PLEASE HELP First new job as a diabetic (Type 1.5 )

Just started my 90 day training period. I get screened entering and leaving with x ray machines by security. For now I just take it off an hand it to security then put it back on. Do I have to tell employer that I'm a diabetic and wear a insulin pump?

Do you have to tell them? No, not really. Should you tell them? Probably.

The reason why I suggest it is because they should know in case something happens to you while you're on the job, and you're not able to help yourself. You are not obligated to tell them unless you're being a danger to others by not doing so.

They may have special provisions as far as security checkpoints for people who wear medical equipment - especially since you may not always be able to easily take the insulin pump off depending on how accessible the infusion site is.

In any case, congratulations on the new job!!

Thanks Richmatik I have my diabetes in good control for three years and going.

Yes you should tell them. The Americans with Disabilities Act provides certain protections and rights to persons with diabetes. If you employer doesn't know then they have no reason to respect your needs or rights.

Congrats on the new job.

Thanks Stemwinder

Good Jobs are hard to find I don't want my diabetes to hold me back

Once you have the job, I believe it is time to tell them, especially when you are required to go through X Ray daily. Check carefully what equipment is being used; not all is X Ray. You should be able to get an ADA "accommodation." If it means a daily pat down, I would push hard for an alternative.

(AND I have gone through security at many downtown DC sites: FBI, DOJ, US Courts, as well as airport security for YEARS and have never had a problem. If the pump folks ever ask, just say no!)

Thanks Spock Do I need a letter from my Edo for security? They ask me for one. I have never been ask before.

A standard letter from your Endo is pretty common for security checkpoints. It'd be the same one you need to carry with you for airport security, and should mention that you're a pump user who also carries supplies that include sharps and medications.

I've been carrying one for years, and while I rarely ever get asked for it anymore, there is still the odd occasion where I have to be able to produce it.

You don't have to tell them you are diabetic, but I agree, for your own safety you probably should. If they make a stink about it, then ADA could get involved with getting them the guidelines for how to treat a diabetic employee. Might in impede your progress up the ladder of success, that again, if it can be proven that your diabetes specifically kept you from getting any promotions, raises in pay etc, then you would have a case if they know about it.

This is a general question, even if anyone's diabetes has been under control for 50 years, your body changes, it's needs change, and it is not uncommon as we get older to have to change plans for our diabetes. My question is, why are we so scared, protective, to tell people we are diabetic? If something were to happen to us and we couldn't speak for ourselves, don't we want to be helped and have someone KNOW what might be wrong with us? I don't want EMT's wasting time trying to figure out what's wrong, I want them to know my status and that it could be I am just experiencing a low or high blood sugar.....this is much better than having someone think I am drinking on the job. Can you tell me why we are so afraid of people knowing?

You don't have to tell anyone anything, unless it is a requirement of your job. The need to remove your pump for security is between you and the screener. You should be wearing a medical alert of some sort in case of any emergency and I always carry a pump card that explains the device in my wallet. Congratulations on the job and the excellent control Dman.

Thanks you Guys and gals really helped me out. I had to tell my manager because security didn't know what to do and still wanted me to put it in the x ray machine.

So Management solved the problem for me. So far all is good.