basal a little bit.

5 Likes

I made the switch from MDI. I have made sure I have a couple of bottles of lantus around just in case, but I’ve never really needed it.
When a site fails, I just get a new one. My dexcom will alarm.
I wouldn’t be without insulin for very long.

It was different before cgm. I had a se come out a few times and started into dka.
Even then I was able to correct it.
You can still take injections of humalog if your pump fails too.

I suggest you take a long weekend to make the switch. Where you are home and you have everything you need.

Remember switching is a bumpy road. It takes a while to get the settings right.

2 Likes

@Laurie_S, if you are adventurous, look into OmniPod DIY Loop. It would require that you use the older pod version (Eros) instead of Dash.

2 Likes

I love my Omnipod, but they do fail. But a pump makes it so much easier to give small corrections, extend your bolus, have different bolus rates for different times of the day etc. And also have a different basal rate for different times of the day. But the Dex is the game changer and you get alarms of highs and lows, so a great prevention tool.

1 Like

I mean, yeah, occasionally a pod will fail (very rare) or get knocked off. But I just…put a new one on. My son has been on a pump for 13 years and we don’t even keep a long lasting insulin in the house. Again, if a site fails for him, we just change it out. As long as you have a CGM, there’s really no need to do a shot of long-lasting every day.

1 Like

Thank you all for your helpful tips and suggestions! I think I just need to get out there and give the dash a try!

@Terry4 Hi!!! I think it’s been a while since we last chatted. I think I read an old post of yours, that you did a similar thing in the past. Do you have any insight here for me?