Omnipod Starter Kit Arriving Tomorrow - What should I Do?

Let me start by saying that I have very little patience.

My brand new Omnipod system is arriving tomorrow via FedEx. My question is this: do I have to wait for the “training” with the local Omnipod trainer? I’m a fairly smart girl, and I’ve been pumping for years. I’ve also watched the online tutorial and read the documentation.

So, what I’m saying is that I feel very confident that I can start using the pods without going through the formal training. Is that a correct assumption? Have all of you guys received the “formal” training? Is it a requirement?

I’m very excited to get started and ditch my Minimed pump once and for all!

Thanks, guys!

Maybe I’ll be hit over the head for saying this… but… I don’t think the formal training is CRUCIAL to start the omnipod. My CDE started me on it… but she barely knew anything about it herself. If you know how to put a pod on… that’s about all you need to know. You have a better idea of what your basals and bolusing ratios should be. So… if you’re brave… I’d say you can start playing around with it before your meeting.

However… there’s a good chance that a wise diabetic will get on here and say the exact opposite. lol.

But, basically, the omnipod is very simple. and a youtube video pretty much sums up how to use it. :slight_smile:

If I were you, I’d definitely wait. Being tech savvy (I’m a professional software developer and official gadget geek) did not prepare me for everything there was to learn about OmniPod usage. The proper technique for filling and placing the pods is totally different than other pumps; setting basal rates and carb/insulin ratios could be different than with traditional pumps; you can’t ask questions of a video or book; etc…
Unless you cant’ be trained for weeks or something like that, I think waiting is the wise choice. I’d bet that you’ll experience fewer newbie issues if you wait until you’ve been shown the correct way. You should definitely let the trainer know that you’re an experienced pumper, though; it might save some time.

I would wait - I’m a tech geek and have very little patience like you. It was VERY hard to wait for the training, but it’s worth it - if anything you don’t want to do something wrong and waste a pod or insulin :-p

I was afraid you guys would tell me to wait! Unfortunately, I haven’t even heard from the trainer yet, so I have no idea when it would even be scheduled. With the holidays, I’m concerned that it could be a loooooong wait.

I feel the same as you! I AM READY! And the box is here!

I HATE waiting.

all I want is my Pod!

hahah

well at least you know you arent alone…

Have you heard from your trainer, yet?

I’m looking at the <a href=“http://http://www.myomnipod.com/customer-care/interactive-training/” target=“_blank”>interactive training right now.

I got my OmniPod starter kit last Saturday. I still don’t have a training appointment. Frustrating.

I talked to the training coordinator. She told me that it would take her a couple of days to find a trainer.

Yeah, this is what I’m afraid of. I wore a demo pod for three days, I’ve read all the training materials, etc. I even read through the “tips and tricks” posted in this forum. I’ve got my basals and carb ratios ready. I feel very capable of getting started right away.

I feel the same way. The training coordinator told me that I was not allowed to skip the training. This is different from when I got the DexCom. DexCom told me that it was my choice to skip the training. Which I did.

I don’t think that I would end up in ‘Disobedient-Pumpers-Prison’ if I started without training. I just feel silly putting too much of a rush on it after 36 years not wanting a pump.

LOL @ disobedient pumpers prison!

SInce this is your first pump, they’re probably going to make you start (your first pod) with saline instead of insulin.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to get started right away - even if you have waited 36 years!

Oh, and I also skipped the DexCom training. I haven’t had a single problem with it (I actually read user manuals - especially since I write them for a living).

This is my favorite answer :wink:

If you have used a pump before, know your basil and I:C ratios,etc. I say go for it. I personally waited only because the omnipod was my first pump. If I were to change, I believe I would be confident enough to jump start training with a different pump. I kind of think it’s like when you are using syringes and then go to a pen…same basics.

So go for it Shannon. Start it in the morning, have some syringes and vial just in case and check your blood. And, don’t forget to check again at the dreaded 2 am.

Wish you well.

Hey - we live in Laurel - I think it’s about an hour away, do you want me to come train you? : )
I opened the box when it arrived for my son, and went through and entered everything. I waited only because it was his first pump, so we did have to do saline first. In fact they made us do a full week of saline. I was REALLY tempted to go ahead and add insulin - I read the whole manual too. But I was more concerned that if something went wrong, I wouldn’t be able to get customer service or anything. If I were you I would get pretty insistent. I called every day and sometimes more than once a day to set up our training. It was in August and I wanted my son on the pod before he started school. I think in my case the squeaky wheel got the grease - : )

What is the reason to use saline instead of insulin? I did the 3 day demo pod trial.

Just go for it. Watch the interactive training, read the manuals, and you’ll be in good shape. Don’t cancel the training, but don’t wait for the trainer.

Ditching my Medtronic pump for the OmniPod was one of my top moments over the last 20 years. The first night slept without that #&@*ing pump and tubing was miraculous. Life is too short to live with a tubed pump.

My educator and Endo actually contacted the trainer for me to set up my training. You could see if they have any relationships with a trainer, it might speed things up a bit. Omnipod has this list of questions they ask you if something goes wrong to see if it was your fault and won’t replace the pods if you answer wrong so I’d suggest getting trained, just to avoid losing some pods!

I agree with Jaybear. I went from a Minimed to a Cozmo to an Omnipod. It’s not like you’re new to pumping. If you activated a pod and had a problem within the first few hours, you could always hook back up to your MM pump and try again with the trainer. You could leave your infusion set in for a few hours until you’re sure you did it correctly and are receiving your basal and then you’d be able to reconnect if necessary. It’s fairly cut-and-dried. Like you said, you’ve watched the videos.

The trainers are great for additional tips regarding placement, adhesive, etc., but as far as initial insertion and user settings, I’d say it’s a no-brainer for seasoned pumpers. Go with your gut on this one, Shannon. One of the tips I got from my CDE though is not to move the pod while the system is priming - leave it flat on the table - or you could have a priming failure (which is annoying and happens occasionally). So if you need little tips like that to feel like you’re not going to waste a pod or two, you might wait. I didn’t wait for my Navigator training to hook up. With the Pod, they shipped it to my CDE’s office, so I didn’t have a choice but to get trained.

Laurel is not far at all (only about 30 minutes). In fact, my husband graduated from Laurel High School! Small diabetes world . . .

Should I assume that if I don’t get training, I can’t get customer service? Is it like voiding your car warranty by adding after market accessories?

I totally agree about the squeaky wheel! I’m going to call today and see what they say. My endo would probably tell me to go for it (he knows me well - I’m a total technogeek).

We’ll see what they say, but if I’m not impressed with the response, I’m sticking a pod on when I get home from work :wink: