Omnipod

So I’m looking into getting a Omnipod. I’m currently on the tslim and still within my 3 year warranty but I need something that’s wireless I go through so many infusion sets a month it’s ridiculous. So my question is kinda in parts.

1. Is there a out of pocket cost for people paying without insurance?
  2. Has anybody done the switch from tslim to omnipod?
  3. Tips and tricks about the pod?
  4. Anything else you feel is good to know

Hi, @aleasa24!

My son has been using Omnipod for about ten years. He’s also recently used a MiniMed, so we finally have a perspective to compare a tubed pump to a tubeless. Could you clarify why wireless is important to you? You mention going through a lot of infusion sets - is the tube getting caught a lot requiring you to change them?

Over the years I’ve heard a lot of comments I didn’t understand until Caleb used a tubed pump. A stark difference is OmniPod’s hard stop - you must change the site after 80 hours. It will stop working at the 80 hour mark. At 72 hours it will alert and keep alerting every hour until you change it.

Another thing is if a Pod errors, you need to be sure you have backup supplies with you. Insulin will stop delivering and you need to either use injections or change the Pod immediately. This never struck me as odd, as we’ve always been prepared for it, but I can now see how someone who is used to a tubed pump, where an infusion set or reservoir doesn’t “error” and pump errors are rare, would be taken off guard and irritated with the inconvenience. Caleb does’t get a lot of errors, but they are more than zero and you have to be prepared for them always.

We find variability in placement of the Pod greater and so much more flexible. Caleb also enjoys being able to stay connected for sports and swimming. Tip and tricks - maybe pinching up the skin when inserting the cannula, and using just an alcohol wipe to prepare the skin for best adhesion.

Best of luck to you!

1 Like

Like Lorraine said, I don’t think the OmniPod will solve your problem if it is to cut down on the number of times you change your sites, unless there is some reason specific to a tubed pump that you are changing sites more often than every 3 days or so. You have to change and fill a new pod with insulin every 72 hours no matter what. The process is somewhat more pleasant though, as the pod automatically inserts the cannula with the push of a button. Monthly supplies are generally more expensive compared to tubed pumps, at least in Canada where I live.

1 Like
  1. Tips and tricks–personal favorite! Pump failure because insulin flow was blocked, nothing is communicating or it started to snow on Saturn. Doesn’t matter the cause–your Pod will produce a (very) high-pitched tone. Depending on your hearing, what you are wearing and whether your ears are busy listening to something else (?TV), you may not recognize the sound immediately. Once you do realize it’s your Pod screaming, it will seem VERY loud. The Manual sez “use the end of a paper clip to silence it”. Before I finally taped a clip to my PDM, I could never find one. Fortunately, my OmniPod guru had told me, “if all else fails, put the Pod in the freezer–it will stop eventually, but you won’t hear it!”
1 Like

So the reason for my switch is because my tubing gets caught on doorknobs a ton or what have you…or they just fall off. I’m not very worried about the hard shut off after 72hrs +8 hrs actually it’ll probably help me to be more proactive about my diabetes.

3 Likes

Ms_Mody, thanks for the trick. I usually throw mine out of the window on the highway when it does this or try to find a baseball player to throw it on top of a roof. I am always afraid to throw in the garbage in case someone thinks its a bomb.

aleasa24, When I switched from a tubed to a tubeless pump, I saw a huge decrease in BG variability. Can’t be certain, but some people argue that tubed pumps deliver variable insulin dosages. Always have a backup pump because they will fail, although this is quite rare for me. The adhesive is really good, but if you have sensitive skin, you might want to rub some lotion around the site before removal.

2 Likes

It’s all dependent on the person, I saw way more variability with the pod than I’ve ever seen on a tubed pump!

