Ordered the omnipod, NERVOUS

Hi everyone,
I have been with animas for about 9 years and I love every minute of their pumps. However, I am a nursing student and have had some problems with the cords getting yanked by patients, I am also an endurance athlete and needed the constant basal. SOOO… I ordered the omnipod today.
I just need as much advice as possible! Best sites for thin people the lift weights and do cardio? Precautions to take for having success with the omnipod?? Better or worse then have a pump with a cord? Any advice, tips and encouragement would be appreciated. I am uber nervous if you cant tell, this is a huge change in my life.

Thanks,

Spenser

Every pump is going to have its quirks. That being said, I’ve loved the omnipod. Yes it was different than my minimed. And yes I had to make some site selection adjustments because of it. But having been tubeless for well over a year (Dec 08), I have to say I will never go back to a tubed pump again. I am also an endurance athlete, and that was one of the main reasons I switched to the pod (b/c of the waterproof-ability so I could get continuous basal in the pool and prevent post-workout highs from missed basals). I use the back of my arms and my flank area a lot for sites. I have tried the top of my butt where I used to where quicksets w/ the minimed, but the pod size/shape and the way my pants fit for work has not been super successful. However there are others who have had great success w/ those areas. I’ve also used my stomach, but since I used my stomach heavily w/ MDI for 8 1/2 years and then heavily w/ the minimed for 4 1/2 to 5 yrs, I’m trying to leave my stomach alone for a bit. As far as cycling, the pod works great in both of the spots I use w/ the bibs that I wear (no issues to speak of). As a tip, the pod is only welded (stuck) in a few places to the adhesive backing…so wearing it horizontal on my body (on my back side) while running caused a LOT of movement for me…I didn’t enjoy it. It was almost as annoying as the clicking sound of test strips in a vial when running… So I recommend putting the pod at a 45 degree angle (half way between horizontal and vertical), or more (closer to vertical) when wearing it on the back side. When I wear it that way, I don’t even notice it while running.
Because you’re thin, I’d recommend using the “pinch” technique when the cannula is inserting…hold the skin on either side of the pod and pinch it up (almost like you would if you were giving a shot). This will let the cannula insert w/o the risk of hitting muscle. Some others may have other suggestions, but this one has worked for me w/ pretty good success.
Good luck w/ podding. For me it was a great step in being able to control my glucose better for long distance tris. Hopefully it works out for you too!

Bradford

Thanks bradford. By flanks are you referring to “love handles”?? Thanks for the tips about positioning the pod… That will help a lot.

Yep. The love handles. Too close to the spine and I hit muscle. I’m a side sleeper most of the time, so too far lateral and I feel it when I’m trying to sleep…so just like goldilocks, it has to be “just right” (in the middle that is :wink:
For me, cannula down works best (this is just my interpretation, but I think it’s b/c the weight of the pod “pulls” on the cannula w/ every bounce while running, etc, so if the cannula is pointed upwards, it’s extra pressure pulling on it. If it’s pointed downwards, it actually puts a little more pressure on the back side of the cannula, keeping it in my skin better…again, that’s just my interpretation of the experiences I had w/ cannula up vs cannula down). I do cannula down on my arms too (pointed at the elbow).
Do you have an ETA of when it arrives? And/or do you have a ‘training’ set up? You’ve been pumping long enough that I would say you could read the instruction manual, put your data in (I:C ratio, basals, etc), and start pumping…then maybe follow up w/ the CDE or educator. But that’s just my opinion :slight_smile:

I believe the OmniPod will be different for you and I’m sure every pump has a learning curve. My daughter, Carolina says, “I love every minute of the OmniPod.” She has had great success with the Pod. I have learned so much and am willing to share all I know.

I am thinking your best site areas will be on your tummy and lower back. There will be areas there you will not be able to use where there is an indenture in the skin. You want the Pod to be flat. The canula inserts at a 45 degree angle.

You will probably need to use some extra adhesive. I will finish my post later. I have a bunch of tips running through my mind.

Best wishes while entering this next stage of your life! I agree with Bradford on cannula down when the pod is on the arms, and also noticed a lot of movement when horizontal on my back - hadn’t thought of trying 45 degrees though - Thanks Bradford! I’ll try that next time! There is a little trial and error on figuring out the best places the pod works on your body, and since it is a 3 day system, can seem like it takes forever to figure out the good sites - so the best advice I can give you is to be patient! I never wanted to pump because the thought of tubing and my kids climbing on me just didn’t seem to mesh. When I saw the Omnipod, I decided I could switch to a pump, although my kids still kick at it, and grab it, they havn’t managed to pull it out - yet. And ask any questions you have - there are so many experienced, knowledgeable, helpful podders here, you can’t go wrong!

