Diabetics considered as handicapped?

Can a diabetic considered to be a handicap?

Yes then why?
No then why?

Please explain!

Yes - if they have a handicap

No - if they do not have a handicap

Diabetes is not a handicap.

I mean if I am a type 1 diabetes (not other problem in my body except this) then may I considered to be a handicap?

A related question: Is being overweight a disease?
A radio show today asked is being homosexual was a disease because of infertility.

No. Diabetes is NOT a handicap.

I think it matters in what way you are using the term handicap. I don't consider myself a handicapped person and feel I can do anything anyone else can do. (But then, so do some people with handicaps!). However, in the U.S. Diabetes is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, giving us some rights that other handicapped people have as well.

It has always angered me if someone said I had a handicap…and it has always angered me that individuals think they have some extra entitlements because they R insulin dependent.

If your handicapped, what is it U absolutely can not do? Don’t worry if you think your handicapped, this forum is full of individuals that think they R and think they should go to the front of the line, I also think they have the right to feel that way, I cannot judge them, only myself, insulin dependence brings with it some very strong emotions and we all deal with it in different ways…JMHO

This is a interesting posting, what kind of entitlements would you like to see.

I,m probably a little slower and a little weaker but I’m not going to admit it…that’s how I deal with it…

Karen 's answer is spot on. After living with type 1 for 30+ years, I do not considered myself disabled. But...and this is important...diabetes is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act due to the potential for discrimination, access to services or insurances, that sort of thing. I guess it boils down to this: If you don't have a disability related to having diabetes - blind, amputee, then no, you don't get a handicapped parking sticker.

I meant the benefits in a govt sector a handicap gets, is available for diabetics as well?

Is it only available in US or all over the world?

People with diabetes do not get any "benefits" from the govt - again unless there are physical disabilities due to the diabetes such as blind amputee etc - in the USA. In fact, people with diabetes (PWD) in other countries get a lot more govt assistance in terms of the costs of insulin, supplies etc. But then , in my opinion - and that's all it is my opinion, other countries have far better health coverage than in the USA

Just to clarify when I was referring to "rights" under the ADA I was referring to things like "reasonable accommodations" that have to be provided by employers, not financial benefits.

I think all of this very much varies by country, Atish. I see you are in India. If you want to know specifically about rights and benefits in India you might try asking in the India group.

I think "handicapped" is such a loaded word. (Perhaps Jen will speak to that when she logs into the thread.) Many of us, rightfully so, want to assert our independence and abilities to live a normal life (and thus not be "handicapped".). However if I was in, for example, a job situation where I didn't get regular breaks, or was told I couldn't test as often as needed, or was discouraged from having supplies on the job, I wouldn't hesitate to assert my rights - first on a personal basis (as I always think that makes for better relationships) but failing that, calling on the ADA regulations I'm entitled to.

Another example where many of us assert our rights is with the TSA at airports.

I think the original poster uses English as a second language - and that is why he used "handicapped"?

Hey, I am not talking about English language. I know I am not good at English language but my question was not asking you to correct my language rather than I wanted to know whether a diabetic considered as handicap or not?

Thanks all for your replies!

Taking insulin to control diabetes is a progressive situation. Some people have an easier time controlling their blood glucose levels than others. Diabetes demands a certain level of attention to be paid to blood sugar levels (BG meter testing, continuous glucose monitoring, A1c levels).

The times where I got into BG trouble usually occurred when I was distracted by life. I paid more attention to a work project, for instance, than I did to my BGs. I once had a very serious BG low while I was having my teeth cleaned. By the time I walked out of the dental clinic, I had lost my ability to detect and act on my hypoglycemia. That did not end well, but I survived.

As the years go by, I truly believe that the amount of attention required goes up, in order to monitor my BGs for personal safety as well as health. I finally decided that I could no longer pay attention to the requirements of a job as well as my diabetes. If I didn't have diabetes I would probably have worked longer. Looking back, I consider that I did indeed have a disability. Others may arrive at different conclusions, but I believe this is true for me.

Diabetes fills countless hours in my life and I willing do it because in the end I feel better and my health and safety are enhanced.

"Handicapped" is a loaded term. When I was younger I would have bristled at being labeled handicapped. Like most you people, I wanted to be a competent and productive member of society. I was able to contribute for many years during my career. For that I am grateful. But now I need to pay attention full-time to taking care of my health. It can easily be argued that I have a handicap due to diabetes.

Atish,

Being a diabetic, in and of itself does not lend to being "handicapped" in the traditional way I would consider it (use of a mobility device, parking stickers and places, etc.), however, we are completely covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In my work place, I have chosen to share my diabetes diagnosis with my co-workers and more importantly, my Human Resources Manager (Thankfully, she understands, as her son is T1D and wears the same pump). I made that decision, because, unless they know, you cannot assert your rights for accommodations, such as being allowed 15 minutes to bring a low blood sugar back up, continuous access to a restroom (not really an issue in my job, but I always request it), and having a sharps container in my office.

The ADA defines diabetes in the structure of a "life-sustaining' bodily function. If this disease has impacted you in such a way that you can no longer see or walk properly, then you may qualify for various other accommodations (Seeing-Eye Dog, Parking Spots, Use of Mobility Devices, etc.). In that case, you then have to research your local area to see what accommodations you can recieve. Each State, City, County, etc. have different requriements. Some States require you to have your doctor sign off before they can issue you a driver's liscense. Some have requirements about Medicare or Medicaid for certain services they can provide. My suggestion - do your research, look up local laws, and continue to ask questions.

Thanks,
Anne

I think you might be confusing "disability" with "handicap."

A person can have a disability (loss of sight, nerve damage, etc.) as a result of diabetes. If that disability is great enough a person can qualify for government aid in the US.

Handicap implies (to me) an innate physical or mental limitation.

Atish - My comment below provides a larger context to your question but does not answer your immediate question. Diabetes is not in and of itself considered the basis for public health benefits in the US such as Medicaid (for poor people) and Medicare (primarily for people over 65).

Part of the Social Security Act, provides benefits for people with disabilities. Diabetes, by itself, does not qualify one for disability benefits. Social Security is funded by workers themselves over the span of their working life. The disability portion of Social Security allows eligible workers to apply for and receive benefits before they reach age 62 if they can prove they have a disability. Each case is considered on its own merits. Diabetes compounded by secondary complications (blindness, difficulty walking, difficulty thinking clearly, for instance) may be considered as a disability that qualifies for disability benefits under the Social Security Act.

I am not familiar with any benefits for people with diabetes in other countries.

Your English is very good. Diabetics are not considered as having a handicap.

I apologize, I didn't intend to offend. It was just that sometimes people (from all over the place) use disability and handicap interchangeable. Often people generalize and assume that any illness is a disability. As others had said, having diabetes is not viewed as keeping a person from doing what they set out to do, and this view is especially espoused by people with diabetes - as Zoe stated, we strive to be independent and productive in spite of the extra responsibilities that diabetes requires us to carry out. lot of us have fought to have diabetes viewed NOT as a handicap or disability.