Potato starch iodine & K2 mk4

Has anyone else tried potato starch?

Richard Nikiley runs this site (free the Animal). I have read on his site for a few years. He is very credible.

He has been talking about potato starch for quite a while and has stumbled on some great news for diabetics. You can search around and find some cheaper potato starch. But make sure it says the same stuff as Bob’s potato starch. Please read through the posts. Look at the graphs. Make your own judgments. Some non-diabetics claim it is helping them lose weight as it stops their craving for food all the time. I have bought some of Bob’s potato starch from Amazon and will report back to you all later regarding my Diabetes 2 and my daughter’s type 1.

http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resistant-experiment-continuous.html

P.S. K2 mk4 and Iodine reduces my daughter's need for insulin and my need for metformin.

Good wishes, always

Rick

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2005.00481.x/full

It's amusing to me that Potato-starch is being flogged by a "Paleo" proponent as a means of weight loss and blood sugar control. Not surprising, I'm afraid, since Paleo seems to be the newest magic weight-loss eat-as-much-as-you-want miracle diet.

I would be very skeptical of all of "Bob's" claims. Starch (whether from a potato or anything else) is a carb so you should count the carbs when computing your daughter's insulin needs. Hopefully the package it comes in will at least have the carb count to make that easier.

All I know is that iodine and K2 mk4 absolutely makes me give my daughter half her usual dose of INSULIN.

I was just asking had anyone else tried this complex starch as a friend of mine said he took some before he went hiking and it was the best run he had, had in years.

All I care about is helping in regards to insulin.

Taking 10000 Iu's of D3, 2 mg;s of K2 mk4 three times a day, magnesium, Iodine and selenium caused my wife and I to lose 45 lbs each and my daughter to lose 25 lbs

Thanks ...

t2t

Oh, D3 caused my triglycerides to go from 475 to 84 in several weeks as proven by blood work.

K2 mk4 causes all calcium to be pulled from all soft tissue and arteries and put in the bones, and teeth where it belongs and so many more surprising benefits.

The posting on different types of starches is quite interesting,

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2005.00481.x/full

I started my n=1 trial of resistant starch three weeks ago. I will write more after more time has gone by with this experiment. I like the way it makes me feel. I sense a good effect on my BGs, but need more time and data to vet.

Thanks Terry.

What is resistant starch?

There has been a lot of research on this whole resistant starch thing. I think it is all tied up the fiber thing. Fiber is nominally carbs that "cannot be digested" and is usually considered either soluble or insoluble. But it turns out that is a bad definition. Fiber can be digested and so called soluble fiber is know to be fermented by your gut bacteria and will result in various by products that are absorbed. And then there is resistant starch which by various definitions is either a form of soluble fiber or a third category.

The intriguing thing about fiber digestion is that it is turned into Short Chain Fatty Acids (SFCA) and then absorbed. Those SFCAs are thought to be beneficial. And it does seem strange that eating carbs results in our absorbing fat. There have been studies showing improved insulin sensitivity when you supplement with resistant starch. Maybe the SFCA does something. I'm certainly not convinced. I think most people could benefit by replacing simple carbs with higher fiber content foods containing resistant starch, but that is mostly about reducing the glucose surge.

Resistant starch is dietary carbohydrates that chemically could be absorbed like regular carbs into blood glucose but because of their "form" they resist digestion and pass through your small intestine into your large intestine. Most people can ferment portions of the resistant starch and generate by products that can be absorbed by your body. There are four kinds of resistant starch based on whether the mechanisms that cause it to be resistant to digestion (such as chemical modification with Dreamfields).

Thanks for the information. I've heard of Dreamfields and actually thought about it the other day when I was in the grocery store, as I'd like to check it out. Hopefully it doesn't use potato starch, though, because I can't eat that. I wasn't able to find it in the grocery store, either.

I have bought potato starch at an Asian supermarket. I used to use it as a thickener like flour or cornflour. But this was before I had diabetes. I am not sure if I would use it now since I find potatoes too problematic.

Both potato starch and tapioca starch are used extensively in gluten-free baking; they are high carb. Where does one buy a "resistant starch" potato starch?

I think most people could benefit by replacing simple carbs with higher fiber content foods containing resistant starch, but that is mostly about reducing the glucose surge.

There are foods that naturally contain resistant starch, like green bananas. Also potatoes and rice that have been cooked and cooled have a fair amount of resistant starch. As a T1D, I'm fairly certain that if I eat potatoes that have been cooked and cooled I will easily exceed my insulin's ability to keep up with the easily digested component.

In general I agree that foods are the best way to deliver all that your body needs but my compromised metabolism has one critical pathway that cannot deal with it.

My experiment with resistant starch revealed this: it does not raise my blood sugar like a normal carbohydrate. One unsettled question I have: does the short chain fatty acid production in the large intenstine require any insulin to metabolize it?

Potato starch that has been cooked is turned into normal, easily absorbed starch. My packaging lists 10 grams of carbs per tablespoon, if cooked.

SCFAs are lipids and like Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs) are absorbed directly into the portal vein. My understanding is that SFCAs and MCFAs require no insulin in order to be metabolized or utilized.

It can be found in health food stores and some grocery stores. I bought this brand on Amazon.

Thanks, Brian. That's good to know.

Whoa, I’m a little stunned. After experimenting with various supplements for a few years to try and fix my starch tolerance, this is exactly the combo that seems to work. (I didn’t see this thread when it first came out.)

My post meal BG’s used to hit 150s 45-60 mins after a meal with 50g of starch, now it’s <100. It’s been like this for a few months now. It had been waxing and waning while I tried different supplement combos.

My supplement regimen includes half a 12 mg Iodoral 1x/wk, 3 tbsp raw potato starch daily (plus inulin and acacia powder on some days), 5,000 IU D3 with K2, and astaxanthin (an antioxidant which I have found no evidence online does anything for BG control). I stopped Metformin for a month and it seems to have no effect. (I plan to re-start for its anti cancer and longevity effects). I also stopped cinnamon and Chromium.

My diet is moderate-carb paleo (no grains, no industrial seed aka “veggie” oils, no processed sugar, and I get starch from tubers and white rice), and I eat 2 sometimes 3 square meals a day with no snacks, sometimes with good amounts of starch. I regularly eat homemade kefir.

I was never overweight and never had much insulin resistance, but I seemed to have poor first-phase insulin response to go with morning BG in the high 90s. When I first started taking potato starch the immediate effect was my 90 minute post meal BG dropped from 120s to 100, and morning BG to the low 90s.

While the Iodione, prebiotic, D3+K2 combo works great for me and for some others it may not work for everyone. It took me 2 years to find this combo. (would’ve been faster if I found this thread and tried it!). There are 11 subtypes as per Dr Scwartz, so every individual needs to figure out what works:
http://www.endocrineweb.com/news/diabetes/19592-diabetes-diagnosis-future-11-types

P.S. I buy Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch from the grocery. Their Tapioca Starch works too. If you DO NOT heat it, it stays in the form of Resistant Starch which you cannot digest but gut bugs can. You can take some and measure your BG 45 minutes later. It will barely budge. If you start taking it you have to start with 1/2 tbsp and slloooooowwwwllly increase. If you take too much too soon everyone around you will know. :wink: