Prozac

Is anyone here taking prozac? Did it make a difference in your blood sugar readings? I tried Lexapro and Zoloft and hated both … my doctor wants me to try prozac but I’m wondering if it will have a negative effect on me.

Thanks for your input!

I have a history of major clinical depression going back several generations on my mother’s side of the family.
I have taken nearly every SSRI, including Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Paxil and Prozac. I did not notice any of them messing with my blood sugar.
I have read that many people with depression need to try at least 2-3 meds before they find the right one/right dose.
Cymbalta worked for me for a couple of years, but now I’m back on Celexa. It definitely dulls my mood a bit - I haven’t had a good cry in a couple of years. But, it also prevents me from having what I call “crazy woman melt-downs” and my moods are much more predictable.
If your doc suggests, it, express your concern to him and if he doesn’t answer clearly or seems to brush you off, ask again.. Also, I have found that sometimes I’m able to talk to his nurse, and she has a lot more time to discuss things.
Good luck. I hope you find something that works.

Thanks, Kathy … I guess I’ll take it! I don’t mind being a bit “dull” although I’d love to feel like myself! I’m numb already right now … lots on my plate (but not carbs!) and I’m not dealing very well with very much of it.

I have been on my Prozac for about a month and it has helped me so much in controling my depression and mood swings and i really havent noticed a major change in my BGs. I just got lucky and hit the right anti-depresent the first time. Plus the Prozac has a longer half life so if you forget to take it you wont have a melt down or freak out moment.