Pregnancy Lows & CGM?!

Hi all! Have any of you lovely ladies experienced many lows, with the tight control I’m trying to keep I am finding a bit of lows, especially post work out and in the middle of the night. My lows range 50-60 usually not too much lower but did have a 46 last night. My doctor told me lows can be more dangerous than highs. I’m curious if any of your doctors have given you any more in depth information about lows and how dangerous they really are, I cant seem to find any info online.
Also, I’m hoping to get a CGM, I think it will really help in the middle of the night especially. If any of you have one of these let me know how you like it or where you got it if insurance didn’t cover it since I’m guessing my crappy insurance wont cover it! :o)
Thanks! Kristi

hey kristi,

i don’t have a cgm and i am also getting frequent lows due to my constant striving for tight control. the lows are dangerous in that if you have them frequently, you may lose your symptoms for detecting lows later on in your pregnancy - which is dangerous for obvious reasons. i find that if i go on a brisk walk with my dog after breakfast, my blood sugar plummets. eating a snack with protein before you go to bed will help stabilize your blood sugars during the night. a piece of cheese or nuts work for me and don’t make me feel like i’m constantly stuffing my face with food…

hope that helps! good luck!

marianne

Thanks, yeah my nightstand staple now is my sugar monitor and a banana or glucose tabs!

Lows are dangerous for the same reason lows were dangerous pre-pregnancy - loss of consciousness, seizure, inability to treat yourself, etc, but they do not do any harm to the baby. Highs do.

Lows are common during pregnancy as we run our numbers tighter, but you shouldn’t feel incapacitated by them. Work with your team to adjust your dosages week to week if necessary to see if you can stay out of the 50 and below range and keep low treatments close at hand.

I started on a CGM while trying to conceive my daughter (now 18mos old) and am pregnant again. I’ve used it continuously for nearly 3 years and can’t imagine my life without it. Hopefully your insurance will approve it - they often will for pregnancy!

In my first and half of my second trimester, I swear I must have a stock in the glucose tab company. I ate bottles of that stuff just to stay above 4.0

I wear a CGM which helped immensely with the lows and now is working wonders for when the highs start. I don’t have any coverage for it, but if you can afford the extra expense, it is well worth it for a more manageable pregnancy - in my opinion. Worth the investment.

From what I have read lows are only dangerous if you actually lose consciousness and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my CGM and highly recommend getting one! I have been alerted to lows many times especially in the middle of the night. It has made my ever increasing insulin easier to adjust to as well as I can see if it is too much of an increase or too little 24 hours a day.

I wear a Dexcom CGM and have also considered it to be an incredible tool in battling pregnancy lows. At first I wasn’t sure about using a CGM (I told my hubby that Dex and I had a “love-hate relationship”), but have since come to REALLY appreciate it. I am currently 15 weeks along, but between about weeks 7 and 13 I experienced frequent lows. My endo actually reemed me out at my last appointment for having too many lows. We had a pretty heated conversation when he recommended radically reducing my basal rates. When you spend 24-7 working your butt off to keep sugars down, the last thing you want to hear from your endo is “Hey, let’s cut your basal rates in half now.” Seriously? He did explain what Melissa was saying- hypos are dangerous during pregnancy for the same reason that they are dangerous at other times in life. You may pass out, get injured, have a seizure, etc… His concern was that, in the first half of pregnancy, we don’t know our bodies like we think we do. A growing baby will “use up” more and more of your glucose at unpredictable rates. So, we may think we can control and anticipate a hypo when in reality, we may drop faster and lower than what we’re used to. I grudgingly accepted his explanation and VERY grudgingly changed my basals. My numbers have been higher in the 2 weeks since that appointment, particularly at night. I’ll be very curious to see the next a1c.