Plant Based Diet

I’m into my 3rd month of trying whole foods plant based. I’m 80-90% kinda because I don’t cook and am not organized yet. My goal is like Marilyn6 describes but less cooking. Well, I can heat frozen broccoli etc! I’m half trying the “starch solution” with half the plate starch like a baked potato white or sweet, or wild rice, the other half calorie dense veggies 40-45% and then a fruit. Tho I find I dare not have more than a medium potato but with that my BG stays more level all night long than it ever has in the past. Almost a flat line which is a miracle for me. After two months, the only change I see other than a 3 lb loss is that suddenly I can get up from my chairs easier. I’m old and have had to ‘pump’ myself up from my seat for a couple years. No meat at all and I do not miss it. I think the salmon that Marilyn6 mentioned 1x/wk sounds good though even if I’m not a fan of it. I do take B12 and other vitamins.
I DO miss cheese and do cheat a bit with that but not much.

2 Likes

I follow the info at the Mastering Diabetes website. I was a vegan for four years, but now eat about 3-4 oz. of salmon once a week.
My woe involves eating lots of plant foods, but very little fat. I eat about 275 very healthy carbs daily and take about 22 total units of insulin. It is a very healthy way for anyone to eat. I don’t like to take a lot of insulin, and by not eating much fat, I decrease my need for insulin.

My diet consists of vegetables including potatoes, fruit, legumes, seeds, grains, a few nuts, etc. I don’t eat bread or pasta, but I suppose I could if it was made without oil. I use no oil.

Eating this way involves exercise. I ride my exercise bike 1/2 an hr after breakfast and lunch.I do this to stay between 60-140. My Alc stays around 5.1.

Marie20 is a vegan, and has been for decades. She stays in range by eating what she wants and exercising. Hopefully she will see this and explain her woe more thoroughly.

For those unfamiliar with woe, it means “way of eating”.

1 Like

Yep, I eat what (vegan) foods I want, Whether it be a pizza, a taro donut or a bowl of veggies. One major meal, any snacks and sometimes a minor meal. I am retired and that has helped me do what I need to. I avoid morning eating (FOTF issues), except I am having to experiment with that because of snorkeling. I also avoid much eating after 6 except for maybe few crackers or almonds with my herbs/vitamins.

For me I find the two most important things are being able to exercise and the proper timing of insulin. A lot of people eat the same foods all the time, so it’s a matter of learning the timing for those foods. But I also have variables in vegan take out, mixing up for new things and trying new vegan foods. But I do have a fairly accurate guess this is about a cup and about this many carbs. The constant with me is probably a lot of veggies and a lot of salads.

So for me it’s getting down timing of prebolus, then the rest in a meal bolus, with maybe a follow up if it was higher fat or protein or I guessed wrong…

I sugar surf. My top alert is set at 130 so I can evaluate if I want to do something about it. Either more insulin or if I am at home, I might get on my exercise bike to kick in the insulin better or both. Or if I know it’s for a reason, I might leave it be.

It can vary, but right now I am at 96% TIR between 65-160 and 93% TIR between 70-140.