Prison Break

I have had readings in the 40's which were wrong too, not sure what happened with that. I once got a 400 reading when I had some sugar on my finger.

Because its for entertainment only, and the vast majority of the viewers don’t know or care anything about diabetes or insulin. It’s not a documentary or anything presenting itself as historically accurate. If they had hired a consultant to explain realities to the producers of any show it just wouldn’t be entertaining. Imagine Lord of the Rings of with no magic or monsters… They have no responsibility to be factually accurate their motivation is solely to entertain…

Whoah! Never heard of that... anabolic steroids yes. Insulin? I would think it would encourage their bodies to pack on the lard, not muscle.

You remember anywhere online that you saw that, Sarah? I'd be really interested to read about it!

I really liked the series when it originally aired. If you can suspend disbelief and get past the diabetes nonsense, it's worth continuing.

Even the second season was pretty good. The entire concept really ran out of steam after breaking out of two prisons, though.

A hobbit with fake diabetes would be very entertaining.

just google insulin and body building. i don't know how they do it or if they still do...seems cray cray to me.

Indeed, there's a lot to be read about it if you google. Guy explaining why bodybuilders want to use it, but shouldn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqXR1PzPClY

Explanation of how to manipulate your endogenous insulin to help your bodybuilding:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html

Okay I am watching it now on Netflix and it is pretty good but now the doctor started catching on and took another bg. It was 189 and he was smiling when he was told he this proved he had diabetes. He must have gotten the blocker medication from the dealer. Oh boy what a plot.

next he got stuck in the foot with a knife. I can't believe it.

Or a Wizard, even ?!?

I agree, imo it actually takes away from these type of shows and movies etc. when anything is so inaccurate, reality enhances it for me unless it is really something like a sci fi, mythic etc. type of story. And of course you don't want to misrepresent a disease either as you say. The thing is I'm sure they do hire medical consultants but still they have crazy representations anyway.

I agree to some extent but its the norm not the exception on television these days and the only reason we are talking about it in this case is because we all get together here to talk about diabetes— we wouldn’t be talking about it if, say, hepatitis was totally misrepresented… I’m babbling but I’m trying to say that if we really started caring about fictional tv shows being accurate there are a lot more to address than just them misrepresenting diabetes.

Dit Toe, Sam! I don't take stuff I see on tv to the bank or the doc with me. Some shows are WAY worse and they ARE docs and they are not fiction!

...or an Orc

Gang, if only you knew...

I minored in physics in college, and it has been a life-long interest of mine. Especially Quantum Mechanics and String Theory.

If my "suspend disbelief" brain feature were not working well, I wouldn't be able to watch TV or movies. And I'm talking about stuff that's supposed to be "real" -- like the diabetes issue in Prison Break -- not fictional stuff like Sci-Fi.

Watching the news can get quite aggravating.

Ignorance abounds. We're all lucky to not know as much as we don't. Otherwise, we'd be constantly pulling our hair out at all the misinformation, ignorance, etc. that flows forth in entertainment, news, and sadly to a frightening degree, academic institutions.

Like I said, a healthy disbelief-suspender is critical to a happy life.

For sure, Dee!

Hahahah... all you need for a high BG reading is duct tape, a match and a compass! Just McGyver it!