Possible T1d in Toddler

Hello. I have a two year old little girl. She had been drinking a lot, but I’ve since switched her from a sippy to a big girl cup and it has been reduced by a ton. I think it was more for comfort. I did purchase a One Touch Ultra Mini to test her sugar and it seems like 2 - 2.5 hours after a 30-40 carb meal she is still in the 110 - 135 range. Is this normal for a non diabetic? Her HBA1C was 5 and fasting blood glucose was 78. She has tons of energy and hasn’t gained a ton of weight, but hasn’t lost any either. She was born premature at 31 weeks and I did read that they can have 30% less insulin sensitivity then a non preemie child. Could that be it? Oh, and to top it off, I’m not sure how accurate my monitor is. It seems to run anywhere from 84 - 116 within just a few minutes. These numbers found from a fasting on myself. I’m driving myself nuts with worry!

1 Like

Your best course of action is to consult with your Pediatrician.

Getting advice online if you are already having concerns and worry as you state:
"I’m driving myself nuts with worry!"
Is not likely to resolve your concerns.

Sit down with your Pediatrician and discuss your concerns in detail. IMHO that is the best way to attack these concerns head on, have a good in depth conversation and put this behind you. The longer you wait and the more you read online, the more you will simply get anxious.

Especially if this is your first child, it is quite common to get concerned over everything including all the things you read on the internet.

Talk to your Pediatrician.

4 Likes

My pediatrician was a bit concerned with the two hour numbers, but once he got the fasting and HBA1C back he left it at that and didn’t seem concerned. I spoke with another family doctor and he said if she is gaining weight and otherwise healthy I shouldn’t be concerned. I am more less looking to see if anyone else out there has had a non diabetic child with these numbers. I do read widely varying opinions on this topic and yes I am a worrier, but was hoping some first had experiences would possibly put my mind at ease.

@ash11
In my experience, going online to put your mind at ease seems like it should make sense but it doesn’t work out that way. In fact, the reverse is almost always the result.

If you already spoke with your Pediatrician as well as another Family Doctor then you should trust the actual Medical Advice which you were provided with…

1 Like

You’re right. I know that I should. It just conflicts with so many things I read, but I do really appreciate the feedback. I should just let it go.

1 Like

Hi,

Hba1c of 5.0 for a young child is probably at the high end of normal.

No cause for alarm, but maybe worth regular monitoring (hba1c repeat after 6 months).

Also familiarize yourself with the symptoms of diabetes, and be sure to test in case there is a change or you notice symptoms.

Are you or your husband diabetic?

My kids are under quarterly hba1c monitoring for the past year. Their hba1c has been as high as 5.7 for my oldest… but came down with carb restriction. We continue to monitor without being overly alarmed.

Wow…

I hate to continue to test her. I think I’ll just look for the symptoms and test if I think something seems out of whack. I also bought something to check for ketones, so that will likely be something I check in the morning from time to time. My doctor thought 5.0 was pretty much smack in the middle of normal. I was more concerned because I read this test wasn’t totally accurate for little ones. I’ve also read and spoke with several doctors that state until the age of 6 little ones can get higher reading because they need more sugar to grow and then of course occasional swings from illness, etc. I hope and pray that my daughter doesn’t end up with T1D, but I suppose if she does I can do nothing to stop it. I’ve been trying to give her limited sugar, lots of fruits, vegis and protein with carbs. My husband and I are not diabetic, though with some of the numbers I’ve seen for myself on our glucose monitor, heck, I’m probably prediabetic.

Listen to your doctor.

Do not take internet advice over your doctor. The more you search for medical advice on the internet - the more bad stories you will find. There is an never ending supply. Just don’t go there.

I have kids and understand the crazy thoughts that can get stuck in your head. Do not let anything like that dictate your actions or rule your life. That is a rabbit hole of which no good will come.

It sounds like you are pointing yourself on the proper road of not trying to make an issue where your Doctor (both Doctors - the Pediatrician and another Family Doctor) have said no issue exists.

I assure you that you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT cause Type 1 Diabetes by giving excessive sugar. It simply does not work like that. That however is an excellent question to run by your Doctors.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s just really scary. I wish I would’ve never checked her at all at home. Just had the labs and been done with it. Then I wouldn’t be questioning a thing. Being a parent is tough stuff.

1 Like

100% agree.

It seems like your plan to listen to your doc, keep an eye out for symptoms, and test only if you notice anything changing is super reasonable. I would not worry about her diet besides making it healthy broadly as you’d want with any kid, potentially diabetic or not (which I would think not too much sugar, plenty of fruits/veggies, etc, balanced meals, would all be good regardless). No harm in letting her have treats sometimes though if she’s not diabetic*, which it sounds like she’s really not right now, and no one knows what the future will bring, so enjoy the present.

*and even if she becomes diabetic, still plenty of ways to figure out treats, just more complex!

2 Likes