Ping Battery

When do you change your pump battery? Do you wait until it tells you to change it or a little bit before? My Ping gives me a half hour to change the battery after it tells me times up on it or else I have to reset everything. I’ve figured that when the battery hits the half way mark I’ve got about 11 days left before it gives out. Lately I’ve been changing it on the 10th day as too many times it awakens me after I’ve gone to sleep at night and I don’t like getting up to groggily change the battery and having to do the detach and the full prime. I’ve been told that other brand pumps do not have to reprime the pump to change the battery. How do you handle the battery change?

What kind of batteries are you using in the pump? . . . And how long are your batteries lasting? If you use an Alkaline battery it is necessary to change the battery type setting to Alkl at time of reboot . . . or the pump will not be able to properly determine the estimated battery life. If you use an Advanced Lithium (rather than the recommended Ultimate Lithium battery) the battery life can be shorter than expected and some funky things can happen . . . the Advanced Lithium just doesn’t work well in the pump. If the battery life with use of the Ultimate Lithium is less than 5 to 7 weeks you may want to call the Customer Service number on the back of your pump.
Personally, my usage of the pump does not tend to drain battery power very fast . . . but that depends on the number of alarms you use and the overall delivery rates, etc. . . And my battery can last for several hours after the first low battery alert. I change before I go to bed if it has given a low battery alarm . . . just to be safe!
One other thing that helps me . . . is knowing that I do not have to remove the cartridge to complete rewind/load/prime steps . . . just have to be SURE you are DISCONNECTED and let the pump go through the steps . . . so it can verify proper placement of the cartridge and pressure of the piston against the cartridge. I know that other pumps do not require the rewind at time of battery change . . . but it is reassuring to me that my PING pump has that safety mechanism built in.

Trekker: I feel the same way you do…do not want to be changing batteries in the middle of the night, or at some other inconvenient time. I know my lithium will last six weeks, so I note it on the calendar and change it in the sixth week. To me, it is just not worth worrying about making the battery last until the last second on the odd chance I might save myself one battery per year by doing so. My calendar is my lifesaver in terms of changing batteries (every six weeks) and battery caps (every six months).

I do use the Ultimate Lithium batteries, but mine only last a little over a month. I have the alarm set for 2 hour after the last bolus. The alarm also goes off when I suspend the pump for a shower. I didn’t know that you can leave the cartridge in the pump when changing the battery, have always just gone through the whole prime as if changing cartridge and infusion set.

Does the battery cap tighten securely? If NO, call Animas Customer Service Dept.

Does the pump power off and come to the battery verify screen without your loosening the cap? If Yes, call Animas Customer Service Dept.

If the battery lasts less than 5 weeks . . . call Animas Customer Service Dept.

…… You should just go ahead and call the Customer Service Dept!

I generally get between 5 and 6 weeks using a lithium battery in my Ping. I only change the battery when the Ping says “low battery”.

To extend your battery life:

1. Turn the display brightness DOWN to the lowest level you can comfortably read (inside).

2. Turn off all unnecessary alarms, and set those that are not VITAL to LOW.

3. Do as much bolusing as possible using the Ping remote meter, rather than doing it from the Ping itself (and thus making use of the Ping screen, which consumes much more power).

4. Set the pump display time out to 15 seconds.

My battery lasts about six weeks. I change my infusion set every three days as recommended and premark my calendar as a reminder to change sets. I count out six weeks from the last battery change and mark the calendar to change it the same time as I change my infusion set at the end of the six week period. It works for me and I’m never caught off guard.

I use Lithiums and I’m guessing that they last about 6 weeks. Once it starts singing to us, we change it the next time we have a site change. There’s no reboot, just a full rewind.

Animas specifically requires Lithium L91 AA batteries. Not all lithium batteries are equal!! In the owners manual, it states that only L91 Energizer batteries works best. Any other kind of lithium can damage the pump and void warranty. It appears that we can use any kind of Alkaline battery. It’s also important that you indicate the kind of battery on your pump. I believe the default is Lithium.

To extend your battery life:

1. Turn the display brightness DOWN to the lowest level you can comfortably read (inside). [I’ve had it at 5 for a long time]

2. Turn off all unnecessary alarms, and set those that are not VITAL to LOW. [Will try not having the 2 hr following bolus alarm].

3. Do as much bolusing as possible using the Ping remote meter, rather than doing it from the Ping itself (and thus making use of the Ping screen, which consumes much more power). [ I mostly use the remote.]

4. Set the pump display time out to 15 seconds. [That’s where it’s been set for a long time.]

I’ve always used the Energizer Ultimate Lithium, that’s what came with the pump. Yes, the default is “Lith”

Carb 101, how long have you gone, from the time the battery gives a warning of low battery, until you do the next site change?

I have been going 4 days before site change and it works fine for me. Began doing that when I found out that Liberty Medical could not send extra sets (Medicare) and we were away from home and the next delivery while visiting family. This helped me accumulate a decent/safe supply so I wasn’t caught short.

Thanks for all of your input, it’s appreciated.