Playing the "D" Card

Diabetes is defined by many official documents as a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone to argue this statement. Even though Diabetes is legally rules a disability under the ADA: Americans With Disabilities Act (kind of ironic acronym) I am sure that those of us who are Diabetic take some offense in categorizing us as “Disabled” or having a “Disability” (I know I do.) As a diabetic, I work very hard to keep my diabetes in check and do all that I can to show that I am just as, if not more, capable of living my life than someone who has not been labeled as disabled.

You can read the entire post here:

Playing the “D” Card

I guess it depends on your circumstances. I take no offense at category of “Disabled” or having a “Disability.” I also work very hard to keep my diabetes in check,but hard work does not necessarily turn into good results for all of us.

The “D” has definately interfered with my work and accomodations had to be made,( I have been with he same employer for almost 12 years–most of that before my “D” time) and my life in general was turned upside down (and I am not talking diet)

As with anything, there are different levels and types of disabilty…for example–my husband if you just see him standing, at first glance looks perfectly fine–normal–but he has been in terrible pain for 20+ years.(3 ruptured disks and a severly broken ankle, back and ankle surgeries-an on the job injury) Every step can be excrutiating at times 9and sometimes he cannot walk due to the pain)…he has been like this since he was 29–and I can’t tell you the number of times he/we have been reamed about using a handicapped spot because he “looked” just fine…

so some may not be disabled by the “D” and some are,and not all disabilities are “seeable”

I take a different look than most when it comes to disabilities or handicaps. I have two things that I think about: 1-People are not "dis"abled, they are just differently-abled.
2-I also think of handicaps as hurdles, not boundaries. Physically handicapped people are capable of living their life just like anyone else. They, like those of us with diabetes, have to make adjustments. The minute they think their handicap is a boundary, life starts becoming very difficult. As long as we think of our adjustments as hurdles, then we can remember that they slow us down, not stop us in the race called life.

Very good response, Robert.