Powerhouse Butternut Squash, Carrot, Red Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups butternut squash (peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch cubes)
- 4 carrots (chopped)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne as garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoon cilantro as garnish (chopped, optional)
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and garlic and saute for 8 to 10 minutes. Add all spices, broth, water, and lentils. Increase heat to medium-high, stir well and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Using a blender, lightly puree the soup, leaving it slightly chunky. Garnish soup with cilantro, pinch of cayenne pepper, and salt as desired.
Note: If you don’t have vegetable broth, you can use bouillon and dissolve the equivalent in 4 cups of water, or just simply use water.
Per Serving: Calories: 238; Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 158mg; Carbohydrate: 44g; Fiber: 11g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 2g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A: 265%; Vitamin C: 58%; Calcium: 17%; Iron: 23%