Some people have had their issues, I have not…we (almost) all love the Opod. Good luck to you.

Ive been using the pod for almost 2 weeks now and I was super nervous but my control has never been better. I wish I was on the pod sooner. Of course every pump has its pros and cons.

About the tubing… I think this is better. Theres no tubing to get yanked, kinked or punctured, so insulin delivery is more predictable.

as for being active and lifting weights- When I put the pod on the back of my arm and Im working on biceps/triceps/back, I find that the insulin gets going through my body faster so I usually temp decrease a bit more. You may want to put it somewhere that you wont be working too hard, like the side of your stomach or hip or general “lovehandles” area. Thats just my experience so far, you may want to use it as instructed and just be extra cautious.

thanks for all your advice guys. keep it coming!! I am expecting it to be here no later then wednesday! Also, I have no idea when I will get training set up, I am waiting for a rep to call me today!

Thanks!

I am going to make a list of things I remember. Insulin at room temperature, prevent the kick back when canula is inserted, Bolus after a Pod change (trial and error) (my daughter has gone to the 300’s within 2 hours after change), blood in canula (watch to see if it clears), careful placement, proper prep and cleaning a must, bard used for sweating and swimming. The reason you do not put a Pod verticle on the stomach/love handles is when you bend down you can bend the canula. I’m sure you are pretty smart with your diabetes and much of the learning curve is common sense. Always think, “if I am a canula when you consider placements.” You don’t want the canula to have to reach too far to get into the skin. A small pinch up is what I was taught is best. I also learned with athletes it is best to not suspend all insulin while active. You can decrease the basal to run at 5% or 10% or a .05 or .10 a hour (depending on how you set up your PDM). You can only use one of those programs at a time (you know which works best for you). The reasoning behind this teaching – it is harder for the body to play catch up when all basal has been shut off.

My daughter’s legs are too muscular for Pod’s and yours probably are too.

When and if you place a pod on your arm, watch out for door frames. :frowning:

Bradford made some really good suggestions about half way between horizontal and vertical.

I know many here say canula down, but I don’t think I would ever put the canula straight down, let me explain. I have opened many pods and manually manipulated the screw that administers insulin into the tube and when the canula is pointed down I have been able to watch air bubbles go into the canula. After Pod changes I have watched air bubbles going through the canula and into the skin as I have watched my daughter’s numbers climb. Hopefully, we have worked through this by trail and error correcting that problem.

I’m sure these is much more, but here’s one more I remember now. Baby oil to remove old Pod. I saturate the old Pod adhesive with baby oil and leave it until the adhesive comes completely loose around the Pod. This prevents damage to the skin and is very gently for one with sensitive skin. I have removed old Pod’s without allowing the baby oil enough time to work and my daughter’s skin became red for days. Leaving the baby oil on is worth every moment. I hope you will love Podding as much as she does.

OMNIPOD IS HERE!!! It arrived at ten a.m! I am psyched, but I still have not received a call from the omnipod trainer that is supposed to be getting in touch with me. I am pretty sure I can set it up myself if needed since I know my basal, correction, carb ratio and all that other pump stuff. I have been reading the instructions and doing the online demos but I hate doing things before I am suppose to, but IT SO EXCITING. Thanks again for everyones advice, you guys are great.

Someone else started a discussion recently asking if she could start on the pod herself…she did and was scolded by the trainer, but did great! You could research it… Congrats and good luck.

I agree that you could go ahead and start (especially since the trainer hasn’t called yet). There is “the ideal” world that the trainers live in (where they want to make sure you do it right from the get go as a form of CYA…covering their own rear) and then there’s real life.
In real life, you’ve got the pod in your hand now, and you’ve been pumping for quite a while w/ an adequate A1c. I think you’ve got all the tools you need to get after it…but I also don’t want you to anything you’re not comfortable with. But for what it’s worth, Elaine is right, others have started “pre-training” and been successful. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I started it about 20 min after my post haha. I love it, it felt great on my ride and when I was lifting weights. It is really a cool idea, the PDM is great as well! Im sold so far.

Congratulations, I hope the pods make your life easier!

LOL to stop the strip from clicking together just stick a cotton ball or 2 in the strip bottle. :slight_smile:

It’s true that works. During my last half iron distance tri that I did, I used that technique…it was so hot and I had so much sweat rolling off of me that I ended up soaking the cotton ball when I tried to pull out the test strip to test. So then I had a soaking wet cotton ball that I stuck back into the “needs to be kept dry and free of moisture” test strip container :slight_smile: However, the noise was prevented and I could run in happy, ‘click-less’ silence lol.