Pre-soaking Dexcom G7

Hi, all. I’m new to Dexcom G7 CGM, so this will be my first change of sensors today. A few hours ago I got notice of my sensor expiring in 12 hours. Several of you have mentioned pre-soaking and I thought I’d try that. So I inserted my new sensor leaving the old one in, as it is still active. My question is, do I hold off pairing the new one until I remove the old one, or do I pair the new one and leave both old and new in until the old expires?

I always presoaked earlier models until the G7 and then ran both the G6 and G7 in parallel for a few months and no longer found any benefit to presoak with the G7 so stopped. I just take a picture of the QR code on the G7, insert it, pair it and 30 minutes later start getting valid readings.

Thank you, CJ114.

1 Like

My question is, do I hold off pairing the new one until I remove the old one, or do I pair the new one and leave both old and new in until the old expires?

Only pair the new one after stopping the previous one. I still see significant errors with the G7 sensor in the hours after insertion, so I put the new one in several hours before a sensor session is ending. A few hours later I stop the old sensor, remove it, and start (and pair) the new sensor. Within less than 5 minutes the new sensor is giving data, and usually on the Dexcom app the new sensor backfills its readings so the graph shows both the old sensor and new one during the time of overlap.

I put a new sensor on about 12 hrs before I stop the old one and am very impressed when the new sensor works well immediately for me.

1 Like