2 Likes

I just tested the Omnipod for the first time yesterday. My hospital didn’t have a test pump - apparently the European distributor does not care about the country with highest GDP/cap in the world so I had to buy one and some pods on ebay. Well, considering that I’m on Loop, my readings are very stable, but I found out that the Omni was not something for me… at the moment at least.
First of all, the quality feeling of the pdm is just sad. I mean it looks like the cheapest toy made in China you can think of. Like a remote from the early 80’s.
The filling was fine, I applied it on the back of my arm and started it - the clicking noise when dosing. Ok, I haven’t heard that since Minimed 508 in 1999. But the sugar went spiking. From 109 to 180 to 213 in no time and me without eating anything.
In the end I found myself inputing the dex readings into the pdm and bolusing for correction every 10 min.
Then I decided to give it up for now and remove the pod after only 4 hours of testing. The problem may be the syringe which is being inserted at a 45 degree angle, resulting in a too short part going under the skin. I usually have the 6mm mio, but the Pod needle is not longer than 3-4mm under the skin.
Back on my old Minimed and Loop, happy. I will save the omnipod and maybe try it on my next vacation. The feeling of not having a pump on the belt or in the pocket was very nice, but I felt the pressure to always think about the pdm.

The reciever interface is silly, that’s true.

I think the PDM is being phased out, hopefully later this year, with the introduction of the Dash system, which will use a locked-down Android phone in its place. If I understand it correctly, while this means a modern, less embarrassing-looking device, it will also mean having to use a separate BG meter, currently incorporated into the PDM (a feature I personally like). That is, unless we’re allowed to dose off the CGM that’s also part of Dash. For people with phones, Dash will also mean having to carry around two phone devices. Not sure how much of an improvement in convenience that is.

As long as they get rid of that danged “Confirm” feature, I’ll be happy.

Oh, and to @BK1112 , you hardly notice the clicking after a few days. (It’s like when you get a new clock, and you wonder how you’ll ever sleep through that loud ticking.) These days, I often have to ask my partner, “Is this bolus working? Can you hear it?” Sorry your (very brief) trial didn’t work out, but if I had a Loop, I wouldn’t bother looking at anything else.

1 Like

You understand correctly. Dash will utilize the Contour Next One BGMS. So you will need the Android Device and a meter.

1 Like

What happens if the Android PDM has a 4 to 6 button password that is required? That will be a lot worse than the confirm button…

But the “Confirm” button isn’t a security feature like a password. Anyone can press “Confirm.” It doesn’t confirm anything at all, except that you can read.

My main gripe, though, is how each time the screen times out I have to re-confirm that yes, it’s still me, in the middle of calculating my carbs or changing the pod, and can I just get on with it, please, without this repeated and unnecessary extra step. (I know extending the screen time-out reduces the number of times I’d have to confirm, but that also sucks up battery life.)

Being able to confirm that it’s your PDM can be useful (you live with another Omnipod user; you’re off to summer camp). Still, an opt-out option would be nice, or at least some kind of time-out: I press “Confirm” and please trust that for the next 5 or 10 minutes it’s still me and not Claus von Bülow.

1 Like

Sure, I wish I could opt out of the confirm button too.

But only one button push versus 4-6 for a password? What if you can’t opt out of having a phone password, like on the newer iPhones?

You are at your house, all by yourself, no Claus von Bülow, but you still have to unlock the Android? Don’t you think that is worse than just a single push for the confirm button?

BTW, I have my timeout set to the longest time possible, and my batteries still last a very long time. Months.

1 Like

Thats a good point Eddie2, about the psswrd. I do prefer having a receiver over a smart phone.

If you are referring to the Dexcom, there is a widget that you can get for iPhones that lets you see the Dexcom number without unlocking. You still need to unlock to make changes or calibrate, but at least you can see the blood glucose value without unlocking. I was very happy when I got that added to my phone.

1 Like

I am secretly hoping that some nerd engineer at Insulet has thought of a necessity of having an android/iphone app as a backup solution in case one forgets the pdm. This would make it possible for FDA’s “paragraph riders”, as we call people with no reality check and just following the book, to approve the usage of a phone to control the pods.

I use the old model of the Dex so I have a receiver. Also, I prefer the Omnipod receiver to a smartphone. This is a hardware preference, over software. I’m tough on hardware. Need something vastly more durable than a phone. Also, my phone doesn’t work in the mountains and I’m unsure what the implications would be for the software.

Bluetooth works everywhere, that’s the point. Having carried a pump, a meter, this and that for 27 years now, I am getting quite tired of it and trying to cut down on gadgets needed for my sugar to an absolute minimum.

1 Like

I get that. I error on the side of reliability, as opposed to convenience. To each their own. A phone is simply not a durable enough piece of equipment for my lifestyle. It fails in cold weather and I live in a very cold climate.