Protein in the Urine

What does it mean when they tell you that your child has protein in their urine and that we have to do a test where they will measure all of the pee for 24 hours to see how much protein, is this correctible?
thanks keri

Protein in the urine can be caused by a number of things - a urinary tract infection is probably at the top of the list, but also complications of diabetes. I have had a couple of instances where it has shown up and then disappeared.
The dip test that they do at the clinic is just an approximation. People can excrete protein at different times of the day in different amounts, so to get a bigger picture they have you do a 24 hour collection and then measure the results.
From what I’ve read, if the problem is due to db and hasn’t advanced too far, good control can improve the situation.
I think you probably need to get the complete picture from the doc. Yeah, I know, waiting for test results is the pits.
Good luck.

Hi Keri,

Protein in the urine is also called Proteinuria. Proteinuria is a sign of a kidney problem coz normally protein is reabsorbed in the proximal tubules of the nephron, in your kidney. anyways, presence of protein in the urine is best confirmed by doing a 24 hour urine protein.
The goal of treatment is to first control the blood sugar and blood pressure. Doctors usually prescribed a medicine -Angiotensin Converting Enzyme(ACE inhibitors). This helps to protect the kidney

As in your child’s case, I dont know if he/she can take this ACE inhibitors, Im on Lisonopril.

Ditto to what Marvin says and I use same drug. :slight_smile:

I have microalbumin (form of protein) in my urine and the ace inhibitor lowered the level. I am do for another 24 hour test, but have avoided it for over a year.

Out of sight out of mind.

Hi Keri,
Sometimes a child can spill protein in the urine. A 24 hour test will tell the doctor if it is the usual albumin or a different protein Don’t worry about the doctor starting your child on a blood pressure drug or anything right now. It simply won’t happen right away. If the protein continues he/she may order a simple scan. This will let him know if there is any kidney damage or anything else going on. The scan can be a simple CT scan or a dopplar study. It is easy. They just hold a little tool and run it over the belly and side and the test is done. Now that the doctor knows the protein is there he will watch it.
The 24 hour test is simple and can be done as often as the doctor wants. Possibly he may want you to check the urine yourself from time to time. This can be done easily too with a little dip stick.
Indeed wait to get the whole picture from the doc. Maybe this is as simple as flushing him out after an infection.